Car Reccomendations?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are in need of a car.

So, we need something under $10,000 ideally....might go up to $13,000 depending on what payments would be. Used, of course.

Preferably not a piece of
Pontiac.
We have a Chevy Impala(06, I think) & love it, but aren't overly impressed with the older styles of Impalas....and can't find a newer with lower mileage for a good price.

Do you guys have any suggestions for cars to look at?
Like a Chevy Aveo, we've looked at a few used, are they good cars?
What about the Hatchback style of vehicles, how safe are they? (Dad worries about things flying in the windows in the rear should there be an accident)

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never heard of a Scion?

I'm also in the boonies, so it'd have to be a vehicle I could find someone locally to service!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Never heard of a Scion?

I'm also in the boonies, so it'd have to be a vehicle I could find someone locally to service!
Scion's an offshoot of Toyota... good mileage (and only one of them looks like a toaster on wheels.
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a 1998 Cadillac d'Elegance Basic I
!

There are also quite a few used PT Cruisers...esp. in our price range. A big flag went up as to why there are so many....are they good vehicles? What about gas mileage?

ETA: There are also a lot of these, the Saturn IONs under $10,000.
http://www.minnesotacars.com/Search/...?IID=500136255
Are they any good?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go for a Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. Sorry to say it, but those are much better all around cars then the American ones. We've had very little trouble with our Toyotas/Hundais compared to any of the American cars.

DH says until American cars are better made and get the same gas mileage as Toyota, he will stick to them. I love my Toyota Corolla

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

If you can find a Honda in your price range...

Else, maybe a used Scion?

Everyone knows I peddle Hondas like no other. Any Honda I have owned has been amazing. On the flip side, any domestic I have owned has been a LEMON.

The downside to buying a Honda is you will pay more for one, and this is because they don't depreciate HALF as bad as domestics do. The good thing is when you go to sell it, you are likely to get ALOT more than you would a domestic.

The upside of course is they last forever, thats no myth. Also, like I said they keep their resale value.

I would NEVER buy a domestic vehicle again. Ever. PLEASE, if you do anything research reviews and specs until your blue in the face. Epinions.com is a good site for that. The biggest mistake people make is buying a car because its cute or cheap. KNOW what your buying inside and out...if you do our research, you will feel alot better about your decision.

After Honda, I would consider Toyota or Subaru. Thats about as far as I'll go. Currently I drive a 97 Civic..just upgraded from a 89 Accord. I love my Blueington (thats his name)..no problems.

Any questions Nat, just ask..I am a car person

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Scion's an offshoot of Toyota... good mileage (and only one of them looks like a toaster on wheels.
)
I love the Scion...and I guess I like that toaster look..hey, lookat Honda Elements!
Biggest toaster ever!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vote is for a Honda or Toyota as well. I made the switch after having issues with previous GM cars.

I had a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero - engine repair within 25,000 miles

The 2003 Chevy Malibu - brakes completely went on it within 30,000 miles. It was a $500- 600 job.

My 2005 Honda Civic - So far so good! I'm close to 37,000 miles!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Honda vote, It's very difficult to go wrong with a used Honda...I've had two- would still have the first one if some jerk didn't hit me-which brings me to my second point that they are not only reliable, but safe.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

Another Honda vote, It's very difficult to go wrong with a used Honda...I've had two- would still have the first one if some jerk didn't hit me-which brings me to my second point that they are not only reliable, but safe.
Yet another Honda vote! We have had many Hondas over the years but ended up selling them because they were too small for our family. Regardless of that, they're good cars.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm suggesting a Honda also!! They really are great cars and you can definately find a good one with low milage in your price range. I bought my 99 Honda Civic EX 2 years ago for only $5,000. If you're going to a used dealership they should have plenty newer models in the $8-12,000 range!

If you need any help PM me! BF has turned me into a car freak so I know a lot about pricing and stuff now! Even if you just want to run a price by to make sure they aren't trying to play you, I can help. Good luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you want a car>>???

Aveo s are good little cars .... and for that price range you might get a new one ... good gas milage

I have a PT cruiser ... decent mileage 20 ish in town to 30 ish highway .... NOT great in snow ( I am buying some good tires this year
)... Why so many ...lol... they had lines and wait list for the first few yrs ( those would be 5-7 yrs old) and many OLDER people have them as second cars

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK.....since I'm seeing "foreign" cars liked so much, how can I find out if there is someplace to get one serviced in the boonies here?

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

OK.....since I'm seeing "foreign" cars liked so much, how can I find out if there is someplace to get one serviced in the boonies here?
I'm pretty sure most shops are able to work on Honda and Toyota's since they are relatively common cars. You would have more of a problem if you were buying a really expensive BMW or something of the like.

It probably doesn't hurt to give a call to whoever it is that fixes your current car though.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

I'm pretty sure most shops are able to work on Honda and Toyota's since they are relatively common cars. You would have more of a problem if you were buying a really expensive BMW or something of the like.

It probably doesn't hurt to give a call to whoever it is that fixes your current car though.

Japanese cars aren't fancy to get serviced at all..its German cars that are trickier

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always go to your local library and check out the lemonaide car guide books, they have great reviews. they list all know problems with any given model.