My cat has a UTI

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her in today and she has what I expected. She was given some medicine for me to give her every 12 hours called Clavamox. I feel so sorry for her right now. She sits in the litter box for like 5 min and she leaves behind little quarter size pee-pods. She had xrays to make sure it wasnt any kinda stones blocking her from urinating. Anyways that was my day today

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JohnTS71

I took her in today and she has what I expected. She was given some medicine for me to give her every 12 hours called Clavamox. I feel so sorry for her right now. She sits in the litter box for like 5 min and she leaves behind little quarter size pee-pods. She had xrays to make sure it wasnt any kinda stones blocking her from urinating. Anyways that was my day today
Sorry to hear about your kitty. That her UTI goes away quickly. Did your Vet suggest a change in her diet?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and took medication. His test was negative yesterday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah he gave us a 4lb bag of hill's prescription diet. I guess all my cats will be eating this now. I feel sorry for her
I watch her go to the litter box and just sit there for a while. Can she pass this on to the other cats?

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Judi

and took medication. His test was negative yesterday.
After the medication was gone you took your cat for another test right?

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

No. I wish your Vet would have prescribed a canned food for the moisture content.
I agree with this. The high moisture content in canned food encourages frequent urination. The idea is that the less time urine stays in the bladder the less opportunity there is for bacterial infections to develop. Here are links to articles that explain it more thoroughly than I can.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...needcannedfood
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2729

Also, be sure to ask your vet if it is OK for the other cats to eat the prescription food. Often this food is designed to acidify the urine in order to prevent stones or crystals from forming. For a cat with normal urine the food may make the urine too acidic, actually causing crystals to form.

I hope your kitty is feeling better soon. I know how miserable they are with an infection and how hard it is to see them hurting. Positive vibes to your kitty.

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to ask him how long it takes for the medicine to work?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You *should* see improvement within a few days. If not, then by all means, taking her back to the vet. It's been awhile since I've dealt with a UTI, so I cannot remember for sure.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is not the best antibiotic for UTI's. If you notice your kitty is still having issues after it finishes the first round, ask your doctor about switiching it onto Baytril instead.

You need to get your kitty some Nutro Gourmet Selections- Roasted Chicken (orange bag- you can get it at Petsmart, petco, and online). It is especially formulated for kitties prone to UTI problems- it is VERY good at helping with those issues! (it does have some grains/etc in it- but they are benificial from what i understand in helping kitties prone to UTI issues.)

Also- your kitty may start to go potty outside of the litter pan because it might associate the litter pan with pain (as a result of the UTI). If this should happen- get your kitty a brand new litter pan (old ones, even when clean may still have superficial scratches which will hold the odor of their urine and remind them of their UTI issues.) and add some Cat Attract litter to the new litter pan- this stuff works VERY well. It takes a little consistancy and patience- but it does work! It is a bit pricy- about $12-15 a bag- but you should only need one bag to get kitty back to using its litter pan if it does have issues. (pm me if you want to know more and i'll try and help!)

-EDIT- Clavamox takes about 7-10 days to really get into their systems and can take up to 2-3 rounds to knock out a UTI issue. Baytril or Doxycycline work MUCH more quickly and tend to have the kitty feeling better much sooner! I would suggest asking your vet about switching meds if you don't notice an improvement soon. (also- do NOT let them give you Amoxi or Amixi Drops- it won't do a thing
)

Be sure that if you do provide your pet with soft food right now that you avoid all seafood flavors- they will do more harm than good if your kitty has a UTI.
Stick to poultry flavors.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
... but read the cans ... chicken flavor may be tuna and salmon with chicken

johnts71

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so here is what I notice after a day and a half.

she doesnt camp in the litter box

her pee saucers are twice as big as yesterday

she seems lively and energetic

mom and the queen still hiss at the 2 kids...when does this wear off?

thanks for the replies