Stink Rear

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
K I know cats make it a habit of keeping very well groomed but lately I've noticed that our Skye has a very raunchy smelling rear. To the point that when she sleep next to me or sits on my shoulder I gag
We gave her a bath when we first got her 3 weeks ago cuz she smelled like the shelter. Do we give her another bath and clean her...... ya very well or what to do?

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is she eating? That's the biggest factor. If it's lower quality food, the cat will have more, and very stinky, poop and an equally stinky rear!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now she has been eating Nutro Max Cat kitten food. But we also have a bag of the Science Diet kitten.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nutro is a pretty decent food. I'm personally not so crazy about SD. Wet food can help, too. Nutro would be a good choice.

How old is she? Sometimes kittens have more stinky rear ends; I think their "systems" are still adjusting. Leo was a very stinky kitten, but luckily it's improved with age.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CurlyQ629

Nutro is a pretty decent food. I'm personally not so crazy about SD. Wet food can help, too. Nutro would be a good choice.

How old is she? Sometimes kittens have more stinky rear ends; I think their "systems" are still adjusting. Leo was a very stinky kitten, but luckily it's improved with age.
She is 4 months. The wet food she's on is the same. The only reason I got the Science Diet was because we had a coupon for a free bag.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd probably chalk it up to her young age. Stress can play a role too, so if she's still adjusting to her new environment, that could be a contributing factor as well. Hopefully it improves; I've been there!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try Petkin KittyWipes, obtainable at all the major "pet" supply sources; or just taking some TP moistened with warm water. After a few times, she may get the idea that she needs to groom herself more. It could be a consequence of her having been incarcerated -- never a very happy situation for ANYONE! Good luck, patience and love will pay off.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

You could try Petkin KittyWipes, obtainable at all the major "pet" supply sources; or just taking some TP moistened with warm water. After a few times, she may get the idea that she needs to groom herself more. It could be a consequence of her having been incarcerated -- never a very happy situation for ANYONE! Good luck, patience and love will pay off.
I've cleaned her a few times already with the Charmin wet wipe thingies because we noticed she had some dingle berries stuck to her. Hopefully it'll clear itself up.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she long furred? You could try getting a sanitary cut for her--they cut off the long hair on the rear.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Is she long furred? You could try getting a sanitary cut for her--they cut off the long hair on the rear.
Not really she's a tabby.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible she needs to have her anal glands expressed by the vet. It might be worth checking that out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
things to ask the vet

worms???

anal glands

hygine shave

Nutro max is good but if it continues she may need a similiar one like natural choice