canned food question re: age/variety

mommie2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 gorgeous kitties named Whiskey & Guinness, almost 7 months old. They free feed on Natural Balance kitten dry food daily and do well. They get canned food for breakfast and dinner. The girl seems to like dry food better than canned. They both don't eat that much of the canned (nutro max kitten) actually but the boy eats more in general.
I buy at Petsmart. I'm wondering if they are totally bored since there is only 1kitten flavor.
Is 7 months too early to give them the adult NB canned food?
Or is another brand of canned food the Petsmart sells good enough quality? (i've heard bits about proplan and meow mix??)
I'm wondering if i try these other brands for a few months to keep with the kitten formula or if I can move them up to natural balance adult canned...
THanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
do a quick search on here for wet foods ... I am not home so my list is not easy access,,,

OHH and 500 pts to anyone who can get it

it is fine to add in adult foods JUST NO LIGHT?lite/or SENIOR

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

do a quick search on here for wet foods ... I am not home so my list is not easy access,,,

OHH and 500 pts to anyone who can get it

it is fine to add in adult foods JUST NO LIGHT?lite/or SENIOR
Which list? I have seen several.
Here's one:

Brands to look at

Nutro
Natural balance
Solid gold
Evo ( this is grain free ).. Innova is it grain containing counterpart
Wellness ( mine love the wet )
Natures variety
Evangers ( wet only at this time)
Felidea
Merrick ( another wet only)
Orijen ( mostly Canadian at this time)

_____or______
Since she is shopping at a "big box" store, here is your list of preferred wet foods that can be purchased there:

Wets
Natural life
Meow mix
Sheba in the gold tubs
Iams ( chn , beef and oceanfish entrees)

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the Authority brand that petsmart sells. It's not that bad, but it is made by the same company as makes IAMS. But I used it for quite a while for my kids. They have both the loaf style and the cuts in sauce.

The Nutro Natural pouches at Petsmart aren't bad either when you check the ingrediants. Those are all cuts in sauce.

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Petco sells Natural Balance, which are all loaf style foods.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stick to premium brands and not feed supermarket brands which contain byproducts, fillers, unnatural dyes, etc. Nutro Kitten is a good food; Natural Balance states it fulfills all life stage nutrient requirements, and it is very good food, so I would perhaps offer it as an alternative. Personally, because of the massive recall of Nutro pouch varieties, I would shy away from them (I've never bought them anyway -- there's just something about pouches that turns me off) and stick with tinned or the loaf varieties. ProPlan is sort of "middle-grade" and while I do feed it at present as an alternative, I'm planning to stop once our stock is used up, as my clowder seem to have some digestive issues with it and in my experience, any Purina foods I've ever tried have been served in conjunction with digestive issues (that's by way of not "blaming" anyone -- you can draw your own conclusions).