Why is it?

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is it when you get a job the other jobs that you applied for start calling!?

Well I got a call from the police call centre that I applied to over 2 months ago, they want to interview me. But i'm currently working i've been here 3 weeks. The job is goo but it dosn't pay very well.

I know the job with the police would pay better and have bennifits but the job i'm at they have had a lot of problems finding someone who can deal with the job I don't want to disapoint them. They are good people.

I know I havn't gotten the job with the police yet but i'm already feeling guilty just having an interviw with them without telling my current employer. Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

Why is it when you get a job the other jobs that you applied for start calling!?

Well I got a call from the police call centre that I applied to over 2 months ago, they want to interview me. But i'm currently working i've been here 3 weeks. The job is goo but it dosn't pay very well.

I know the job with the police would pay better and have bennifits but the job i'm at they have had a lot of problems finding someone who can deal with the job I don't want to disapoint them. They are good people.

I know I havn't gotten the job with the police yet but i'm already feeling guilty just having an interviw with them without telling my current employer. Anyone ever been in a similar situation?
Go for the interview. Anytime I've been hired by a company and then given an option to interview some where else I do, simply because I can compare the two on an Apples to Apples basis.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
honestly no! If I didn't have the awesome job I have, I would be looking left and right for a job that paid better and had better benefits. "If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will" words to live by

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been the same way... I hesitated taking the current library job I have, because I knew I was trying, almost desperately, to get into the system of the county I actually LIVE in. I'm commuting 20 miles each way for a part time job, but the people are decent and the hours are fixed. I've been there 6 months now.

So, after three months there, my golden opportunity opened up in the other county. I felt huge guilt over it... now, because they got slammed with applications for two positions (I applied for both, I'm well qualified for either one), I was essentially waitlisted for both. I'm on the 'short list' since I'm qualified for both. A couple days ago I got the letter. I'm up for testing for the first position. Of the two, it pays a little lower, but still better than what I'm making now. So, I go in for the testing in a week.

Do i feel a little guilty? Yes, of course. I've struggled getting decent work here, so I'm grateful to those who have hired me... but I know where i want to work, and if they offer me enough hours to make a living, I won't look back.

Amanda

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous siggy you have there! So sorry to see that you have lost your Duke, but glad he is waiting at the Bridge...

It's the "feast or famine" thing about the jobs, isn't it? Well, I'd feel the same way, but actually, in this big, bad world, you do have to think what is best for you and your loved ones, and go with that -- so that will take the guilt away. You're trying to make the best choice and I hope you're able to do so! Good luck!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! :hey:

I was unemployed for 7 awful months. Then I found this job that I THOUGHT was good... until I started
I felt bad betraying the company by looking for another job- but 2 months after I started, I applied for one job & interviewed for it while I was still working at the other job.

I went to the interview & got hired 3 days later. Took the job & never been happier!

My message to you- dont worry about the company if they aren't going to pay you what your worth! Take the interview, its not going to hurt anything! It could be for the better!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about letting down the other company. Honestly if an employee isn't happy working there, then further down the road you may become the grumpy employee.

The way I look at life: If you think you're going to regret not ever finding out...find out.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to me like everytime I look for a job. Nowhere will call for months and then all of the sudden you get a job and everyone else calls. Definitely go to your interview. I made the mistake of saying no to a company before and regretted it because I hated the job I was doing at the time. The funny thing is, I now work for the company I said no to before.
I re-applied and they hired me the second time about a year later.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about looking at the other job. And don't feel bad about taking the job, as long as you handle things fairly and do whatever you can to help train someone to replace you.

You have to do what's right for yourself -- because no matter how loyal you may be to a company, you cannot trust the company to be loyal toward you in return.

It's a hard truth, and I learned it the hard way. Trust me -- I just saved you eighteen years of your life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found out what the interview proccess intails, it's a typeing test because you have to be able to type 35 words per minute.
Then if you get past that you have to transcribe dictation from a voice recorder.
Then if you get past that there is a part that you have to copy a letter with full punctuation exactly without error.
Then..... you have a geography test on the area that you have to be able to pinpoint certain locations across the region for example "what is located at the junction of hwy 43 and hwy 7"
It's 3 days of testing to see if you get a job there but the pay is excelent I am only hoping my typeing is up to snuff. I am working on my spelling (i've always had problems with certain words)