The lunch thieves - a rant

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work for a very large corporation and they have 3 separate companies in one building. We all have separate work space but share the cafeteria and the big break room. This is the room with the big fridges and vending machines.

Well, last week, someone stole a small box of junior mints out of my lunch bag that was in the fridge. It ticked me off but since it was one of those tiny ones, I didn't make a big deal of it.

Well, Monday, the same thing happened but in that case it was a full sized kitkat bar!!! I was sooooo angry that someone would violate my space by pawing through my lunch! I now keep my lunch at my desk, using one of those refreezable blue ice thingies.

I have heard of some people actually stole people's whole lunch!

I just wished I had a huge fake cockroach that I could attached with fishing line to the inside of my bag. Then when the thief opened it, it would "jump" out at them! That would be priceless!! I thought of putting a note in it saying "Keep your <censored> filthy hands out of my lunch!!!!" but it would be just like the thief to report this as harrassment.

Grrrrrr

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard of that happening before. It's a shame. I know they have a video monitor on the fridge at my old job's northern office because of that. They found it's usually someone who shouldn't be in there that does the food swiping. That would be one way to get on my bad side. I'm overprotective with my food.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a little cruel, but you could probably find out who's doing it. Do you know the laxatives that are made to look like/taste like chocolate? Leave a gift in a baggy with your lunch.
Just don't forget and accidentally eat them yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it has to be someone that works there since it is a secure building. You cannot get in without a badge and visitors, (even in the common cafeteria) are not allowed. We work with sensitive information (SSN's and such). To even work there, you need to pass a FBI background check.

The person that I think is doing the stealing works for the cell phone company there. That company hires a lot of riffraff. They cater to teenagers, so there are a lot of kids (and by kids, I mean late teens and early 20's) working there.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used to have a problem with the residents (doctors) stealing our lunches. One of my fellow co workers caught one red handed eating their lunch. After that, we did not have problems on that floor. Of course, then i transferred and the lunch stealing began all over again

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It might be a little cruel, but you could probably find out who's doing it. Do you know the laxatives that are made to look like/taste like chocolate? Leave a gift in a baggy with your lunch.
I like how you think.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I actually thought about that. I would get into sooooo much trouble if management found out. Besides, I don't want to waste the money. Those are expensive!!

My hubby actually did this to a guy in high school that was stealing from his locker. Needless to say, he never stole from Mike's locker again!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

We used to have a problem with the residents (doctors) stealing our lunches. One of my fellow co workers caught one red handed eating their lunch. After that, we did not have problems on that floor. Of course, then i transferred and the lunch stealing began all over again
My hubby is guilty of that when he worked in surgery. They would stock the doctor's lounge with all this yummy food and the orderlies were not supposed to go in there. My hubby was in charge of stocking the lounge with scrubs for the doctor's to change into, and would take some of the sandwiches and goodies to put in his locker for later.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

My hubby is guilty of that when he worked in surgery. They would stock the doctor's lounge with all this yummy food and the orderlies were not supposed to go in there. My hubby was in charge of stocking the lounge with scrubs for the doctor's to change into, and would take some of the sandwiches and goodies to put in his locker for later.
I think I might be a little warped, but to me that is better than the other way around. MD's and residents get so many perks with the hospital, not to mention the pay that MD's get, that it doesn't seem fair to me that they steal others food.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Worriedmommy

I like how you think.
I don't. It's usually a very confusing process, and I lose my train of thought. I'm still trying to remember what I was about to get up and do a few minutes ago.

I actually thought about that. I would get into sooooo much trouble if management found out. Besides, I don't want to waste the money. Those are expensive!!
That's too bad, but even the person took the bait and you didn't get in trouble, they'd likely not put 2&2 together.

What about leaving a note out? Has anyone tried that? Or one in the lunch saying "Stay the
out of my food!" That might make a person worry.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's not very nice of them to do that! I don't understand why people would want to take other people's food - its deplorable!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Well who's to say it's not for you? Maybe you need it! They don't know that!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed my supervisor about this monday and he forwarded it to the managers. I know I am not the only one this has happened to.

You don't mess with a woman and her chocolate!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

That's not very nice of them to do that! I don't understand why people would want to take other people's food - its deplorable!
That and you do not know what other people touched while making that food.
Most people do not follow perfect food safety at home (or wear gloves while handling food).

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That and you do not know what other people touched while making that food.
Most people do not follow perfect food safety at home (or wear gloves while handling food).
Yep, that is what I was thinking too! Eww! Sorry Catkiki - I am not saying that you have horrible habits.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they have been known to eat someone half eaten leftovers. I would never eat food prepared by someone I didn't know. Who knows how they keep their kitchen. It might be filthy and bug infested.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See, now, I think some people are just plain old morons.
Why, for crying out loud, must you steal someone else's food?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could place a sign on the refrigerator:

FAIR WARNING:
Some of the lunches in this refrigerator
have been prepared with "special ingredients"
just for the person who is stealing food.

Have a nice day --
but don't have somebody else's lunch!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH! That used to happen where I used to work, it was TERRIBLE & RIDICULOUS! & my husband actually told me when I would complain about my lunch being stolen that, it used to happen to his mom as well & she would get back at people & she actually make a 'lunch' one day... but used 'oceanfish' cat food on a subroll with lettuce and tomato...

*I* never went THAT far... but BOY did I WANT to! LOL!