What age to get fixed and shots?

kitkat5505

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At what age can you get cats fixed and when can they get shots? We are going to try to get our kittens all fixed and shots before we find homes for them, but I don't know what age to have these done. I've heard as young as 6 weeks you can have them fixed, but want to make sure. They are only a week old now, and a family friend who is a cat lover has told us they all look like males and that males are usually cheaper to get fixed. We are also planning to get our 1 yr old male cat (the dad) fixed this week when Hubby gets paid, what is a normal price for the procedure? I want to know before I call around to vets so that I don't get way overcharged, someone who lives by me said their vet charged $60 for females and $40 for males, does that sound about right? The nearest humane society that does it for cheap is almost an hour away and only does it for cats in that county.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard the youngest is 8 weeks and 2 lbs minimum. Personally I'd want to wait another month or 2 (3-4 months old) but I can see why you want it earlier so they are done before going to new homes.

Shots start at about 6-8 weeks for first ones.

Please keep the mom and kittens together for a minimum of 10-12 weeks old so they learn more cat social/behavior things - taking them before this important learning time, can result in social or behavior problems with the new owners.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our rescue spays at 2lbs and usually neuters at 2 lbs sometimes a little less. My experience is they are usually 9-10 weeks when they get that big. At least with my fosters. Shots start at 6 weeks if they are bottle babies and 8 weeks if they were raised by mom.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We start shots at 8 weeks at the HS here. Fixing can be done at 2 lbs/8 weeks...however you have to find a vet who will do it that young. I would call around for prices & see how young they'll fix them.

Around here, the vet who does it that cheap, uses less anesthesia & is "shifty". Lots of kitties die/have problems during surgery with him.
So, please, do not necessarily look for cheapest, make sure the vet is good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat5505

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not planning to let them go until they are 10-12 weeks, so I'm not in a hurry to get them fixed sooner than that, just wanted to be sure

whitecatlover- that is so sad
I definitely won't go for cheapest, I'll be asking friends with pets who they go to and trust.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have an entire litter to be done, perhaps the vet will be kind enough to offer some kind of discount if done at the same time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat5505

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you have an entire litter to be done, perhaps the vet will be kind enough to offer some kind of discount if done at the same time
Oh, I hadn't thought of that, I will make sure to ask. Thanks

meow me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Born in Sao Paulo, Brazil, living in Miami, FL for
I just asked my vet the same question today. She told me that if I plan to keep them indoors at least for now, the safest age would be at least 4 months. If you are dying to let them out, or they are going to a new home, it can be done at about 12 weeks, if they are heavy enough and in good health. But my guess is that those are practices of precautious vets and people who are keeping their pets. All cats from the Humane Society in South Florida go home spayed at the age of 8 weeks. I also heard of vets that do it cheaper and don't care about their age much, and also use less anesthesia and send them home even before they wake up, no antibiotics and no follow up appointments either.