People & the Military

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone

Just was curious who else knows people that were in the military or still are in the military.
Can be anyone you know. Add anything you'd like to share...

My Husband was in the Marines for 8 years during the Desert Storm era.
He was an E-5/Sergeant when he got out. It was a great experience

He got stationed in Okinawa, Japan for a year & a half, he loved it there!

We have had the honor to meet with war veterans from several wars.
We have a veterans home here so we go volunteer to help out in anyway we can

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Colin was in the Navy for 8 years. He was a lt. (3rd rank i believe). He loved serving his country and I admire him and all of our former and current military people for their dedication and service. It takes a very strong person to live a military life, it's very hard- and it really says a lot about the character of the people in the military i believe. Colin has definitely benifited from his years in the Navy- he is a strong,hard worker, organized, very driven, very patriotic, and he is a true gentleman.

We love and support our troops!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the child of a WWII veteran, who spent 20 years in the Air Force. My brother was a Green Beret during the Vietnam era.
For everyone who is - or has served - thank you!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those who serve in the military are my heroes.

I have known many people who have been/still are in the military.

Here's the "short" list:
My Great-grandfather was shot down in one of the WW (the first I think), and is still considered MIA.
My grandfather was in the Army.
My father is a retired USAF crew chief.
A good friend of 10 years is a USAF Ssgt.
One of my favorite cousins, Kevin, is a Marine.
Several more cousins are in the Army.
A friend's father served on the front lines in Vietnam.
Another friend is a retired Army Ranger.
A good friend's husband is in the Navy.
John's grandfather was also in the Navy.
In 2005 I "adopted" a soldier, who is in the Army.

That's all I can think of at the moment, and I apologize to anyone I may have missed!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm an Army vet
Spent 4 years in the reserves during college and five years on active duty after I graduated. I also had several uncles who served in different branches of the mililtary at various times.

Many thanks to all who have served or are currently serving.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was in the army for 20 years. My cousin was delpoyed last friday, a good friend of mines SO is in the marine reserves and is currently in Iraq. I work with the soldier every single day in my job. I enjoy that aspect of it. I am proud of our service men and women.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one brother in the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, another brother used to be in the Royal Navy, and my niece, the daughter of the brother in the navy is in the Royal Air Force, and her husbands an officer there as well and is in Iraq at the moment.

Oh and a neighbour at my old address is a sergeant for the Ministry of Defence

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Pops spent 26 years in the Marines (WWII, Korea and Vietnam) and I am the widow of a disabled Army vet (Korea). Most of the men that I have either been married to or involved with have served at least SOME time in the service. I've married/dated Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine vets (can't seem to find any Coast Guardsmen in Arizona). I'm a one-woman USO!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew/godson is a Marine, has been for over 20 years.
His Dad, my brother, served in the Army in Vietnam.
One of my other brothers was drafted, but was given a medical dispensation.
My Dad served in WWII, and was a member of General Eisenhower's Elite Bodyguard, stationed in Europe. My fil was also in the Army, serving in the far east.
Dad had 5 brothers--3 of them also served in WWII, including the oldest, who did the electrical work on the Enola Gay. My Dad's 2 sisters each married a military man, one in the Navy, the other the Army.
My gr.gr. Grandfather joined the Army at the age of 42 and fought in the Civil War.
A gr.gr.gr. Grandfather on the other side of the family also fought in the Civil war, was briefly a POW at Cahaba prison camp, and was on board the Sultana when it exploded. (he survived) ( if you don't know about the Sultana, you should do a google search )

I am in awe of people who so willingly leave their home and families behind to fight for others. There truly aren't enough words to thank them for the sacrifices they make.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt know my grandfather much, he died when I was still little, but I think he was in the army. My other grandfather was in the navy.

And my boyfriend's uncle was killed in Iraq, May 25, 2004. It was (and I think still) really hard for my boyfriend, as he was close to him. Left behind a wife and two kids, around 5 (daughter) and 8 (son) I think

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
No one earlier than the third generation. My grandpa was in the Royal English navy for about 8 or 9 years as a radar operator on submarines before he married grandma and came here to Oz in about 58. Papa (dads dad) was in the Hungarian army i think delivering mail by horse and also artilery or something like that. I think he and nana came here about 55 in the revolution. No one i know of has served in my era (cousins) or my dads.

Also a boy i used to go to school with was a midshipman in the Canberra navy base. He passed away about 6 years ago (he was only a couple of years older than me) from meningacoccal. It was all over the news in Australia and i hadn't spoken to him for years. He and his family lived over the road so it was sad.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know many people in the military (then again, I also live a few miles from Charleston AFB, so that could be a reason...)

My uncle was in the Marines for awhile, not sure about any details though. The family just said he had the look of a crazy man in his eyes when he got out.

My other uncle was in the military and was given a Purple Heart. Again, not too sure about details. I didn't even know he had been in the military until I saw his obituary in 2003.

One friend of ours was in the AF here, and was actually promoted to work as White House security. He says it's definitely not all it's cracked up to be and he'd love to come back to Charleston.

Since moving to SC, I could spend awhile typing about all our military friends

babygirl2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My grandfather.. may he RIP.. fought in WWII. He was a 2Lt. A friend of mine is a Marine and stationed in Yuma, AZ. Another friend of mine is also a Marine and just got back from Iraq.

I used to live near Charleston AFB but I don't remember much because I was so young when we moved to Charlotte.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Husband's in the Army, my older twin brothers are in the Army (One being in Iraq right now and the other getting married as soon as he gets back.) and I'm ex-Air Force. I was the first female in my family to go into the military!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandpa was a WWII veteran. Unfortunately he died when I was 4 so I didn't really get a chance to get to know him too well. Other than that, I only know a couple of my friends that are in the Canadian Reserves.

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I would like to remind everyone about OPSEC. Some of you have given out a little TMI.

Who have I known in the military?:
*I'm an USAF veteran.
*My soon-to-be-ex-husband is in the USAF.
*My paternal grandfather was a 1Lt in the USA during WWII.
*My maternal great-grandfather was on Normandy Beach on D-Day.
*My paternal great-grandfather was a Naval officer in WWI.
*My paternal great-great-grandfather was an USA officer.
*My dad's brother was a Marine in Vietnam.
*My maternal grandfather's brother and sister were in the USAF in WWII.
*My soon-to-be-ex's step-father is retired USA.
*My soon-to-be-ex's paternal grandfather was a Marine in WWII, who later joined the National Guard (retired).
*I have many friends in the service.
*A woman that I work with is a retired USA Major.
*A great friend of mine is a Navy veteran.
*A fish keeping friend is retired USAF.
*Another fish keeping friend is a Marine veteran, and his wife is in the USAF.

I think there are a few more that I know, but it's late, and it's been a looooong week already.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH just finished his enlistment in the Air Force not quite 2 years ago. My step-father retired from the Air Force about a year before DH got out. My step-brother just got out of the Army. My step-grandfather retired from the army. I don't know his rank by name, but he had a lot of stripes and would have had to go to DC in order to stay in. Both my Grandfathers and one of my Grandmothers were in the military also. Then there's Aunts and Uncles who've been in just about every branch I believe.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two great uncles who were paratroopers in WWII.

My dad was in the Army and served in Vietnam. He retired from the Army National Guard a few years ago. I served in his unit for a short time before going active duty.

I served a few years in the early 1990's in the US Army and was in Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia and got out not long before the unit deployed to Bosnia.