Windows Vista question

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Windows Vista on my laptop, and about 2 weeks ago the microsoft narrator started to pop up everytime i log on.

I've searched everywhere to find where i can remove it but no luck

Anyone have any ideas?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This will not be a helpful comment, but I have make it anyway: Microsoft strikes again.

madaboutrags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never messed with Vista... I'm waiting for the second edition before I upgrade but typically something has to be telling it to start up... have you checked your start up folder... or registry? You can download a free trial of Tune Up Utilities. It has a reliable startup manager included. It's really easy to follow. If you do that just look for the name of the program in the start up menu and uncheck the box beside it... That's how I do it.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Open your start menu, click on "All programs" at the very bottom. Then scroll up to "Accessories" and click there. That will open another dropdown menu. Scroll down to "Ease of Access". Click that, and then select "Ease of Access Center"

Once you get to the Access center, select "Use the Computer without a display"

At this point, you should see the box beside "Turn on Narrator" marked with a check. Click the check to remove it, and then hit save

If you ever opened the narrator at all, Vista assumes that you needed it and will open it at startup until it's told otherwise.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just noticed that we have the narrator in XP as well. Interesting, I didn't know that until just now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Open your start menu, click on "All programs" at the very bottom. Then scroll up to "Accessories" and click there. That will open another dropdown menu. Scroll down to "Ease of Access". Click that, and then select "Ease of Access Center"
Thank you both so much!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well and truly!

We had one of the computer blokes in work the other day and he couldn't remember how to get rid of her, but he said someone at his office who also had vista had the same problem and he hadn't done anything either, she just popped up

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your very welcome. We switched to Vista at work (wasn't my fault) and we have all sorts of little helper apps popping up. Some it's the narrator, some it's the on-screen keyboard....kind of funny actually.

Vista goes overboard trying to be helpful I suppose

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it would seem. This is my first Windows computer that I've actually had a use for in over 10 years. I've been using Unix, Linux and the occasional Mac since about 1995. I've had to have a highly condensed crash course on co-existing with Vista

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike, you just put your head in a vise and turn the handle until just before your skull cracks, and that will get you used to any Microsoft software in no time at all.