Rental hunting question

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone have suggestions on how to find HOUSES for rent? I have looked on rent.com, apartments.com, craigslist.com, etc. I have family around where I am going to move that I will have look for me, but I am just wondering if you have any suggestions about other places to look. Thanks in advance.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pipersjo

Anyone have suggestions on how to find HOUSES for rent? I have looked on rent.com, apartments.com, craigslist.com, etc. I have family around where I am going to move that I will have look for me, but I am just wondering if you have any suggestions about other places to look. Thanks in advance.
Have you checked in the daily newspaper? I know for us around here we have a lot of houses for rent & they are all listed in the paper!

You can always call the landlords of the properties & ask them if they have any other properties that aren't listed as well

tanningtabby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when i was searching, as well as my local paper, I called some of the realtors in town, as often they know of rentals or sometimes have rentals, or know someone you can contact. Also, maybe try local churches. good luck. therese

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Michigan we used a service called "Rental Pros". I believe they're national.

Anyway, for $99 you got 30 days access to a whole bunch of listings. Most of the landlords reimbursed (or really discounted the first months rent) the $99.

Out here I found a MLS site that listed not only houses for sale, but Rental homes as well. You may want to try that.

(PS, we were looking for townhomes/houses rather than apartments...this helped us out A BUNCH!!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys so much! I'm not moving until next year, but I am trying to figure out if I can afford it and what kind of pay that I am going to have to be making. Next year, I will be able to negotiate my pay much better than I can right now and I should be able to afford it without too much problem, but CT is very expensive from what I've seen!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try the newspapers, and possibly some real estate companies. Seems like rental houses ARE harder to find then apartments though.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I would try the newspapers, and possibly some real estate companies. Seems like rental houses ARE harder to find then apartments though.

Good luck!
Houses ARE a lot harder to find! Realtor.com does see to be the best way to find houses right now though. Of course, I am not moving until next year so this is a little premature, but oh well!