Columbia River Natural

jazzybunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was at the local pet store today and saw some Columbia River Natural raw products in the freezer that peaked my interest. I got my manx girl a couple of months ago and haven't tried raw yet. I'm new to this since this is my first cat...

http://www.columbiarivernaturalpetfoods.com/catalog.htm

Is this stuff any good? Anyone have experiences with it? The website seems to market it to dog owners. Is it okay for a cat to eat? Any help appreciated!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JazzyBunny

I was at the local pet store today and saw some Columbia River Natural raw products in the freezer that peaked my interest. I got my manx girl a couple of months ago and haven't tried raw yet. I'm new to this since this is my first cat...

http://www.columbiarivernaturalpetfoods.com/catalog.htm

Is this stuff any good? Anyone have experiences with it? The website seems to market it to dog owners. Is it okay for a cat to eat? Any help appreciated!
I have no experience with this product but I don't see why a cat couldn't eat it. Meat and bone is meat and bone. Some raw food proponents do not favor ground products except perhaps for the transitional phase from kibble/canned pet food. Yahoo has many Groups that pertain to raw feeding. You may be interested in checking some out http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=raw+cat+food

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those raw food groups on Yahoo are ... interesting. They take a pretty radical stance on what is acceptable, and advocate a lot of things your vet might consider unsafe practices ... not considering just your pet, but public health practices.

I would not blow them off, not at all, they have a lot of interesting things to say ... but when I read them, I think hard and research, and try to take a balanced approach.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4meezers3kids

Those raw food groups on Yahoo are ... interesting. They take a pretty radical stance on what is acceptable, and advocate a lot of things your vet might consider unsafe practices ... not considering just your pet, but public health practices.

I would not blow them off, not at all, they have a lot of interesting things to say ... but when I read them, I think hard and research, and try to take a balanced approach.
Yep, some folks on there are pretty "radical" but you can still learn a lot. IMO Vets aren't properly schooled in the area of nutrition so I look at what they say with the same amount of skepticism as I would one of the Yahoo Groups. You are right; research, research, research.

4meezers3kids

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And considering where the vets are GETTING most of their nutrition info ...

It is important to get the gamut of theory and practice.

The one thing I will add though is Vets ARE well-trained in public health and food safety. And people do need to consider those factors in feeding raw ... and I have the impression that not all of them do. MANY do ...but not all.

Meanwhile, I definitely will read there.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Yep, some folks on there are pretty "radical" but you can still learn a lot. IMO Vets aren't properly schooled in the area of nutrition so I look at what they say with the same amount of skepticism as I would one of the Yahoo Groups. You are right; research, research, research.
I totally agree, when it comes to nutrition in vets schools, from what I understand, usually they get speakers from the food industry to educate them. IMO these guys are just using it as an opportunity to sell more of their products, same as the regular docs and drugs.

research research research

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
after looking at the site I noticed these aren't really balanced raw foods.
1 pckg was 100% turkey neck, that's too much bone. another was 50% beef heart and 50% beef meat, no bone.

the most important thing in a raw diet is a delicate balance of meat and bone... unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't use these products. There are lots of others out there that take the guess work out.

I feed my kitties Nature's Variety raw right now, until I start making my own.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Columbia and the packaging IMHO is ideal ... allowing the widest allowance for INDIVIDUALIZING...It doesn 't have many of the EXTRAS that I don't deem needed in the ave cat diet ...

As for the grd up vs whole prey issue ... to each his own( and if you need to try IMO section for a debate NOT here .. my vet actually taught me to use both cept my girls arent up for whole prey... this company is a very clean one that ONLY makes RAW food and will answer any ??? s... P s I got much of my raw training from a vet with a masters in nutrition of the companion animal

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I have used Columbia and the packaging IMHO is ideal ... allowing the widest allowance for INDIVIDUALIZING...It doesn 't have many of the EXTRAS that I don't deem needed in the ave cat diet ...

As for the grd up vs whole prey issue ... to each his own( and if you need to try IMO section for a debate NOT here .. my vet actually taught me to use both cept my girls arent up for whole prey... this company is a very clean one that ONLY makes RAW food and will answer any ??? s... P s I got much of my raw training from a vet with a masters in nutrition of the companion animal
I agree that it would make a good base for mixing your own pet food. I didn't want to get into too many specifics because there are widely varying opinions which sometimes lead to arguments. Research is key.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree that it would make a good base for mixing your own pet food. I didn't want to get into too many specifics because there are widely varying opinions which sometimes lead to arguments. Research is key.
TRUST me with a CRF cat a CUSHINGs dog and I myself took human nutritional science ... Have done the research

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm sure you have. That wasn't directed specifically at you but to anybody who is reading this thread.
WELL then can I BOLD AND ITALLISIZE your comment...lmao... run a quick search on raw foods here

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah... I am always having to say that on here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzybunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your input. I think that I will just stick with dry and canned right now. I don't think I know enough to feed raw yet. I'd probably totally mess it up and poor Jasmine would be the one eating it. I would try out Nature Variety medallions, but they don't sell it here. This nutrition stuff gets confusing lol. But very interesting to read