7 week old kitten

mypuddycat333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My daughter has a 7 week old kitten. She thinks it's a male. She says it's anus sticks out about 1/2 inch. She doesn't know if it is just maturing or if something is wrong with intestines. Any ideas?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to the kittens mother? Has it been to the vet yet? It is probably nothing, maybe a little straining while going to the bathroom from a change in food? It should still be nursing if he wishes. That is sad he has no mom. Where did she get him? He will need to be dewormed and at 8 weeks he can get his first of a 3-vaccine series.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well to me (and im no expert, please dont think i am) it sounds like when their about to poop.. Monsters anus would look like it was sticking out right before he was about to poo and then it would go back to normal... but maybe your daughter should take the kitten to a vet just to make sure, it could be something more serious.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I'd take the kitten to be checked by the vet (and verify its sex too). 7 weeks old is really too young to be taken from mom/siblings. Does your daughter have other cats?

If the kitten is an only kitten, taken from mom/siblings before 10-12 weeks old deprives them of important social/emotional behavior and she could have some problems related to that in the next few months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mypuddycat333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think something happened to the mother cat. She has a 5 month old male cat who does interact with him sometimes. The older cat seems to be full grown, but could grow a little. He looks so big next to mini cat. The baby cat is so cute, but I even asked my daughter how she knows this cat is male. She said her boyfriend's mom looked at the bottom and said he was male. I have reservations. I think until it's matured some, it's hard to tell if it's male. She could wind up with kittens in a few months. These were from wild field cats. She hasn't taken either to the vet because she can't afford it. They both look somewhat heatlhy. Neither like hard food and that could mean that they aren't digesting fiber, which isn't good I think. Thanks for you input on this. We had to have our 14 1/2 year old cat put to sleep in April because she had an inoperable tumor.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the older kitten neutered? If not, he should be done NOW just in case. And the 7 week one can be done by 3 months old.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mypuddycat333

because she can't afford it. They both look somewhat heatlhy. Neither like hard food and that could mean that they aren't digesting fiber, which isn't good I think.
Being on an all Canned Food diet isn't an issue. (however the quality of the canned food could be) But an all Canned Food diet actually is Quiet Healthy.

If she cannot 'afford' to take 1 cat to the vet, (not that any of this is my buisness) I really don't think it is in the Kittens best interest that she keep it, It would be best if she found someone who can afford to care for it, or contact a no kill shelter, ... at the very least try to get the funds together and contact shelters as many shelters have low cost (& sometimes free) spay/neuter & vacciene programs for those with low income, to help out and make sure that animals are at least cared for. Certianly SOMETHING needs to be done.

Good Luck.