Thank you for the Do Not Call list

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. After getting a new phone number, I forgot how bad telemarketing calls are.

We're averaging 3-5 phones calls per night (after 5pm). We just got our phone last Monday!

I've signed up for the do not call list (as of Wednesday) and can hardly wait until it goes into effect. We're on pins and needles here for job call backs
so each telemarketer is making us more disappointed.

Heck the other day I got into an argument with one (I don't remember them being this brutal!). Yea, so the introductory offer was only 38 cents a week...if I say I don't want it, I don't want it. The lady acted as though I had insulted her. I said we just moved and budgets are tight. She interupted me and said "That's why you're getting this deal, because you moved. You can't tell me you can't afford 38 cents a week".

So I said "I am going to say 'NO' again...[insert nasty name]" and hung up.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A good reply is .... This number insert number is on the do not call list... Do not call again... if you do I have noted your call and will contact the proper officials and report any further calls... and hang up

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I get those calls a few times a week... but I have a trick now. When I pick up the phone and say "hello" if I hear a silence followed by a phone clicking on, I hang up right away. It's a sure sign of a telemarketer.

If I accidentally get caught, I just tell them "no thank you, I'm not interested" and hang up before they can reply. I'm always very polite so it's hard for me to even do that... but I'm sure they're used to that. I know someone who worked as a telemarketer in the past and she told me that if people were gonna say no, it was easier for her if they just hung up.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally I am a fairly easy-going person and I will politely decline if given the oppurtunity.

However, some of these telemarketer's won't let you get a word in edgewise,

In these cases I just hang up.

I sometime wonder how long they keep talking before they realize I am not longer there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I use to be much meaner...I remember I use to ask them why they were calling a pizza place or restaurant...one I burst into tears on the phone and wailed "She's DEEEEAAADDD!" and hung up.

I got burned by a financial services with that autodial thingie. This was a few years ago and the call was legit, however I didn't know that. So I wouldn't hear a thing after saying "hello" and hung up immediately.

The autodialer kept calling me back. At first it was 4 times a day, then it turned into every hour on a SUNDAY. Again the call turned out to be legit (I owed money), but really burned me. Besides its much nicer to hang up on the person while they're on the phone

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok well I have to say I have been on the other end of the phone. I worked for fairfield resorts. It wasnt a horrible job, its not for the thin skinned, we just kinda stood around on phones and tossed beach balls around. The getting cussed out on an hourly basis wasnt the best, but when you get a paycheck for $500 for 2 weeks of work it aint bad!
But anyways, if you just say no thank you or something like that they can call again. They can also call if you say do not call back you have to say "Please remove my number from your call list" then they have too. Granted I worked there before the no call list, but it should still be the same.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have one that is our wake up call every morning. 8:05am. Weekdays or weekends. We are on the do not call list, the apparently a "friend" of my husband gave them our number for a time share. That doesn't count for the do not call list. At least I know if I sleep through the alarm, our friendly time share rep will wake me up!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We have one that is our wake up call every morning. 8:05am. Weekdays or weekends. We are on the do not call list, the apparently a "friend" of my husband gave them our number for a time share. That doesn't count for the do not call list. At least I know if I sleep through the alarm, our friendly time share rep will wake me up!
OMG...I would definitely threaten to sue for harassment! Everyday?!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My aunt is in her late 60's and very much the grandmotherly type. But when telemarkters call she blows a mini airhorn into the phone and they don't call back!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You should be able to ask them to be removed from the list and to not call again. From the donotcall.gov site:

One caveat: if a consumer asks a company not to call, the company may not call, even if there is an established business relationship. Indeed, a company may not call a consumer - regardless of whether the consumer's number is on the registry - if the consumer has asked to be put on the company's own do not call list.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm getting them on my cell phone now. Can you register your cell to the DNC list? I got one y'day from someone telling me I'm entered in a drawing to be held 8/08 b/c I have a visa/mastercard/discover credit card. I said, "No I don't".
"Well, it must be a debit card, do you have one?" was his reply.
Long story short, I listened to him go on and on and on, finally telling me that I am going to receive my choice of a diamond encrusted ladies' or men's watch, which would I prefer? I told him I don't wear watches, so I didn't want either. (I do, but that's what I told him)
He said, "But its free, Ma'am, no charge, just give us your address". I cont to refuse, so he finally hung up on me.

Maybe the key is to frustrate them.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in phone sales, but we are strictly in bound calls, we don't call anyone. You would not believe the number of people that call and cuss at us because they are too stupid to read a flyer, or only hear what they want to on a tv ad.
We are like any other business and advertise our best deal. It says clearly on the flyer that all offers are based on approved credit, and that you MUST have a credit card to secure your order. Half the idiots that call will tell me "I don't have a credit card, can't I just pay when they come out to install my free system, and are they bringing my free dvd player when they come? Surely you can make an exception for meeee. What do you mean I have to actually do something to get a free dvd player? (send in a pre-paid form) Of course I have never had your services and never left a 700 bill because I stole leased equipment. That must have been someone else with my name that used to live a this address." This is after they have already said they have lived there for 30 years.
Yes, I hate people to call me and interrupt my life with their stupid offers, but I sure wish the ones that call me on my job would remember they called me.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

My aunt is in her late 60's and very much the grandmotherly type. But when telemarkters call she blows a mini airhorn into the phone and they don't call back!
Good for her!

We get them at work
calling about office supplies - things we dont need to buy from some random company!

They will call back about 5 times in an afternoon, each with a new person calling, I've gotten to where I just hang up, because I've told them several times I will report them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

I'm getting them on my cell phone now. Can you register your cell to the DNC list? I got one y'day from someone telling me I'm entered in a drawing to be held 8/08 b/c I have a visa/mastercard/discover credit card. I said, "No I don't".
"Well, it must be a debit card, do you have one?" was his reply.
Long story short, I listened to him go on and on and on, finally telling me that I am going to receive my choice of a diamond encrusted ladies' or men's watch, which would I prefer? I told him I don't wear watches, so I didn't want either. (I do, but that's what I told him)
He said, "But its free, Ma'am, no charge, just give us your address". I cont to refuse, so he finally hung up on me.

Maybe the key is to frustrate them.
Oh yes! Register your cell phone! Many years ago when I switched to cell only rather than a land line, I started to get the telemarketing calls...it was my main number. So I registed on the DNC and after month they were no more!

I just re-registered my cell again...I think it had been 5 years and if, not, well at least I'm getting a few more years out of it.