Safest anesthesia for cat with FeLV?

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 year old cat Gizmo has had a tumor burst open.
I took him to the vet and they told me he will be need to put asleep
while they clean it up and everything. He also told me doing anything like this
to FeLV positive cats is risky and there's a chance he will not come out of the anesthesia. I am very worried and stressed out about if I should have this done. He does not seem to be in any pain. They dressed up his wound, gave me some Lixotinic and Clindamycin Hydrochloride and asked me to bring him back in a week. He had the virus since birth and has lived to be 5.. He used to get sick all the time and require antibiotics but now hardly ever gets sick anymore. I really want to give him the best quality life. I don't want to do something that could end his life..when he could possibly live another five years with as many good days as he has now. I am wondering in if any one anesthesia is proven to be safer then the others. Has there been any studies done on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my angel Gizmo

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
katimae1277 has FeLV+ kitties, I'll PM her to make sure she sees this thread!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, first off, congratualtions on having your gorgeous boy live this long

Honestly, the belief that anesthesia is not good for leukemia cats is an urban legend, there is no documented proof. if it makes you and your vet feel any better than have the vet use the smallest amount of anesthesia possible. Lots of vibes for Gizmo

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

well, first off, congratualtions on having your gorgeous boy live this long

Honestly, the belief that anesthesia is not good for leukemia cats is an urban legend, there is no documented proof. if it makes you and your vet feel any better than have the vet use the smallest amount of anesthesia possible. Lots of vibes for Gizmo
I caught a feral kitten and brought him in for his neuter. He didn't come out of the anesthesia and we found out afterwards that he did have FeLV. The vet's speculation was that he was ill from the disease, and coupled with the fact that he was feral and stressed, he didn't pull out of surgery. He did use the standard dose.

So I would be cautious, but only because of his underlying health issues, not the actual FeLV disease.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I caught a feral kitten and brought him in for his neuter. He didn't come out of the anesthesia and we found out afterwards that he did have FeLV. The vet's speculation was that he was ill from the disease, and coupled with the fact that he was feral and stressed, he didn't pull out of surgery. He did use the standard dose.

So I would be cautious, but only because of his underlying health issues, not the actual FeLV disease.
I've also had a kitten pass away during his neuter surgery, but the vet surmised that he actually had a heart condition, he also has a slight cold when he went in. all my kitties that I've had over the years have been altered and Eros was the only one that I ever had a problem with

if Gizmo is in general good health I don't see there being a problem, but like I said, if it makes you and your vet feel better use the smallest amount of anesthesia possible

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might ask whether the anesthetics your vet uses on senior cats might be more appropriate. Some, like propofol, allow them to wake up more quickly so the recover time is shorter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

freaknpink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off I really want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to read this and reply. I contacted the vet and they said they use a gas called Isoflow.
Gizmo goes back sat to have his leg looked at and re-wapped. I am going to ask him about using smallest amount of anesthesia possible and about what they use for older cats. He only weighs 7 Lbs and has been sneezing lately..So I am going to wait until that passes. Thank you for your support. You have gave me some hope that my baby will make it through this.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he is sneezing, it might not be a bad idea to ask the vet about an anti-biotic. Obviously, FeLV cats have suppressed immune systems. One thing I learned from Katie is that it is not always a bad idea to treat them as soon as they show symptoms for anything, as it can escalate fast in a FeLV kitty.