Has anyone here had to stop chewing their nails?

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got this terrible habit of chewing my nails. It happens when I'm reading, concentrating hard, or surfing the 'net - or basically whenever I'm not thinking about chewing them!
Anyway, I was curious how I can stop this horrendous habit. It drives me nuts!

I've tried:

Clear nail polish
Nail hardener
Snapping a rubber band on my wrist every time I caught myself from chewing my nails
Stopping one at a time
Not reading

None have worked. Any ideas? I'm desperate!

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to have a nail biting habit too. The only thing that worked for me was going to a salon and having acrylic nails put on. You can't really bite your nails at all with the acrylics on. I wore them for 6 months or so, and after I had them taken off, my habit was broken.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to bite mine as a child, then I actually started to pay attention to what was under my nails, gross!

I stopped biting mine by keeping them trimmed short for a while, then later I sort of picked up a habit of cleaning out from under them quite a bit when bored instead of biting.
Another thing that helps, have something to do with your hands that keeps them away from your mouth. Get a stress ball, clay, or even a smooth rock to fiddle with. Especially when reading.

Strangely though, even though I stopped biting my nails I had something weird start with mine a few years after I stopped. I have this odd pitting in them, looks like an orange peel texture.
Because of it, I eventually gave up ever trying to paint my nails.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to bite my nails when I was a kid. Then I snuck into putting what I thought was clear nail polish on that I found at my grandma's house. Turned out it was a special bad tasting nail polish designed to try help people stop biting their nails.

I didn't know that, just got this awful bitter taste whenever I started chewing and it was enough to break the habit. I was a child at the time and didn't know it was designed to stop you chewing and wasn't trying to stop the chewing either.

I don't know if it would work as well if you know what's going on. Heh

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish my parents would have given me the bitter polish as a kid

I always bite mine when I'm nervous. I've tried to stop as well by using the nail polish, the arcylic nails, but so far the polish only deters it.

Working with computer tends to break or crack my nails often (dry air and metal), so since I never have a file on me, I just bite them until their tolerable.

The only thing I've ever done that stopped me for a while was just sitting on my hands.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you - I've tried them all too. None has worked for me - I still bite mine - wish I could stop. The the bitter stuff only lasts so long. I've tried that route too.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I wish my parents would have given me the bitter polish as a kid

I always bite mine when I'm nervous. I've tried to stop as well by using the nail polish, the arcylic nails, but so far the polish only deters it.

Working with computer tends to break or crack my nails often (dry air and metal), so since I never have a file on me, I just bite them until their tolerable.

The only thing I've ever done that stopped me for a while was just sitting on my hands.
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm with you - I've tried them all too. None has worked for me - I still bite mine - wish I could stop. The the bitter stuff only lasts so long. I've tried that route too.
Same here! I've tried everything! Nothing works for me!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Same here! I've tried everything! Nothing works for me!
Same here

I've tried acrylic nails, and they drive me nuts- so I take them off

I wish I could stop, its annoying as all get out!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried stop the bite? I used it and stopped for a while. the bitter tates lasts for quite a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wear acrylic nails, although that would probably be best! I have had gloves suggested to me, but I'd have to wear them everywhere.
I did have a manicure kit I used to keep them looking nice, and I stopped for a couple weeks out of pride, but I went back to chewing them.

Originally Posted by yasmine

Try putting vineger on your nails.
I think I just might do that! It would probably work...though it would washoff...

Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Have you tried stop the bite? I used it and stopped for a while. the bitter tates lasts for quite a while.
No, I haven't tried stop the bite. Where do you get it from?

I'm so sick of having nubbins for nails!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just stopped.
For years and years I tried to quit, then one day, about three years ago, I realized that I didn't do it anymore.
Weird huh?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chewed my nails when I was a kid. One day I decided I wanted pretty nails so I quit (I guess that was enough motivation).

Maybe you could chew gum while you are reading, or wear gloves to remind yourself to stop? I imagine some jalapeno juice on the fingertips would work, too. They say it takes a month to break a habit, so hang in there.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the main reasons I don't want to use bitter stuff is what happens when you get your fingers around the cat/dog's mouth or eyes? I would not want that stuff near my eyes.

When I used the bitter stuff, I accidently rubbed near my eyes (after it was dry) and the moisture reactivated the stuff and made my eyes burn!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped cold turkey one day..no idea how I did it..

BUT

I have been chewing the skin around my nails since college and cannot stop to save my life. I have hideous hands because of it..the thumbs are chewed right to the knuckle

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit when my brother inlaw commented, do you have any idea how many germs, and bacteria you just put in your mouth? thousands.
I almost puked I have nevered bitten a nail since

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use to bite my nails horribly, and like most of you, tried everything, nothing worked. But soon after I found out I was pregnant, (some 26 years ago) and starting taking the prenatal vitamins, my nails just seemed to not bother me anymore. Now I have the problem of letting them get too long. I
my long beautiful nails!!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chew gum instead. It's not so much about the nail-biting as it is about the oral fixation. At least, that's what I've found out about myself. When I'm chewing on something else, I don't chew on my nails.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoalily

I

:

No, I haven't tried stop the bite. Where do you get it from?

I'm so sick of having nubbins for nails!
I got it at Wal-mart

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK you inspired me to try the polish stuff again. I picked up a bottle of Hoof Stop the Bite from Ulta and it's been horrible.

That bitter taste gets all over everything! I've tasted it in my food, since I've been handling /preparing food. I wonder if the stuff I got the last time was the right stuff. Maybe I shouldn't have bought it at the dollar store.