Intensive scratching.

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Chichi has been scratching herself so much she started having some self inflicted wounds around her neck and behind her ears. Long story short, after a couple of visits to the vet and rulling out cat fights and ear mites, we discovered she might be alergic to something, my vet thinks it's fleas. So I got her the flea treatment, however the scratching didn't stop right away, even after all the fleas were dead.

So I put the bite not collar on her. She looks so miserable in it...
It's heartbreaking to see her like that and she is acting really strange. She would sit in one place for hours. When she is active, she'll run half way across the room, then freeze for a few moments and stare into the space. and then she'll go to her place again (in the cat's condo) and look really sad. She does not like wearing it. I don't know what to do and what's more painful, scratching or wearing that thing. I want to give her a few days after her wounds heal a bit, but I don't want to cause her too much discomfort.

What do you guys think, have any of you had any experience with those bite not collars?

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chichi

My cat Chichi has been scratching herself so much she started having some self inflicted wounds around her neck and behind her ears. Long story short, after a couple of visits to the vet and rulling out cat fights and ear mites, we discovered she might be alergic to something, my vet thinks it's fleas. So I got her the flea treatment, however the scratching didn't stop right away, even after all the fleas were dead.

So I put the bite not collar on her. She looks so miserable in it...
It's heartbreaking to see her like that and she is acting really strange. She would sit in one place for hours. When she is active, she'll run half way across the room, then freeze for a few moments and stare into the space. and then she'll go to her place again (in the cat's condo) and look really sad. She does not like wearing it. I don't know what to do and what's more painful, scratching or wearing that thing. I want to give her a few days after her wounds heal a bit, but I don't want to cause her too much discomfort.

What do you guys think, have any of you had any experience with those bite not collars?
I'm using one I made on my cat right now... they get used to it. He didn't like it when I first put it on either, but I think he prefers this to having the sock over his neck, which is what I was using before to attempt to keep him from scratching. I think that just made him scratch more. Good luck and try not to feel too bad... sometimes we have to do things for our 'kids' that they don't understand, but we do it because we love them. Just like our parents did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah,

it's been 3 days now and she isn't getting used to it. She is now starting to show some behavior problems, like going to the bathroom on the carpet and not eating well. I am just wondering how long can I keep that thing on.

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do, though I need to get some refill. How is it going to help thought, will she be more tolerable to the collar or will she scratch less if i take it off?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did your vet give you anything to ease her discomfort?? When I discovered Maverick had flea allergies, my vet gave him something to ease his misery so he stopped scratching (I think it was a steroid injection, plus some steroid pills to take home) It relieved his misery immensely, and he quit scratching himself...

I would ask the vet if he could give her something.

~KK~

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is a long shot but it may keep her calmer

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Did your vet give you anything to ease her discomfort?? When I discovered Maverick had flea allergies, my vet gave him something to ease his misery so he stopped scratching (I think it was a steroid injection, plus some steroid pills to take home) It relieved his misery immensely, and he quit scratching himself...

I would ask the vet if he could give her something.

~KK~
Well, my vet gave her a shot when she was there, and gave me a cream to put on her at home and said that it should stop the scratching, but it really didn't or not yet. she is wearing this collar since last Sunday. Once she starts scratching, she really goes at it, so I got tired scolding at her for scratching and put the collar on instead. Donno what's worse.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet about benadryl injections to relieve the itch. It make take a few days but it has helped my cats in the past.

craigbmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
probably due to a flea reaction , i had same problem with a 6 y old male . i used the Advantage flea med and he is back to normal , really cleared up his coat too .. nice and shinny. no more sores from scratching so much. i think after awhile it becomes habit forming and they just get worse and worse .. he's cured now

Advantage liquid applied to back of the neck for fleas.
$50 for 6 month supply at my vet shop near me does the trick. good luck

now if i can just get him to stop throwing up hair balls! hahahah

Craig - Seattle

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your vet and let him/her know that she's still scratching and the anti-itch cream doesn't seem to be working. Ask if there's anything you can give her to help her stop scratching. I can't believe they didn't send you home with some steroid pills or something other than just the cream.

Stephanie