MAJOR Cat Issue Help!!!!!

brianh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray cat who my girlfriend has had for over five years she pretty much isn't a stray because she lives with us. Well we just moved and she won't go anywhere near the pet carrier.

She is an outside cat who we love and adore and everytime we try to put her in or lure her in her claws are out and she swings everywhere.

We made the mistake of not getting her accustom to the carrier but she needs to be in that darn thing any help???

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, I got this one!!!! My Kitty won't go in a carrier either. So, I bought two laundry baskets, same size. I put my tough old girl in one of the laundry baskets. Then before she knows what's happening, I flip the other laundry basket over on top. Then I use string to tie the two baskets together.

They laugh at me every time I go to the vet. But at least I don't have any fights with her at home. She can't afford any stress, so, I'd rather look ridiculous with my laundry baskets than get her all worked up before we even leave the house.

If we're travelling for a longer time than the 5 minutes it takes me to get to the vet, I cover the laundry baskets with a blanket to help keep her calm.

I keep the laundry baskets in the house and use them for laundry occasionally too...Kitty never suspects a thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brianh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
how do u get her in the basket? my cat throws her nails out and hates goin anywhere she's very very slick and quick

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well one thing you can try is giving her a favorite treat inside the carrier.
Do it several times a day and help get her used to going into the carrier on her own without the door closing.

By using positive reenforcement she'll associate yummy happy things (like treats) with the carrier. It's important to do this every time you use the carrier, even if you have to take her to the vet.

It's the best way to help get her used to it.

As for catching her....lol I dunno. I am used to cornering cats indoors! It may be good to consider keeping them in.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you can throw a blanket over the kitty and scoop her up that way -- then put her into a big box with airholes (most carriers would be too small) blanket and all. The blanket should confuse her enough to give you time to secure the lid before she finds her way out. Try to do it in a bathroom with the door closed, so she can't run and hide where you can't reach her.

And once you have her in the car, you might be able to ease the box open enough to keep a hand inside to soothe her... or you might lose your hand, depending on her mood.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain... I literally have to lock Seamus in the spare room, take down anything he can climb on and trap in the spare closet to get him in the thing... He is better with the carrier since I leave it out in this room all the time. He'll occasionally go in there and take a look, but he knows the thing means bad news... when he's trapped, he caves after about 10 minutes and walks in and I shut the door... that's when the attempt to claw his way out begins... I did the grabbing him with a towel once, but it turned into a wrestling match... I eventually won, but he was so mad and stressed afterwards that I had to find a new way fast. Getting to the vet already riled up was not a pleasant experience...

brianh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the main problem is that we are in between houses and that we keep coming back for her. I am just afraid that she will just leave us and not be in our yard or neighbors yard. We tryed putting her in the carrier last night but her legs spread out and was movin so fast with claws etc

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, you may want to use a cat trap then. And DO NOT let her outside at your new place. She needs to adjust to the move before you let her out again otherwise she may try to return to your old home.

If you use a cat trap you can just put some smelly yummy food in it and she'll more than likely go right in.

Or you can try the towel thing. Once you catch her wrap her ALL up with a towel and push her into the cage.
I had to do that with my stray girl who haaaaates me.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past I had cats that were like that... they'd go crazy if I tried to put them in the carrier. Honestly the easiest way to do it if it was an urgent situation is put the carrier on it's end (so that the door is facing straight up). I'd scruff the cat gently and hold the front paws so that the cat couldn't grab on to me or anything else. Then I'd put the cat in the carrier, back end first and shut the door QUICKLY. It may take two people to get the cat in.
I hated having to do it that way though, so I've trained all my current kitties from a young age to not fight the carrier.

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by brianh

how do u get her in the basket? my cat throws her nails out and hates goin anywhere she's very very slick and quick
There's something about how big the opening is that doesn't seem to trigger that response in my girl. She doesn't realize that she is about to become trapped.

She has the exact same response as your outdoor cat to the carrier. It is physically impossible for me to get her into the carrier.

I use two baskets like this:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd150082

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will have to use a trap if she is outside. Good luck!

Kitty hates going in his carrier but the vet showed me an 'easier' way to get him in. I have to stand it up on it`s end, door upward. Go and catch him un-awares then quickly and carefully lower him in backwards. He still ends up doing windmills with his legs but after a certain point he`s got no choice but to go in.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holly Golightly is like that. If you try to put her in the carrier, all four legs spread out and she scratches the hell out of me. Now I just stand the carrier on its back and slide her in. It takes some work but I figured it out now. I must be burning some calories in the process since I end up in sweat. As for Buster, he loves his carrier and enjoys sleeping in there...go figure. Sometimes I have to hide it in the back porch because he won't sleep with me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could wrap her like a mummy in a towel and put her in there - let her untangle herself after you close the door, but try this (will take some time).

FEED her in the carrier. At first just put the bowl right outside the carrier. Then in a few days, move the dish just inside the carrier (at the door) so only her head is inside.

Gradually move the bowl towards the back so she has to go inside to eat. Do not try to shut the door at any time during this transition.

When she is fully inside the carrier, close the door but don't lock it; so that if she starts to panic or back out, she won't be trapped.

Then try shutting the door and locking it till she is done eating. Let her sit a few mins in the carrier quietly (don't let her out till she's quiet).

Bet this might work for you to get her used to being in the carrier.

When I get the carrier out not for shows, 1/2 the time Charlie goes right in and lays down. I just keep the door open for awhile. When we are going out the door, then he will get about 1/2 way in on his own and I push his butt in the rest of the way and lock the door

kittys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, you don't really have time for a transitional/several day process of teaching the cat to accept the carrier.

You should definately try the laundry baskets. It's quick and it's cheap to try.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cat doesn't mind being picked up/carried, and the drive isn't too far, just pick her up, get in the car, and drive to your new place with her. Work on carrier issues later.

Of course, you then face the possibility that she will get out of your arms and run off between the car and the door of your new place. The laundry baskets are a very good idea and avoid the risk of her darting off at the new place.

brianh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she doesnt like being picked up for too long. Shes very slick and the whole getting her use to the carrier wont work cause we need her at the new place asap. We tryed getting her in last night but the claws came out and she wiggled free every single time!

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Burrito her.

Wrap her in a towel, insert into cat carrier, and do all this fast. The skill of wrapping a cat into a towel securely and quickly is something that doesn't come naturally to everyone, but it's definitely helpful.

I am not looking forward to the day that I have to put my semi-feral into a cat carrier, but that will probably be how I have to deal with him.

Oh, plus, I think a top-loading carrier might be easier to plonk the cat into:
http://www.amazon.com/Marchioro-Fron.../dp/B0007ZLQRY

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used the laundry baskets for cat carriers too. I actually would have one laying out and throw toys and play with them in the laundry basket so they associate the laundry basket to something more positive. Once I put the top laundry basket up, they are more confused then anything and not too upset, just sorta scratch to get out is all. With the more room and being able to have a lot of airflow and being able to see everything kept my kitties a little bit more ok with it. Some cats though need the blanket over the baskets so they don't get scared.

With my carrier, I leave it out too and let them get in and out of it as they please. They know when I put them in it, they are going somewhere but I have a door on the top and the front. The door on the top is a lot bigger and a lot easier to get the cat in. The one I have is from a petstore and it was about 30$. I put them in feet first most of the time, but when they are really not wanting it, I put them in head first (through the top door not front door!) and it confuses them for a breif second and I am able to put their tooshie in.

Wrapping it up is very affective, but they are very squirmy as you know so make sure they can't skoot their way out the back of the blanket! I always had problems with making sure I had them securely in the blanket!

Good luck and I hope everything goes well!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the laundry basket doesn't work, I recommend the blanket. But be sure you use a very thick one and bundle her in it really good.

I have a big cat who will shred my body before she will go into a carrier. Covering her completely with a thick blanket helps.

I use an enormous carrier (40lb dog size) to hold the entire blanket and the cat at the same time. That way even if her arms are out inside the blanket, my hubby and I can still shove it all in there.

If you have trouble getting her into a smaller carrier and don't want to buy/borrow a larger one, you can try putting the blankets inside the two laundry baskets. Just be sure they are really clamped tight.

I had another (foster) kitty who would have escaped from the baskets; he equated the carrier with death. It was a horrible trauma just getting him from my house to his new forever home.

On a side note, I completely second the previous poster who said you will want to keep your kitty inside at first in the new home, until she gets her bearings. Otherwise she will definitely not come back, especially after the carrier trauma. Put her in a very small room; she will feel more secure there. If and when you let her outside, go out there with her and sit and watch her. If she starts to leave the property, call her. Do this every time she gets to the edge of the property. You don't know who your new neighbors are yet or what sort of pets they have.