It's been awhile....Introducing some new family members

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've missed you guys. The new school year is in full swing and I'm finally finding time to post again.

Here are some new family members that we've aquired in the past few months.

This is my Russian tortoise, Dax(ter)....

And my daughters Leopard Gecko's....
This is Phoenix...

And Leah....

And our brand new girl Luna...

We've had a great time learning about these guys and are hoping for many years with them in the future.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're using tiles and paper towel!
Are you a member on a reptile forum or have you just been thoroughly researching enough to know that tiles and paper towels are really the best to use for leos?

I've had a couple of my leos for 7? maybe 8 years now. While I find them to be a little... boring? (they sleep all the time
) they certainly are a kicked back lizard. It is rather funny to see what silly position they're sleeping in today. - currently the youngest is sprawled in her hammock and my big male is passed out on a rock.

You might want to consider a different enclosure for your tort. Aquariums really aren't ideal, they're see through - which stresses tortoises and there can be big airflow problems.
A very large tub, such as the kind made for storing Christmas trees, or even making your own tortoise table would better serve your tort's needs.

You'd modify this basic design a bit http://www.unc.edu/~dtkirkpa/stuff/table.html. If you're really handy or willing to give it your best try you can also tile the bottom for easy cleanup.

If you have any questions about geckos, tortoises, or even diet for either species, feel free to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You're using tiles and paper towel!
Are you a member on a reptile forum or have you just been thoroughly researching enough to know that tiles and paper towels are really the best to use for leos?
Both.
I research before I bring a new pet home and join a forum for backup in case I have more questions.

I've had a couple of my leos for 7? maybe 8 years now. While I find them to be a little... boring? (they sleep all the time
) they certainly are a kicked back lizard. It is rather funny to see what silly position they're sleeping in today. - currently the youngest is sprawled in her hammock and my big male is passed out on a rock.
Yep, I agree. They aren't very active but seem to be the perfect pets for my 8 year old daughter.
She loves her little girls Leah and Luna.They seem to really enjoy the atention that she gives them too. Phoenix can be a bit nippy and so he's more of a look but don't touch Leo.

You might want to consider a different enclosure for your tort. Aquariums really aren't ideal, they're see through - which stresses tortoises and there can be big airflow problems.
Thanks, but I already did that . The picture of him in the aquarium was immediately after I brought him home (got him on Craigslist
) Here are some pictures of his enclosure now.

He's a pretty spoiled little guy. I'm hoping to have an outside space for him to stay in next Summer and maybe a girlfriend (or two) to go with it.

If you have any questions about geckos, tortoises, or even diet for either species, feel free to ask.
I definately will! It's nice to see someone else with a love of herps.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice upgrade!
Too many people don't like it when they find out they have to build something.

I'm guessing you're using a fluorescent UVB light? That enclosure may be large enough for you to use a mercury vapor bulb for both heat and uvb. A little more expensive for the initial purchase ($50-$60 a bulb) but they last longer.
Make sure to be prepared for eggs if you get a female. An incubator and room for 8-16 babies a year.

Good luck with your future pen building.

Just remember you'll need to bury the perimeter and put something like chicken wire across the bottom.
Maybe you can get your 8 year old to help out? I know I loved digging and generally making a mess in the dirt at that age.

Originally Posted by kittiesx2

I definately will! It's nice to see someone else with a love of herps.
There are a few others on here that do too.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm planning on upgrading to a Mercury vapor soon, I was thinking the T-rex or Powersun. For now I have two 10.0 coil UVB's in the long hood and a 100 watt bulb for basking.
It was amazing to see the transformation in him when we moved him into the larger enclosure.
I had thought that he was active before but as soon as we switched him he did laps for several days up and down the ramp looking for food and around the lower section. He hardly stopped to sleep. LOL
Russians have amazing personalities! Dax really likes to interact with people. I can't wait to have an entire houseful of torts. My husband didn't know what he was in for when he married me.

I have a pretty good idea of where I'm putting the pen in. We have a nice covered overhang off of the garage that recieves partial sun almost all day. I think that it would be perfect. I need to start gathering supplies and digging in to check out what I'll be working with. We have a lot of clay in our soil and so drainage will have to be addressed. I found a great website outlining the entire project.
http://www.sonic.net/~oswald/rsc/tortoises.html
I'm hoping to make something similar.

Babies are definately a future project. I need to pick up an incubator next year for the gecko's and rubbermaid tubs "just in case"

We'll wait and see what happens.
I actually found a Russian tortoise breeder only a few hours from me and so I'm sure that a CB girl is in my future.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like how they made that burrow.
Wouldn't work outside here for my boxies though, one heavy rain and that would flood.

With winter coming up here I'll soon have to say 'night' to all of mine when they go down for winter. I'll miss them all.

Originally Posted by kittiesx2

Babies are definately a future project. I need to pick up an incubator next year for the gecko's and rubbermaid tubs "just in case"

We'll wait and see what happens.
I actually found a Russian tortoise breeder only a few hours from me and so I'm sure that a CB girl is in my future.
Hm, I suggest you don't breed the geckos. Unless your girls are % het for whatever albino you have you will get nothing but normal leos. It will be harder to place normals, then it would were they a popular morph.
Aside from that there are already so many in pet stores that either die there or go to horrible homes that it's not really worth adding to the population, unless you can insure a home for each and every one of your babies. Keeping that many yourself will get expensive, so if you don't breed insects already you'll find that to pretty much be the only way to afford feeding so many mouths.
But if you're truly set on it, you may want to think of a shelf setup and heat tape.

You may actually have decent luck selling/placing baby tortoises.

Myself, I have a 'oops' clutch of yearling box turtles that probably shouldn't have hatched - they hatched before winter and hibernated in their nest without me knowing they were out there. I'm lucky I was able to take care of 8 more mouths to feed.

I can understand wanting to let your geckos breed through.
It is neat to see the little newly hatched babies. I decided to let my golden geckos breed this year, luckily they're not as prolific as leos.
I have no plan on breeding them in the future, they're at middle age now and there's no demand for CB goldens (can't even give them away).

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I like how they made that burrow.
Wouldn't work outside here for my boxies though, one heavy rain and that would flood.
I'm not sure if the burrow will work for mine either. I may have to give them a dogloo.

With winter coming up here I'll soon have to say 'night' to all of mine when they go down for winter. I'll miss them all.
My guy's only been with me for a few month and so he's skipping hibernation this year. Hopefully I'll have the nerve to hibernate him next year. I'm kind of nervous about the whole idea. I know that it's natural for them but so many people loose tortoises during hibernation.

Hm, I suggest you don't breed the geckos. Unless your girls are % het for whatever albino you have you will get nothing but normal leos. It will be harder to place normals, then it would were they a popular morph.
Aside from that there are already so many in pet stores that either die there or go to horrible homes that it's not really worth adding to the population, unless you can insure a home for each and every one of your babies. Keeping that many yourself will get expensive, so if you don't breed insects already you'll find that to pretty much be the only way to afford feeding so many mouths.
But if you're truly set on it, you may want to think of a shelf setup and heat tape.
My daugter wants to try hatching at least 1 clutch and we already have families for them. I would make sure that they were cared for properly and would be returned to me if they couldn't care for them anymore. I breed Mealies and Supers for the gecko's and so the extra food cost is minimal.

You may actually have decent luck selling/placing baby tortoises.
I hope to someday. Baby russians are pretty cute. Who could resist.

Myself, I have a 'oops' clutch of yearling box turtles that probably shouldn't have hatched - they hatched before winter and hibernated in their nest without me knowing they were out there. I'm lucky I was able to take care of 8 more mouths to feed.
Aww....baby boxies, how cute. I'm a sucker for the babies

That's another nice thing about Russians. They only eat weeds and greens and so food cost is pretty low. Babies would mean that I didn't have to throw as many greens away.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Great new additions!!! I think they are all beautiful!!
Thanks
I think that they are beautiful too.