One of my cats...

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
...may have peed on my bed. I'm not real sure. I'm not quite sure it smells like cat urine. Now I'm paranoid because my sense of smell isn't very good, and I'm worried that there are spots I missed.

Anyway, I was sleeping and I realized Loki was licking and area below where one of my pillows was (not the place directly underneath). I moved closer and I could smell an odd odor. Now, I do drool and wondered if I had caused it, but decided no. I could smell the same smell on another blanket, too, but there weren't any stains that I could see. Except for Loki's saliva it was dry. I also wasn't sure if it was Loki's saliva I was smelling.

I figured it was just the saliva and turned over to try to sleep more. Then Possum came over, and I noticed he was licking the same place as well. So then I got up and took the offending sheet and blanket off the bed. I could smell the odor on the mattress and part of my feather pad, so I cleaned those parts.

Now I'm worried that one of my cats has a UTI or something, though they've been acting okay. I'm not sure when this happened since it was already completely dry, but I know I haven't smelled the odor before. It didn't seem like a large area. Could it have been just and accident? Like they were sleeping there, and accidentally wet themselves? Will cats lick places like this? Maybe one of them threw up, but it was just liquid? I tried a different brand of wet food last night. Maybe it didn't settle right.

This sucks. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on both.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Tricia

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had that experience. You can get a black light to shine on the spot. If there's a urine stain it will show under it. That will help accommodate your sense of smell. If one of your cats has a UTI you'll see other signs too such as squatting in unusual places, particularly along a wall, blood in urine or straining to go but not being able to. If you're really worried a vet check is the way to go since UTI's come on fast and can be fatal.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you see signs that Jennifer describes, it's already reached a critical stage. I think you can be sure that it's cat urine, and that it's not an accident. Vomit will stain, even if it's just bile. Now to figure out which cat. If you can diagnose and treat a UTI this early it should be fairly easy to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat

I've never had that experience. You can get a black light to shine on the spot. If there's a urine stain it will show under it. That will help accommodate your sense of smell. If one of your cats has a UTI you'll see other signs too such as squatting in unusual places, particularly along a wall, blood in urine or straining to go but not being able to.
Originally Posted by coaster

I think you can be sure that it's cat urine, and that it's not an accident. Vomit will stain, even if it's just bile.
I'm just not sure. I haven't seen any signs; in fact I've heard them both (when it hits the plastic litterbox wall). So, if it is a UTI, then it's still in the early stages. It really doesn't smell like cat urine at all; there's no ammonia smell, and it smells more like something from the stomach. I'm not sure where I can get a blacklight, or if I could afford one. Also, would cats llick a spot they've urinated on? I'm still watching them; and I'll get my Mom's opinion about what it smells like tomorrow.

Tricia

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

Also, would cats llick a spot they've urinated on?
Yes. Cat urine normally has very little odor (unless it's a male tom act or female in heat.) And vomit will flouresce under blacklight. Unless you've seen both vomit and urine stains under blacklight, you might not know the difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Yes. Cat urine normally has very little odor (unless it's a male tom act or female in heat.) And vomit will flouresce under blacklight. Unless you've seen both vomit and urine stains under blacklight, you might not know the difference.
What do you mean by "very little odor"? Because there is a pungent odor when you smell it. What about the ammonia smell that wasn't there? It also wasn't a huge area on the bed.

I'm just so unsure. Why wouldn't cat urine stain the bed? Now I'm worried that one of my boys is sick.

Tricia

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, stronger than normal smelling urine is one sign of a UTI (infection, not crystals.) I never said urine won't stain the bed. Of course it will. I think you're trying to over-analyze. Figure out which cat did it, then take that cat to the vet. You could confine the cat you suspect to the room and if it happens again, then that's the guilty party. If you're lucky it won't happen again and then you'll know it was just one of those mysterious unexplainable incidents that cats throw us from time to time to keep us baffled.