Kitten biting ankles

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I was hoping for a little advice regarding biting. Ares is a very active and playful 6 month old.
He occasionally tries to bite when playing, but a few weeks ago, I was wearing a pair of very soft and thick socks, he began to attack my feet. At the time I told him no, and moved him away from my feet. Ever since then, he has taken to biting my feet, regardless as to whether I am wearing socks or not. I am still trying to discourage this behavior, but he is not letting up. I really want to break this habit and would love some suggestions that would put a permanent stop to this behavior!

Becca, Ares, (and little boy)
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ow2/Ares37.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...rrow2/boy1.jpg

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do what a mom cat would do, stop, look straight at him and hiss. Repeat as often as necessary and you should look like you really mean it. Do not be dissuaded by those cute pair of eyes!

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an ankle biter. Though it's probably not the best way to handle it, he's usually telling me he needs to burn off some energy, so I play with him. Usually I wear slippers so it doesn't hurt because he gets the top of my foot and he bites the slipper, but if he does wind up hurting me, I yell at him and shoo him away for a few to calm down the biting and then burn off the energy by playing.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's starting the bratty teenager stage. You could put a little Bitter Apple spray on your socks/feet to discourage the biting.

Is he an only cat? Maybe you could adopt another kitten to help him burn off energy. Or you need to do more interactive playing with him.

One important thing - don't intice him by wiggling your toes or fingers under a cover/blanket

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He's starting the bratty teenager stage. You could put a little Bitter Apple spray on your socks/feet to discourage the biting.

Is he an only cat? Maybe you could adopt another kitten to help him burn off energy. Or you need to do more interactive playing with him.

One important thing - don't intice him by wiggling your toes or fingers under a cover/blanket
Thanks! I will try the bitter apple spray on my feet and see how that works
As for a playmate, Ares is getting a new little brother in November - (name maybe Hypnos? - not sure yet). I am hoping that he will welcome a new playmate
(See photos of Ares and little boy below.)

Thanks,

Becca, Ares, and baby boy
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ow2/Ares37.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...rrow2/boy1.jpg

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by erinca7821

I have an ankle biter. Though it's probably not the best way to handle it, he's usually telling me he needs to burn off some energy, so I play with him. Usually I wear slippers so it doesn't hurt because he gets the top of my foot and he bites the slipper, but if he does wind up hurting me, I yell at him and shoo him away for a few to calm down the biting and then burn off the energy by playing.
That's funny - I know that Ares does this because he wants to play as well! I am trying not to give in when he does this, because otherwise he'll expect a reward for this behavior

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I almost forgot - I work from home, so between DH and myself - Ares gets at least an hour of interactive play a day (he also has more toys than many babies). And I do not engage in ANY play with fingers or toes

Thanks,

Becca, Ares, and little boy

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized you have devon kittens! Just looked at the pictures
You have a very nice coated black devon

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks! That's our new little boy - our breeder is not sure yet, but he thinks he will be a sepia blue mink point
Both kitties have really great coats - (I need to put a better photo of Ares on my signature, becuz it is a really grainy pic, which doesn't show his beauty.) Your kitty on your banner is gorgeous!! Am I correct in saying a Bengal??

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry - I am terrible at guessing breeds!! Charlie is lovely!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad. We had an interesting thread about the differences between Oci and Bengal and took a guess of which was which with about 20 different pictures. It was a lot of fun and very educational for everyone in here

And thanks for the compliment.