New Family member

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Now that Marcie is established, I thought that she might want a companion. Hubby and I picked out Darcy (Hubby picked the name
) and brought her home. Darcy is 5 months old according to the lady who was the foster mom, but it is just an estimate. She is really small and very bony, but I think that she will fill out once I feed her some good food ( I will be taking her to the vet this week to get her checked out though). Marcie is less than thrilled at the new family member...I hope she will come around. Hubby suggested that I give both of them baths so that they smell the same. He didn't tell me until I was in the bath tub with two cats who don't get along that he was joking
How long does it usually take for a cranky, established female to adjust to things?

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I had advice, there are a ton of people on here who will, but I just had to say that I love that you named them Marcie and Darcy... nice homage to Married with Children

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some suggest the bath idea to create false scents, but this really doesn't work except to possible build a bond of the misery of a bath!
The best thing to help encourage them is to find a common, the most common would be you! So if you play with them interactively, try to have them enjoy something together, it helps secure the trust between the 2 without your presence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so here we are at day three. I think that they are actually starting to get along. I hope so, because they are together at home alone today. The reason that they are together is because Darcy (the kitten) is vehemently opposed to being left in the utility room or the bathroom alone. Within about five minutes of being put to bed last night, the curtains were on the ground and the kitten was tangled up in the top of the blinds. She is very calm when she is not closed in, so hubby and I finally decided to let her loose for the night. She came right up to bed with us. So did Marcie. Marcie slept near me and Darcy slept on the other side of hubby. Except for Marcie hissing at Darcy about once an hour (no actual fighting or bloodshed involved...just noise) everything went fine. In fact, this morning, Marcie and Darcy ate side-by-side in the kitchen this morning with nary a harsh word between them.
Previously Marcie wouldn't even let Darcy in the Kitchen. So I hope that the house is in one piece when I get home tonight

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females tend to be more territorial and take longer to accept another cat, especially if its another female. I'm assuming both are spayed which will help a lot.

If you don't want to bath then sprinkle them both with cornstarch baby powder or put a dab of vanilla extract on their noses.

Cute names, but IMO they are pretty close in how they sound - might be confusing to them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Cute names, but IMO they are pretty close in how they sound - might be confusing to them
My hubby chose Darcy's name (I was hoping for Hannah or Lucille) and I figure that, since neither one of them feels any sort of obligation to come when I call their names, it probably doesn't matter