Big spider!!!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hanging out by the outside light. The pics not very good but the spider is yellow and black. My dad said it's a bananna spider or something. I'm just glad it's outside and not in my house. Agggg (sorry the pics so big)

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all over my hometown in FL. Watch out, they're poisonous. I had one on me once when I was little and it freaked my Dad out.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a really big spider outside the one door here. It's so gross. I want it gone but I don't know how to get rid of it.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

We have a really big spider outside the one door here. It's so gross. I want it gone but I don't know how to get rid of it.
Spray water on it, if you don't want to kill it? If you do, if you have a keyboard air cleaner thing, spray it with that, instant freeze! Bleach is pretty good too if you have it in a spray or any other toxic cleaner. Roach and Bee killer I think has like some kind of compound that gives them a tiny killer voltage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, I selected image and googled banana spider. Really creepy stuff. There are a bunch of different kinds. I found one that looks like mine. It's the third pic or something. Big and huge sitting on a corn stalk. Agggggg, gives me the ibie jeebies. Spiders really don't bother me either.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Talking about spiders, we had a HUGE(Im talking like a tarantula size) but it was a wolf spider.....that thing was so big!!! I think the cold weather is bringing them out, because like 5 minutes after that another smaller one went running across the floor!!

I would so much rather see a snake or mouse...then a spider!!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

Spray water on it, if you don't want to kill it? If you do, if you have a keyboard air cleaner thing, spray it with that, instant freeze! Bleach is pretty good too if you have it in a spray or any other toxic cleaner. Roach and Bee killer I think has like some kind of compound that gives them a tiny killer voltage.
I don't care if it is dead or not but I want it gone. It's always in the same spot right outside and its so gross.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! I saw the title of thread and as I clicked on it I said please no picture......I have an extreme fear of spiders! I am constantly on the look out for them, and have had a few large Wolf spider run ins! And I am in NYC! 3 this year already!

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ughhh i hate spiders sooo bad!! that spider is huge and i would run from that one lol.. in the late summer early fall we get large spiders that make their webs in the upper corners of our front porch. they are kind of interesting, while in their webs like that so i like to sit out on the porch and look at them. i have asked my bfs mom not to remove their webs several times and she has listened. i get freaked out if i see spiders any where else, but i usually ask my boyfriend to move them outside if they are in the house. i feel bad for killing them. they arent really doing anything wrong.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

The spider posted is a Golden Orb Weaver, not a Banana spider
I agree. I don't know much about spiders, I'll admit that, but when a big arse Jewel Spider showed up here a few years ago (and her offspring have stayed year after year), I did some research to find out what kind of spider she was (coincidently, the Jewel Spider can also be called the Cat Face spider, due to the way the "butt" part (sorry) resembles the face of a cat), and I came across the Golden Orb Weaver so many times. Actually, I got quite an education on a LOT of garden spiders during those months when I was initially frightened of the Jewel Spider in my backyard and then entranced.

Looking at the Banana Spider on google, I'm even more sure that you're right, that it's a Golden Orb Weaver (the Banana spider has more yellow than the little guy in the OP's pic). But then again, what do I know? lol

To the OP, does your spider have a sort of "weird" pattern in it's web? Golden Orb Weavers seem to have a trademark zig-zag pattern. Check the pic in this link:
Here's a pic that looks almost exactly like the OP's pic (I tried to find one with an abdomen of lighter stripes, but with two distinct yellowish stripes crossing through them)
http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/5005098.jpg
Family: Araneidae; Genus: Argiope

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not a banana spider. I'm positive it's a giant orb weaver. With orb weavers, you can distinctly see a black and yellow pattern on the abdomen. The banana spider has a yellow abdomen and a white cephelothorax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

To the OP, does your spider have a sort of "weird" pattern in it's web? Golden Orb Weavers seem to have a trademark zig-zag pattern. Check the pic in this link:
Here's a pic that looks almost exactly like the OP's pic (I tried to find one with an abdomen of lighter stripes, but with two distinct yellowish stripes crossing through them)
http://www.forestryimages.org/images...12/5005098.jpg
Family: Araneidae; Genus: Argiope
Yep, that's it. My spider has a zig zag in it's web exactly like that. Also, it has a silvery hue to it. Cool, I have a golden orb weaver.
I fed it a moth last night. It must have been starving because it wrapped up the moth and started feeding right away. I should get an enclousure and keep it as a pet so it doesn't die when it gets cold. Actually last year there were several of them all over the fence in my back yard. I'm sure there's a bunch this year, I just haven't been out to look.