Confused about Nature's Variety....

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little confused about Nature's Variety food, so hopefully someone can help me out

What is the difference between Prairie and Instinct? I've noticed both kinds, in wet and dry, but not sure what the difference is.

Also, I know its more expensive, but would it be better than Cal. Nat. or Evo dry? Riley is currently eating a mix of those dry.

He eats mostly Merrick with some Evo wet mixed in. Today I gave him some Instinct rabbit and he loved it and I have some lamb for him to try also. It seemed like the Prairie had the same flavors.

Should he switch, or would it just be best to use all 3 brands in rotation for the wet?

What about the dry? Would it be better than the CN/Evo mix he's currently eating?

All opinions appreciated!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Instict is the grain free dry ... many of the cans of prarie are grain free..

it would come down to taste

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I would use the brands in rotation, because you never know when one or more will be unavailable due to a recall, strike, or horrible weather conditions. Also, should he later develop health problems and have to switch to a prescription diet, it'll be much easier if he's used to a variety of foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Instict is the grain free dry ... many of the cans of prarie are grain free..

it would come down to taste
Ok, it looks like the Prairie cans are no longer available http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...8367Whi112A8AC

and they have Instinct cans that are grain-free, possibly new, it wasn't too clear on that, and will soon have a different Prairie/homestyle formula with grain

http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...8367Whi112A8AC

No wonder I was confused

Right now, the only grain Riley is getting is in his Cal Nat dry, which he eats mixed with a bit of Evo. Is it best to have him on all grain-free diet?

jcat - Until now Riley would eat only Merrick wet, and worries about a future recall or allergy is why I've been searching so hard for another wet he would eat, and keep him on a 2-3 brand rotation.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grain free IMHO is better for a younger cat ... but DRY IS DRY ... protein in evo 50 or 53% ( cant remember) fat 22
cal natural 36or 38% protein and 16 fat I think

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Grain free IMHO is better for a younger cat ... but DRY IS DRY ... protein in evo 50 or 53% ( cant remember) fat 22
cal natural 36or 38% protein and 16 fat I think
He eats one can of wet a day and all of that is grain free, he just snacks on the dry.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
grain free wet to me is a great thing

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He loved the rabbit, so I'm going to try him on the duck next. If he likes it too, I will get him some to put in rotation with his Merrics and Evo