I'm such a bad mum

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had friends over tonight and had some bottles of juice in the loungeroom sitting on the floor. Stumpy was licking the condensation off the side of the bottle and we were laughing at her for it.

I jokingly said "she must be dying of thirst, I better check her water just in case". I did and it was bone dry!!!!

Poor babies had no water. We have a water dispenser which I usually refill once a week (before it gets completely dry), and I remember filling it last week when it was warm, and I think it must have just dried out fast because it's been warm earlier this week.

I have NO idea how long they've been without water for. I refilled it and put it on the ground and Smudge and Stumpy were both trying to madly drink out of it, so I filled a bowl with water for Smudge and she went straight to it.

They both drank for ages, and even Lily came out (she never comes out when we have people over) so I got her a separate bowl as well, and she ALSO drank for a while.

My poor babies, I don't know long they've been desperate for water for
They don't seem to have suffered too much, and I'm sure they'll be completely fine, but I feel SOOOOOO bad. I've never let their water dry out before

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww Sarah, I'm sure it wasn't that bad. I know when my girls run even a little bit low on food or water they run like banshees when I refill it. There is a lot of water around the house that they can access...dripping faucets, condensation, toilets, and wet food. Cats always find a way. Don't be too hard on yourself!

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to me often. I always refil the water bowl at night, and I also put some dry food in a bowl for them. In the morning Ziggy is always meowing like crazy because her water bowl is dry. As soon as it's full again she laps at it for ages as if she hasn't drank anything for a week.

Don't be too hard on yourself. These things happen

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Stumpy's pretty smart to let you know they needed water! I did this once with our chickens and I felt really bad, too. But really, your trio have forgotten all about it by now, so everybody should let it go. Your kitties have a very sweet life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

There is a lot of water around the house that they can access...dripping faucets, condensation, toilets, and wet food. Cats always find a way. Don't be too hard on yourself!
That's what made me feel bad - Stumpy can find water elsewhere if need be, but Smudge can't jump high enough to access sinks or any other water supply and they don't get wet food anymore.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I think Stumpy's pretty smart to let you know they needed water! I did this once with our chickens and I felt really bad, too. But really, your trio have forgotten all about it by now, so everybody should let it go. Your kitties have a very sweet life.
I thought she was very clever as well - she can find water elsewhere, but to lick the bit of condensation off the bottle in front of me to let me know - that's one smart girl!!

I'll certainly be checking the water dispenser more often...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, don't feel so bad. It probably wasn't for long, or the kitties would have been all over you about it.

I always take a cold Ozarka water to bed with me and have a final drink from it before I lie down -- and a couple of months ago, Pearl started leaping up into my lap and eagerly licking the condensation off the bottle every night.

This went on for a week before I realized that she had become afraid to go into the kitchen for water at night, because that's Sassy's domain, and Sassy can be very intimidating! So now we keep a second set of food and water in the hallway at night.

Poor Pearl! I can't believe it took me so long to get the message! At least you caught on right away...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Sarah these things happen! I've done things like that before. Actually that's one reason I like the girls fountain! It makes a bunch of noise if it gets low.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've done that before too. I felt so bad! It's so hot up here in the summer, and their bowls dry out so quickly. The bad thing is, I spend my day looking after other people's pets and always check their water bowls!