Litter Question

tiamo1275

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the best kind of litter to use for multiple cats, that will save on cost? Aslo is it good to use a combination of litters, and if so, what kinds of litters should I mix together?

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like the Tidy Cat for Multiple Cats (with the red lid), too - it works really well for my kittens. But, blech, I accidentally picked up the one with the blue lid today (I guess that is what Tidy Lock is - it's shaped like little balls. I'd sick with the red lid!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used chicken feed ( poor mans worlds best ) about 10 buck for 50lbs.. and it lasted 3-5 weeks with two cats and two boxes one cat had CRF and peed alot

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I used chicken feed ( poor mans worlds best ) about 10 buck for 50lbs.. and it lasted 3-5 weeks with two cats and two boxes one cat had CRF and peed alot
I also use chicken feed - safer around kittens, who might ingest the clumping clay. For adults only, I add a small amount of Arm&Hammer FRAGRANCE FREE (cats don't like fragrance and it gives me asthma attacks). I also use 2 boxes per cat, because they like 1 for pee and 1 for poop - since the odors really stay down that way, I believe that is why cats don't like to "mix" their wastes.
For the chicken feed, you can use either laying mash or "crackettes". The mash is softer, but if your cats tend to enthusiastically dig, the crackettes are easier to sweep up. I provide both and let each cat choose their preference!