chao's neck is getting worse

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Chao's open wound on his neck is getting worse. We can't get him to stop scratching it. We put a cone on it and it rests right on the wound and makes it worse, we put a sock around his neck and then put the cone (the sock for padding) and you can just tell it's very uncomfortable he's always howling and meowing trying to get the thing off (after a couple days of this we took the cone off and just left the sock on but he was able to scratch off the sock and open the wound again.

He's been to the vets twice and he said until we can figure out a way to get him to stop scratching we can't heal his wound. It's so bad the whole side of his neck is just one open wound. We wash his neck daily and he takes medication but I watch him as good as I can and he still gets the darn thing scratched open. No matter what we have tried we can't get him to stop scratching.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, you'll probably think it's odd but this worked for me. I had a cat with a similar situation. I took a toilet paper roll and cut it so it would fit on her neck and duct taped it together. I put bandaging on the inside so it was comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Ok, you'll probably think it's odd but this worked for me. I had a cat with a similar situation. I took a toilet paper roll and cut it so it would fit on her neck and duct taped it together. I put bandaging on the inside so it was comfortable.
Oh now I have to use all the toilet paper so I can try that. That would probably work really well for him!

G

ghostuser

Would putting soft claws on him maybe help lessen the damage..?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It may I should look into those for him anyways as he has become quit the avid climber of blinds and human legs