Over-brushing?

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat-people,

Is there such a thing as over-brushing kitty?

I got the furminator, and they both love it, but was wondering if I am over-doing it. I brush them every day, and it pulls off a lot, but is there such a thing as over brushing? Possibly damaging the coat?

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The FURminator website says, "The tool is fine to use every day, but really not necessary. With most breeds, using the tool once or twice a week for 10-20 minutes each session will reduce shedding up to 90 percent." I doubt you're doing any harm by brushing them every day. I've been using mine about 2-3 times a week.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't believe you can over brush a cat. The only thing I worry about with the furminator is the possibility of irritating the skin but the cats would let you know if that were happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

The only thing I worry about with the furminator is the possibility of irritating the skin but the cats would let you know if that were happening.
Yea I know, Cosmo is an older cat and I feel some "bumps" on his back when I pull that Furminator, I halfway expect him to protest when those teeth run over the bumps (he is very skinny), but he seems to like it.