New here, deciding on a breed...

bmccord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I will be getting a couple cats soon and I have a couple breed questions. I grew up with cats and not dogs so obviously I now want a couple of my own now that I am out of college, working and have a place of my own. My folks have three Ragdoll boys and they are great. I REALLY like them but I can't help but to look at what else is out there.

Here is what I am looking for:

Large cat (14+ lbs)
easy to train to use a scratch post
good with litter box
cuddly (I wish the ragdolls were moreso, they seem to have a space bubble)
less meowing (like ragdolls)
indoor cat

Basically, the only other breeds I have been entertaining are Pixie Bobs and Bengals. I really like the Pixie bob because of the exotic, wild look yet is has a wonderful temperament. Cost is an issue as I really don't want to spend over 600-700 each.

In summary, I have done lots of reading on the Pixie Bobs and they are my favorite. They seem to be what I am looking for. They follow you around, the 'chirp' like the ragdolls do and don't meow alot. I just hope they are cuddly. Are there any other things I should know about these cats? I am going to try and find a ver reputable breeder in the midwest area (I live outside of Kansas City). Thanks.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Bengals would meet your criteria - they're not huge cats, sort of average size, and they aren't cuddly lap cats as they have far too much energy to sit still long enough! Entertaining and intelligent, but not cuddly. I don't know anything about the Pixie Bob never having met one in person.

Do you have any preference as to shorthair or longhair? Many longhair breeds tend to be larger body size, but do require some time set aside for grooming and keeping their coat free of matts.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals are often very vocal. Not quite as distinctive voices as the Siamese but they do talk quite a lot. They're also usually not very cuddly although it varies with the cats.

I.e my bengal girl will often cuddle with me on the sofa if she has had her fill playing (which is usually around an hour or two of intense leaping about full on play time)

Bengals are also medium cats rather than large most of the time. They are quite heavy for their size because they are so muscled but that means that a 12 pound bengal will look smaller than a 12 pound Ragdoll

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

One of my favorite breeds is a Scottish Fold. I love how adorable they are. They have plush pretty coats and sweet folded ears. Their temperament is generally exceptionally loving and cuddlesome...Some are skittish, it really depends on how they are raised.

They look like kitty-owls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Scottish_Fold01.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P1050446e.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...ttish_Fold.jpg

http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/s...-fold-faq.html

I have never owned one but I ADORE them and would love to own one some day.
This is a particular good cattery for them: http://www.purrfectfolds.com/

She seems like a responsible breeder to me. There is also a Scottish Fold Rescue program: http://www.scottishfoldrescue.org/

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to check out the Norwegian Forest Cat. They sound very cool. One of their traits is to be somewhat dog-like - fetching balls and following you around and such. Maine Coons are quite large, but not sure about cuddly. I know they reportedly form a very strong attachment to just one person usually.

I have a Ragdoll too. I think they just might be too big to be lap cats. He follows me around all over the place, but really prefers to lie on the floor at my feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmccord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Do you have any preference as to shorthair or longhair? Many longhair breeds tend to be larger body size, but do require some time set aside for grooming and keeping their coat free of matts.
I would say medium. I would prefer a coat that doesn't shed much. The ragdolls are pretty good. From what I gather, the Pixie Bob is a relatively new bread (15-20 years) so not too many people have them.

I guess all I want is a cat that looks like a wild animal, however is actually a loving cuddler...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you asked for breeds but since your criteria really doesnt match any one breed .. try the local shelter and look at the 6month to 2 yr old cats.. they are still kittenish but personalitys are in

bmccord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been to several of them numerous times. I will try a different approach. Does anyone have any experience with Pixie Bobs? They are pretty close, from reading, to what I want. I just want to know if there is something I am missing about them. I just really like the way those cats look but I don't want to get a couple and have them tear up my house

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixie Bobs are not common, so it might be hard to even find a close breeder. I'd do as much research as you can and start emailing or calling the breeders and talking to them if you think that's what you want.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am concerned with your concern over things like EASY training, less meowing( dont look at orientals or bengals)... CATS are NOT dogs/// Most do train to a scratch post but many will still occationally scratch furniture....

I do agree TALK TALK TALK to the breeder s ... I am unsure what Pixies run but most purebred cats run in my area ( for a well breed) run 700-1500

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, please do be aware that while some breeds may catch on to things quicker, not all cats are "easy to train". Cats do what they want, when they want.

I do not want you to get your dream kitty only to wake up in a nightmare. Please, do your research on what a good breeder is. Consider getting 2 kittens at once. And be prepared for behavioral problems, like inappropriate scratching. Things like that happen.

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My persians don't meow (I mean, one of them doesn't meow at all, and the other very, very rarely, and he is a himmy, not a persian), don't scratch inapropriately (only on their scratching posts), and are good with litter box (only go there). And of course they are indoor. And they won't tear up your house. But they are not cuddly. People do say they have cuddly cats-I personally have not ever owned a cuddly cat. Cats are not like dogs. Cats are pretty independent by nature. I don't think cats have the same love for their owners dogs do. I don't know much about pixie bob cats. From the description, they sound nice, but like others pointed out, it's a rare breed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bigger question to the OP is: What happens if you pick out a cat and its not all what you expect - its not a cuddler, etc.? What happens to the cat?

bmccord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I have done some more reading. I could take in a stray off the street and would be more than happy. I have grown up with all kinds of cats so my general descriptions are just what the ideal cat for me would be. A cat that talks alot would not really bother me. For some reason I like how quiet the ragdolls are. I would get 2 of them for sure. I have read that getting a brother and sister seems to be best for that breed but then other people have told me to get 2 boys. I was planning on spending at least 650+ each for a good cat. And if I get a couple and they are not what I had initially hoped for, I will learn to love them. One of my favorite cats growing up was more or less a 'crackhead' cat (as the neighbors called it). She was a wild mess and tried to tear up everything but I was the only one in the family that could get near her.

Trust me, I will be happy with anything but I was just making sure what I am attempting to get into is not the polar opposite of what my general likings are. Thanks everyone. I will start hunting down breeders next. What is a good way to find out if the breeder is, well, a good breeder. I have read to get papers and look for TICA information but thats about it. Thanks again everyone.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bmccord

Well, I have done some more reading. I could take in a stray off the street and would be more than happy. I have grown up with all kinds of cats so my general descriptions are just what the ideal cat for me would be. A cat that talks alot would not really bother me. For some reason I like how quiet the ragdolls are. I would get 2 of them for sure. I have read that getting a brother and sister seems to be best for that breed but then other people have told me to get 2 boys. I was planning on spending at least 650+ each for a good cat. And if I get a couple and they are not what I had initially hoped for, I will learn to love them. One of my favorite cats growing up was more or less a 'crackhead' cat (as the neighbors called it). She was a wild mess and tried to tear up everything but I was the only one in the family that could get near her.

Trust me, I will be happy with anything but I was just making sure what I am attempting to get into is not the polar opposite of what my general likings are. Thanks everyone. I will start hunting down breeders next. What is a good way to find out if the breeder is, well, a good breeder. I have read to get papers and look for TICA information but thats about it. Thanks again everyone.
You could check out the CFA or TICA websites - also, there are several breeders here. Finally, you could got to Petfinder.com and if you still want a "breed" they do have links to specific breeds/cross-breeds. Welcome to TCS! I have sweet Raggie boy and two "adoptees" and I love them all!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one TCS member that I know of that has a Pixie Bob. Hopefully they will catch this thread and give you some insite on this breed. CFA does not accept the Pixie Bob just TICA that I know of. Here is link of some Pixie Bob breeders

http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/pix.html

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you adopt littermates, it really doesn't matter if you get M/F or M/M. As long as the kittens are spayed/neutered by 4 months old, you won't have problems.

I prefer males over females. IMO they have better attitudes and are more accepting of new cats in the future then the females are. There are exceptions, but I've owned cats for a LONG time and I'll take a male any day!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all honesty, go to a cat show, talk to people and decide from there. Meanwhile, hunt your streets for a soul that needs to be rescued! Deciding on a breed is never easy and personally, the best way to find a breed that suits you to a T would be to roam the show halls!

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I did. My wife and I were pretty sure we wanted an Abyssinian, and after going to a show we totally fell in love with them. And we were able to talk to different breeders about the cat.

The big problem is that it's so hard to determine personality without talking to someone who has raised a line of cats for a while. Random cats at the SPCA have a lot of love to give, but you don't know their backgrounds very well. Were they abused as kittens? Weaned too early? Have a family that neglected them and they scratch/pee on furniture? I'm a big fan of cats from registered breeders because the first 3 months for a kitten are so important, and a breeder's household is a very happy place for a kitten -- mom's there, littermates are around and everyone plays, the breeder handles them a lot and plays with them, etc. It's that happy interaction early in life that, I think, leads to a cat with few troubles (other than regular cat mischief!). The great thing about going to a cat show is that you see all of these cats with their owners/showers, and it's obvious that the people are really proud of their cats and love them. So it's also a great environment to learn about and see different breeds.

Just remember that there's a difference also between an actual breeder, and someone who simply lets their cat get pregnant!