How do you tell what type a cat is?

mishmallow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have a cat named, Misfit that is multi colored...I always called her a calico because of the different colors but then a house guest told me that it was a Mao. Im kind of confused on how to tell what a cat is? Do you go by body shape or fur? Both? Or do you call her a mutt or somthing? I found her as a stray kitty so I don't know the parents.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g?t=1190982686

Im curious about her kittens too. I found her preggers and I had to wait until she had kittens to get her spaid (that or get kittens aborted). THis is the first time I get to take care of kittens and Im so excited!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g?t=1190983144

This one is my favorite!

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=babychao.jpg

I noticed there eyes turn red in the camera. Very freaky. (only the white ones) But their eyes are blue, just reflects red. I figured that their eyes have to be pink to be natural albinos. So it makes me wonder if I should take them to the vet to get their eyes checked out?

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...isfitbaby2.jpg
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ent=grumpy.jpg

These two are my favorite and I want to keep them.
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=babychao.jpg
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...urrent=teo.jpg

Actually I think Ill keep all of them. I promise Im getting them all spaid!!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! They are SOOOOOO cute! Look at their little orange ears... and the all orange one is so bright looking.

You queen has too much color/not enough white to be a calico. She's probably a moggie (the cat equivelent of a mut). So, I think she'd be called a DSH (domestic short hair) and her coloring would be Torbie with white or a tortie tabby with white... both mean the same thing. She's a very pretty girl!

Oh, and the red eyes are normal for cats if you use flash. They look very healthy and happy... just a little evil with the flashed out eyes.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mummy cat is a DSH patched tabby, also know as torbie, but I don't thinks theres enough tortoishell to call her a torbie. But I think she must have mated with a pointed cat, as the white ones look like they have coloured tails and ears. You'll know when they are older as their colour will darken. Although they could be Vans (I think you can get a red and white van?)

They are very sweet though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

Your mummy cat is a DSH patched tabby, also know as torbie, but I don't thinks theres enough tortoishell to call her a torbie. But I think she must have mated with a pointed cat, as the white ones look like they have coloured tails and ears. You'll know when they are older as their colour will darken. Although they could be Vans (I think you can get a red and white van?)

They are very sweet though.
Thats what I was trying to think of... patched tabby! D'Oh!

I agree that some of the white kittens have a van patter. I don't know about genetics so I have no idea what father would have made the kittens... is just call them cute!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom's a brown patched tabby with white - not a calico. Calicos have a lot more white and are red (orange) and black patches. You have a basic brown tabby with some red mixed in. She's a Domestic Short Hair cat since she's mixed.

Its obvious that mom is also carrying the pointed gene as you have some pointed kittens (the "white ones"). Dad's either a pointed cat or also a carrier in order to get pointed kittens. Red points take awhile to get color on the ears, face, tail and feet. You could have a pointed with white too. If their eye color stays blue, then they will be pointed kittens. If it changes to gold then they would be more of a van patterned cat.

Kittens with blue eyes usually reflect the red color in pictures. Nothing wrong with them.

jaustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG, I saw the picture of your cat and it looks EXACTLY like my new baby!

Can you say Deja Vu?!?! She has the white belly, also.

I did some research on her and I found out that oriental cats can come in tabby patterns and tabby comes in many colors, I believe. My guess is oriental. My cat has a very long tail and loves to talk like orientals (or siamese). I don't know about your cat but that's what I found out about mine.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH my GOODNESS! Look at all those BEAUTIFUL Kittens!
& Mom is adoreable too!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jaustin,

I would suspect there is a high probability of either a siamese or oriental in your girl - she's very stricking marked too (brown patched tabby/white)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww they are adorable!! Good on you for taking her in and taking such good care of all of them!

I just wanted to add again that the red eye is normal - it's the same as humans getting the red eye in photos
The good thing about blue eyed cats is that you can use red eye reduction on the camera or photo software to fix it. My kitties all have copper coloured eyes which reflect a more yellow colour, and that's not as easily fixable!

frisk

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, what a pretty mommy and beautiful kittens!!

Thank you for taking her in and caring for her and her little ones!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome! Your momma cat is beautiful and her kittens are squealicious! They couldn't get more adorable.
We'll keep you to your promise.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are all sooo cute! That little orange one just stands right out among them! I hope you stick around so we can see what they look like as they grow up! I'm interested to see how the white ones will change with thier markings. Do you know the sexes of them?

Originally Posted by sarahp

Awwww they are adorable!! Good on you for taking her in and taking such good care of all of them!

I just wanted to add again that the red eye is normal - it's the same as humans getting the red eye in photos
The good thing about blue eyed cats is that you can use red eye reduction on the camera or photo software to fix it. My kitties all have copper coloured eyes which reflect a more yellow colour, and that's not as easily fixable!

I've used a photo program to manually color my girls' eyes in and sometimes it makes them look like bug-eyed!

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness, I am dying they are SO cute! Such adorable little puffs of fluff!

And your mama cat is gorgeous. I adore her ears, they are so pretty and slender. My new kitty is a flame point, such a cutie pie! His face is pure white but his ears and tail have cream points.
Can't wait to see the little ones grow up.

Welcome to the board btw! Thanks for taking care of the sweet kitties you rescued!