Showing an altered cat.

jaws808

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got this maine coon named Dale, 6month old male. I had him neutered since he's intended to be just a pet. I have all the papers from the breeder, proving he's of pure blood and whatnot. He has incredible markings, is LARGE for his age, great coloration, ect. what are my show options, seeing as he's fixed, if I want to enter him? This cat would probably steal the show, he's stunning.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem--there's almost always a class for neutered animals.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May depend on whether the breeder allows you to show him or not. Over here you can only show with breeder permission (clearly marked on the papers).

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What registry is he registered with? In CFA you show altered cats in Premiership. And yes it is a good idea to check with his breeder before you do show him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you might think he's great (which he is) he would have to be top show quality to be worthy of showing. I'd check with the breeder and have him/her evaluate show potential.

You can show pedigree altered cats in all the associations - CFA, ACFA, TICA and a few others.

I will tell you that the Maine Coon classes (kitten, championship, alter) are VERY competitive and you have to have outstanding examples of the breed if you want to win anything! Many shows that I've been to have had over 10 kittens, championship and alters just in the MCs! (and that's over 10 in EACH class - not total MCs)

If the breeder says you can try, by all means take him to a show. As long as he's not declawed you can show him.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GK is indeed right about the numbers of coons being shown. I just checked the breed rankings for Maine Coons in CFA - over 100 in Championship, Kitten AND Premiership. A very tough breed to show in the US. No definitive figure for all 3 classes because the CFA breed rankings stop at 100.

The Maine Coon I'm showing for a friend is currently ranked #42 in the CFA world and she is a VERY good example of the breed especially for a female!

In all things Maine Coon, balance is very very important even though Balance carries very few points in the standard (only 5 points for Balance). It is, 95% of the time, the determining factor on which cat gets Best of Breed. Of course, I speak CFA only. It is interesting to note though that Maine Coon are 1 of only 4 breeds that actually HAVE points for balance!

I would suggest you go through the breed standards and determine (and be very critical) whether your cat, although perfect, is worthy of showing. Here's the link for CFA Maine Coons Standards if you will....

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/standards/maine.html

Hope this helps some!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and at 6 months, you can show him as a kitten. When he reaches 8 months, he'll be considered an adult and should be shown in Premiership.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added note - you CAN show altered kittens in the Kitten class now. Used to be that you had to wait and alter them for adult class, but with the early spay/neuter now, the associations had to change their rules

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Added note - you CAN show altered kittens in the Kitten class now. Used to be that you had to wait and alter them for adult class, but with the early spay/neuter now, the associations had to change their rules
Didn't know altered kittens were an issue really!
My altered Abys have been shown in kitten class without problems!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was showing in the 70's-90's Kittens could not be altered under 7 months old. Most breeders didn't even neuter/spay till 6-8 months old. The rexes I sold were not required to be altered till 6-7 months old and everyone complied.

Even in the HHP classes you didn't have kittens spayed/neutered till they were 7-8 months old.

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, showing a maine coon is going to be tough in most places as there are quite a few of them. More importantly, it's very likely that the breeder let you have him as a pet because he wouldn't show well.

For instance, I've got an Abyssinian with some minor tabby stripes on his elbows, and a few spots on his belly. While it makes him an incredibly cute kitten, he would immediately disqualify from shows because he deviates from the breed standard. I was just at a cat show and it's initially funny that it seems that every cat wins something, but you quickly realize it's because people only show cats that have a pretty good chance of winning.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture of your cat. We can sorta evaluate him against the standard if you'd like
There are a number of us with good show experience/breed knowledge.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EggyToast

I was just at a cat show and it's initially funny that it seems that every cat wins something
I wish it were that way. But here, with only 5-10 placings with 25-40 cats, most go home with nothing!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EggyToast

Yeah, showing a maine coon is going to be tough in most places as there are quite a few of them. More importantly, it's very likely that the breeder let you have him as a pet because he wouldn't show well.

For instance, I've got an Abyssinian with some minor tabby stripes on his elbows, and a few spots on his belly. While it makes him an incredibly cute kitten, he would immediately disqualify from shows because he deviates from the breed standard. I was just at a cat show and it's initially funny that it seems that every cat wins something, but you quickly realize it's because people only show cats that have a pretty good chance of winning.
Unfortunately Abys are just as tough a breed as Maine Coons - over 100 in the championships, 88 in Kitten Class and 62 in Premiership. I'm just lucky - my Bulan (GC Masmera Cahaya Bulan) is currently ranked 15th best Aby (Championship) and her brother Pr (soon to be GP I pray) is 24th in Premiership (only one show so far) in CFA. Wont last for long but I'm enjoying being in that position while it lasts.
In fact if both cats end the season in the 30's I'll be well pleased since it tells me I'm on the right track as a breeder!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget... can you put pet-quality purebreds in the Household class?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure where you live Callista, but over here you cannot show PQ cats in HHP.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Yes, you can for CFA BUT:

1. Make sure you have the breeder's permission to do so (and my pet contract does state a no-show clause)

2. Although the cat will be judged fairly, there IS a bias to put up the more "domestic" looking cats in the high finals - so don't be surprised if a Persian "lookalike" loses to the basic tuxedo DSH or some uniquely colored DSH

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way I understand it, it's considered a bit rude to put pedigree cats into the household pet category. Which sort of sucks if you have a purebred oet quality cat and want to show just for the fun of it.

You can talk to the breeder though and might get both support and permission to show the cat. I did that with my bengal. I bought her as a pet but then sort of want to try showing her and I talked to her breeder and now have permission to show if I want to in addition to some advice on upcoming shows and what to expect etc.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

It depends on the registry. In the GCCF here in the UK you can't enter a pedigree in the non-pedigree classes, and your cat will probably be looked over if it resembles a pedigree cat - the classes are for moggies and that's quite strict.

Some bigger shows and some clubs do have 'pedigree-look-alike' classes in which non-pedigrees or pet quality pedigrees are judged against the standard of points for the breed they most resemble (although obviously not as harshly as in the classes for papered show-cats!) - it's done for a bit of fun, and so that those with crossbreeds or 'I think she's a Siamese but I got her from the shelter so no papers' can have a go at showing for fun

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot more pet quality PB's in ACFA and TICA then in CFA cause the judges in CFA kinda frown on PB's being in the HHP class even if they are pet quality.

I also agree its not fair to knowingly put a PB in the HHP class. While its one thing to put a persian or siamese in the HHP class that you adopted from a shelter, its quite another thing to go buy a PB pet from a breeder and then "show" it. If you want to show a PB, then go buy one from the breeder that is SHOW quality and show it.

Charlie's breeder has in her pet contract that the pet quality spotted Oci's are NOT to be shown in any class. The classic, ticked or ghost Oci's could be shown in the HHP classes as they are not eligible for championship showing.