Loving what irks everyone else...

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it funny how certain traits and/or interests can be tolerated or even enjoyed in your SO, when other people couldn't stand it? For example, my bf's sense of humour and my own are not the same (his is quite....lewd and mine is dry, even black), but I find him funny and he finds me funny, and neither of us are ever offended by the other's comments, which tends to be a worry with other people. So, it works.

Halo 3 came out this week and my boyfriend is a HUGE fan. He stayed up all night the first night it came out and didn't come to bed last night until after 6am. My living room has been full of 20-something guys playing Halo pretty much full-time since tuesday night.

It has been brought to my attention that not all women would be so accomodating. I has even been suggested that I'm encouraging insanity. But it works for us and I'll tell you why.....

I am a tv-nut and when I get into a show, I get....um....monomaniacal is the mot juste. LOL. And bf has put up with many Grey's Anatomy and West Wing marathons since we've been together. Anyway, I had him set up our original xbox in the bedroom so I can watch dvds (I'm so into the West Wing right now, I can't get enough. And with 150+ episdoes, by the time I get through the series, I'm ready to rewatch from the beginning.....did I mention that I'm a bit obsessive when I like a show??? Also, he brought me home Grey's Anatomy Season 3 on dvd for no special reason the other day, even though my birthday is coming up and he could have held onto it until then). That way, they can play their Halo and I can keep myself occupied. Everyone is happy.

What are some examples of compromises or odd traits that work between you and your SO?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're sort of like you. My husband and I have movie nights and gaming nights. When he has "play dates"
with the guys, I either read, watch a movie in the bedroom, or go out for coffee with a girlfriend. He works really hard and should get to play whenever he wants.
I like to obsess over my favorite movies (and TV on DVD) while he is away traveling!

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a lot of em! My hubby is in love with his big screen and he knows I like my lap top, so he set up the wireless stuff in our house so he can watch his big screen in the livingroom and I can be right beside him! I hear a lot of comments about our differet personalities, I'm very talkative and outgoing whereas he is shy and reserved. Anyways, it works for us because he just lets me take over in social situations and do all of the planning pretty much. I mean I'm sure there are more that I just can't think of, but if you love someone with all you heart, which we do
, things like that are endearing, and our differences just make our love that much stronger. That sounded so mushy!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

Isn't it funny how certain traits and/or interests can be tolerated or even enjoyed in your SO, when other people couldn't stand it? For example, my bf's sense of humour and my own are not the same (his is quite....lewd and mine is dry, even black), but I find him funny and he finds me funny, and neither of us are ever offended by the other's comments, which tends to be a worry with other people. So, it works.

Halo 3 came out this week and my boyfriend is a HUGE fan. He stayed up all night the first night it came out and didn't come to bed last night until after 6am. My living room has been full of 20-something guys playing Halo pretty much full-time since tuesday night.

It has been brought to my attention that not all women would be so accomodating. I has even been suggested that I'm encouraging insanity. But it works for us and I'll tell you why.....

I am a tv-nut and when I get into a show, I get....um....monomaniacal is the mot juste. LOL. And bf has put up with many Grey's Anatomy and West Wing marathons since we've been together. Anyway, I had him set up our original xbox in the bedroom so I can watch dvds (I'm so into the West Wing right now, I can't get enough. And with 150+ episdoes, by the time I get through the series, I'm ready to rewatch from the beginning.....did I mention that I'm a bit obsessive when I like a show??? Also, he brought me home Grey's Anatomy Season 3 on dvd for no special reason the other day, even though my birthday is coming up and he could have held onto it until then). That way, they can play their Halo and I can keep myself occupied. Everyone is happy.

What are some examples of compromises or odd traits that work between you and your SO?
My hubby loves hockey , when play off are on I do something else (computor, scrapbooking) I love Survivor , he hates it, he puts the youngest to bed, and takes the other two to the library, He love brussels sprout
, I cook them for him, He buys me steak and seafood ,he hates it, it is a give and take world

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the other half and I are the couple from high school you thought would not make it past the first week of summer and we have been together for three years. I think we work out because I dont nag. I dont complain. We are opening up a business and there are many times where we can quarrel or have a difference of opinion, and we are still together because after it is over, its over. And after a disagreement we can still go out together and have fun with each other. When it comes down to it we have two best friends and the are a couple too. They are like family to us, and we all just fit. . .

It is me him and the cat. If you knew us from the beginning you would know that is like trying to take one peice from one hundred different puzzles and having them make one picture. Somehow we just fit. . .