Prowling with the angels

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The minute the tiny, flea-ridden orange ball of fluff was placed in my hands, there was an instant connection. One of her polydactyl paws tentatively reached out and tapped my arm as if to say; “would you pay attention to me?†Several fleas jumped on my arms (souvineersof her neglected state).

I lifted her up and raised her to my face, kissing her nose and told her she would be okay now. Then, I rushed this just weeks old kitten to the vet where she was treated for anemia, dehydration, ear mites and parasites.

From the beginning there was something different about this orange slice of life. She was accepting of the whole crew and as she grew, she became my gatekeeper. She would be the first to mother the orphaned kittens that came here, the first to put her paw around a scared new arrival and the first to stand up to my alpha males, telling them in her own intermittent style that she wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t going to take their nonsense.

Her extra toes allowed her the luxury of being in places other cats couldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get to. She would open up the lower kitchen cupboards and climb inside my Tupperware salad bowl and sleep. I named her Prowler because at any given time, she could be found in the strangest places, exploring her territory and claiming it as her own.

At night, or early in the morning, she would climb into my lap and headbump me as I tried to drink my customary cup of coffee. I learned after several hot splashes, to limit the amount of the hot liquid I put in the cup, I never limited her headbumps. I treasured them.

And so she became my lap partner, my bed buddy. Her furriness would snuggle against my chest and she would sleep as I read or watched televison.

In Feb of 07 she came down so ill. She was unable to eat, would gulp repeatedly, would sit bent over the food bowl but be unable to swallow. She had a high fever, she was severely dehydrated and she stopped peeing all in the matter of 24 hours. I rushed her to the vet where she was put on IVâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s, they put a catheter inside of her, but she was bone dry. There wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t even enough urine to spin.

And so it went for eight long months with her having good days and then what I would come to call her Crash Days. She had FLUTD that was resistant to drugs, persistent in nature and she was put on pain management and a special diet.

Early this week she crashed again, and this crash was hard. Accustomed to her litter pan accidents, at first I just thought it was another episode of spasms, but as the days passed, her urine turned more bloody- drops left all over the house. She had been to the vet so many times, had so many tests and I had no answers. I had suspicions since I have (had) two other cats victim of pet food contamination, but she got ill long before the recall.

This morning she passed away. She is now prowling with the angels and I know they are as delighted to have her, as I am devastated that she is gone. The cats know she is gone as well. Her buddy Everest has been inconsolable since we laid her to rest in the woods behind our home. His cries for her break my heart and I tried to tell him she is at peace now, and would want him to be glad for her that she no longer feels pain.

I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know if there will be another Prowler in my home, for she was one of a kind and I will miss her forever.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, MA!
So sad. I'm so sorry your sweet girl is gone, but you're right, she's no longer suffering, her struggle is over. Many
to you, and also scritches for Everest.

RIP Sweet Prowler

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a beautiful tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. I'm very sorry for your loss. You tried so hard for her. You can really see her cute mitted feet in the second photo. She sounds like a wonderful cat and I can see why she will be so sorely missed.

Play happily among the angels Prowler.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, Mary Ann! I am so sad to read this.

Prowler was indeed a special kitty.

RIP sweet girl

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh MA
What a wonderful tribute to Prowler - she's no longer suffering, your right- I know that all the kitties over the Rainbow Bridge are happy to have her up there with them.
I know my Davidson will show her the way

RIP sweet Prowler

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mary Ann I'm so sorry
.Its hard to loose such a good buddy. They really do leave paw prints on our hearts that we will carry with us for ever..

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor Prowler. And I'm so sorry for your loss. May Prowler RIP and have a purrfect body now that she's over the rainbow bridge.

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh MA
I'm so sorry.
Prowler certainly was one of a kind; you now have a special angel watching over you.
Thank you for sharing her with us; I always loved hearing about her.

Rest in peace sweet Prowler.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lossed your precious Prowler. What an adorable little girl. Rest in peace sweet Prowler.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*hug Hissy* We love them all but for a short time before they leave us. This one will leave a lasting paw print on the hearts of those who came to know and love her through you. My heart and tears are with yours, dear girl.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh MA I am so sorry!
Prowler is among the angels now, where she truly belongs.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Prowler.
I wish I could say or do something to make it feel better.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh this is so hard to hear. It's been a difficult week to hear of Jake's passing and now Prowler...two kitties I loved without ever meeting in person.

I am so sorry MA...I had wished you both to have many years together.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm in tears...such a wonderful post. I'm so sorry that she had to go, but she's up there now over at Rainbow bridge putting her paw over the new little ones to comfort them as they arrive there after her.

G'nite, Prowler, you special girl. Keep an eye on those you left behind, so you'll know when to meet up with them again someday.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry M.A.
Our deepest condolences to you and your family.

R.I.P. dear sweet Prowler.
She is an angel amongst angels.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That was such a lovely tribute to your sweet cat. I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm saying prayers for you and your family. Your Prowler is sleeping well now and doing all the things she loved the most on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. <3

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear this, she sounds like she was a wonderful cat. RIP little one, and send a message down soon.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(((HUGS))) MA, I have to agree with Pat&Alix,
\t Oh this is so hard to hear. It's been a difficult week to hear of Jake's passing and now Prowler...two kitties I loved without ever meeting in person.
You're in my thoughts and prayers, my friend

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to leave a remembrance here of her because I shared her so freely with everyone here. The spirit in this house is dimmed right now in her absence and perhaps someday the tears will stop when I think of her. Last night, it rained and as I l laid in bed missing her softness and her gentle purr, all I could think of was "Sweet Prowler, you must be so cold, and scared in the dark now." She was my night light, my bright and shining girl who could melt my heart in a single minute. I buried her in her first blanket and hoped it would keep her warm and comforted.

I learned more than I wanted to about FLUTD and I urge all of you to steer away from fish flavored cat foods and encourage your cats to drink as much water as you can if you feed dry food only. This is a horrible disease and on my end, it was mismanaged by vets who are more skilled with cattle and sheep than they are cats and dogs.