I am a faker!!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a phone call faker.

Today while at K Mart, I realized that I do this alot.

When I see someone wanting me to buy their "Portrait Packages" or donate to the "Girl Scout cookie campaign; no we don't care that you've bought 15 boxes already", I put my cell phone to my ear and pretend I'm having a conversation

Is this totally unethical or mean??? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind donating to a good cause, but just let me get on with the shopping that I'm here to do. If I wanted a great photo package, I would call you at your business instead of showing up at a department store.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a huge fan of "phone faking" ....i've had soo many people do that to me while i'm at work/etc and they've been rude about it. I would much rather someone just politely say they're not interested or unable to donate/etc do whatever, rather than fake a phone call.

That being said though- if i feel suspecious about someone or there is a strange person near me in a parking lot, while i'm getting gas, etc- I will pick up my phone and dial Colin or my best friend and keep them on the phone with me until i'm safely in my car or in a building and i make sure they know where i'm at, etc. But that's not faking it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I'm not a huge fan of "phone faking" ....i've had soo many people do that to me while i'm at work/etc and they've been rude about it. I would much rather someone just politely say they're not interested or unable to donate/etc do whatever, rather than fake a phone call.
Oh. Well. I would love to be polite, and think that I am normally, but from history of trying this approach, I get hounded too much from them if I say no thanks.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Oh. Well. I would love to be polite, and think that I am normally, but from history of trying this approach, I get hounded too much from them if I say no thanks.
I agree, sometimes people just don't get the point when you tell them you're not interested in something and try to be polite. (definitely gets frusterating!)

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ehh, I dont think it is unethical. . . You are there for a purpose not for that... you know? I also will call someone when I am alone and someone suspicious is around. . . just makes you feel not so alone. . .

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

Ehh, I dont think it is unethical. . . You are there for a purpose not for that... you know? I also will call someone when I am alone and someone suspicious is around. . . just makes you feel not so alone. . .
Yeah, that's when I phone-fake too! I hate being alone in a big parking lot or walking at night....so I put on the phone and make myself look engaged.

I don't think it's wrong to use it to get away from something, but I have no problem telling those people "no" if it is honestly what I want to say (not to be mean)

But, if you don't want to break their hearts (understandable for little kids especially) don't feel badly for phone-faking!!!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

Yeah, that's when I phone-fake too! I hate being alone in a big parking lot or walking at night....so I put on the phone and make myself look engaged.

I don't think it's wrong to use it to get away from something, but I have no problem telling those people "no" if it is honestly what I want to say (not to be mean)

But, if you don't want to break their hearts (understandable for little kids especially) don't feel badly for phone-faking!!!
Okay...Now I look like a bad person. But, I wouldn't do it to little kids--just because I used the girl scouts as an example, I guess you think that. I have a friend who sells these cookies for her daughter in front of stores and she tells me how they put the pressure on. I don't agree with that. If I wanted to stop and buy something, I would. You don't have to try and seek me out.
In fact, at this particular store today, they had two people--one outside taking donations and one inside selling photo packages.
But, no I don't feel bad for doing it to the people in the mall who want to spray stuff all over me, no matter how many times I say no and they follow me up the hall, "but this stuff eases tension" I reply, I am allergic--"then we have this non-scented stuff"; great, but I am in a hurry, "but, lady, it'll only take a minute". This irritates me and if I can avoid having my nerves trampled on by faking a phone call, then so be it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. As for Girl Scout Cookies, I'm sure that I'm buying enough to make up for what you would have donated

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I wouldn't worry about it. As for Girl Scout Cookies, I'm sure that I'm buying enough to make up for what you would have donated
I don't know, I'm surprised my face isn't on the cover of the caramel delight box.

Or the peanut butter patties.

Or the new lemon cookies.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I think this image explains it all... you should decide whether you keep on doing this or not. I say if you could imagine the devil is really being there on the bad side of the story you wouldn't dare to do a such thing... so just keep in my mind it's worthless to be a bad person and thus you should act differently and you'll also feel good with it when you stop doing this imo.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do it from time to time. Never thought it to be unethical or anything. If I see someone suspicious, I will put one of my speed-dial numbers up and keep my hand by the send button, or I will actually call Rob if he is not around. But I've done the cell phone faking before in stores or when I dont want someone saying something to me.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never done the phone faking thing, I'd be too worried that it'd ring while I was faking talking
I just say no thanks and keep walking.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is this totally unethical or mean??? .
No. I don't think so. You don't owe it to adults to give them your complete and full attention if they hound you while you are busy out trying to do your errands and they want to sell you something in front of the store. Kids, well, you can't ignore kids or pets

I just say no thanks or ignore and be on my way but I don't think using your cell is much different. Same thing as not interested. It would be funny if it rang while you were doing that!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luckily here they can only camp out at the doors of the stores, not actually inside the store. I haven't ever had a problem with the people trying to get donations. They always take a "No, thanks" as the answer and move on.
The only person I was ever accosted by was a political group trying to get me to sign a petition I didn't believe it, which ended with me just walking away and this woman screeching after me, "But it's for the CHILDREN!" (just like Helen Lovejoy in The Simpsons). As if that is going to change my mind about the initiative.

One thing I will say, though, is that sometimes purse snatchers or worse actually look for people who are distracted in parking lots. I always remember in the "don't be a victim" classes by the cops that they said to walk with a purpose and be alert and aware. The bad guys look for someone fumbling in their purse for the keys, or preoccupied on the phone because they aren't paying attention to their surroundings and would be easier to surprise. So, it may not be a good idea to actually fake-talk if you feel uncomfortable in a parking lot.