Help! My cat pees on EVERYTHING!

krittermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I'm brand new here , but I need your help and advice in the absolute worst way! I have a cat, 2 years old, female, recently spayed, who is my baby. She doesn't like anyone else. We are a house FULL of cats. They are inside/outside cats of all ages. About 2 months ago, out of the clear blue sky, Rory started peeing on things. Like the bread sack, and the table and the blood pressure monitor machine nylon cover, and the dishtowels. Every day, during the day or at nite, whenever she wanted.

I called the Humane Society and explained the situation and asked what I should do becuz my husband wants to make her stay outside all the time. She suggested putting her in a large dog carrier in which there was a litter box, food and water. She said to do this for a month. She said that should make her quit doing it. It's been about a month now, and she won't hardly come out of the crate. The lady said to let her out for very short amounts of time and closely supervise her. she loves the crate but she can't live in there. Thats cruel.

Any ideas? Why is she peeing on everything? Is she mad cuz of the other cats? I'm not getting rid of them. She doesn't ever even want to go outside, and besides she's been an indoor kitty all her life. Help PLEASE!

Thanks!
Kimmy

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any medical conditions like a urinary tract infection?? That's where I would start.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any medical conditions like a urinary tract infection?? That's where I would start.
That's my first thought as well.

The suggestion from the shelter sounds a bit odd to me. Cats are not dirty animals and won't pee or poop outside the litterbox just because. I have a couple of suggestions/questions for you.

How many litterboxes do you have? (many cat experts recommend a minimum of 1 box per cat) There could be some friction between the cats in the house (even if they use the washroom outside) when cats are stressed it will many times go straight to their bladder.

You could also try a feliway type diffuser or spray (can be bought online or at your local petstore). It may work to calm your kitty.

Also you should make sure that you either throw out or very thorougly clean the area where your kitty has been peeing outside the box.

I hope those suggestions help you, but as I said at the beginning of my post take her to the vet first to rule out UTI.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
vet first

have you changed litter s , boxes , food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krittermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should have mentioned in my first note that yes, I have taken her to the vet and had her alll checked out. She's fine. No UTI. I have 4 litterboxes and change them twice a day, plus work full time. My routine is to get up in the morning and start cleaning boxes, I use scoopable litter. Would that matter? I mean that it was scoopable instead of the regular clay kind? I do throw away EVERYTHING that she pees on. I throw away loaves of bread that I have just bought becuz she's peed on it. I've thrown away a lot of stuff becuz of this. I disinfect constantly. She potties in her potty box in her crate but constantly knocks her food over in her crate and it's in a big ceramic dish. I don't want to make her go outside and live. It's too dangerous and she's too used to being inside and I love her. Could she be jealous of the other cats? She gets lots of love and attention from me. Did I wait too long to get her spayed and now this behavior can't be stopped? The lady at the humane society said if I were to bring her in there, they would put her down. Of course I would never do that, I am an animal lover to the brink of obsession, but to put a cat down becuz she has a behavior problem? How insane. I'm at my wits end. kimmy

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Rory consistently uses her litter box in the crate and prefers to stay in the crate she may have issues with the other cats. How many cats do you have and how many boxes? As Miss Mew said the usual recommendation is one box per cat plus one extra. Is it possible that one of the other cats is intimidating Rory when she goes to the litter box? She may feel safe from the other cats in the crate.

Good luck in finding a solution to Rory's problem. I know how frustrating litter box issues can be.