Sukkot

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Sukkot is a fall harvest festival celebrated by Jews all over the world. we construct a sukkah (must have three sides, an opening so you can see the stars and not be a permanent home). Here is ours all decorated and ready for parties.... we eat in it all week from last night on.

Happy Sukkot !!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's beautiful! I'd never heard of Sukkot before, but I love the idea of harvest celebrations. It seems appropriate to show appreciation for the amazing things the planet can do with a little water, soil, and sun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

It's beautiful! I'd never heard of Sukkot before, but I love the idea of harvest celebrations. It seems appropriate to show appreciation for the amazing things the planet can do with a little water, soil, and sun!
The Pilgrims Thanksgiving was based on this ancient holiday.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's so pretty! I know I'd heard the word Sukkot before but I didn't know what it was. Do you eat special foods for the celebration? I guess like how turkey or pumpkin pie are traditional Thanksgiving foods here.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We lived across from a temple in Indiana before we moved here. When they built their sukkah, always around late September, I thought it for a Halloween event for the kids. When we moved to New York, there was an article in the paper that gave the history of Sukkot. Thanks for your picture and educating people.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boss is Jewish and I have learned SO much about Judaism through knowing her.
Sukkot is a beautiful holiday. It's funny but the walls to her old Sukkah are my office walls currently.
She's crafty with her home accents....

The best thing is the foooood omg the food my boss cooks is so good.

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dauntingfire

My boss is Jewish and I have learned SO much about Judaism through knowing her.
Sukkot is a beautiful holiday. It's funny but the walls to her old Sukkah are my office walls currently.
She's crafty with her home accents....

The best thing is the foooood omg the food my boss cooks is so good.
then you should try to 'enjoy' his food in Passover

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little house just went up at the temple on my block (I'm bound in by a church on one end and a synogogue on the other end of the block --my mother says someone is trying to tell me something
)

Thanks for sharing, yours is much prettier!

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are just adorable! I love the pictures of them in the flower pots!
And your Sukkah is very lovely - I would always want to eat my meals there!
Thank you for sharing.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Oh that's so pretty! I know I'd heard the word Sukkot before but I didn't know what it was. Do you eat special foods for the celebration? I guess like how turkey or pumpkin pie are traditional Thanksgiving foods here.
just fall foods..... especially if it's cold out brrrrrrrr

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Living on the far north side of Chicago, we have the Sukkot-mobile sponsored by the Lubavich organization. It's a sukkah on a flatbed truck that drives around with a sign that says "Happy Sukkot". I think it may blast music as well.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Summerkid710

Living on the far north side of Chicago, we have the Sukkot-mobile sponsored by the Lubavich organization. It's a sukkah on a flatbed truck that drives around with a sign that says "Happy Sukkot". I think it may blast music as well.
yes denver had a sukkah mobile too. and the rabbis came to visit with lulav and etrog. but they won't shake a women's hand, she might be ritually "unclean"

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The client that I worked at today are Jewish and I happened to look up at the second floor deck and saw a three sided blue tarp with corn stalks on the "roof". I thought of this post.
I wasn't able to ask however as the homeowner was ill today but I'll have to ask next week.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

The client that I worked at today are Jewish and I happened to look up at the second floor deck and saw a three sided blue tarp with corn stalks on the "roof". I thought of this post.
I wasn't able to ask however as the homeowner was ill today but I'll have to ask next week.
yep!!! that's a sukkah. isn't it great? Christians call this holiday the feast of tabernacles but i don't know when they observe it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abigail

yep!!! that's a sukkah. isn't it great? Christians call this holiday the feast of tabernacles but i don't know when they observe it.
The children's church at my church celebrates that together every year instead of Halloween. It's done in October but geneally not on Halloween. The head of the children's church likes to teach the kids about where our holidays and customs came from. I don't think they do it 'properly' but every year it gets better.