TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › I need a good urine odor eliminator
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a good urine odor eliminator

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I need a urine odor eliminator that WORKS and is AFFORDABLE!! I need to do a lot of carpets. I know someone on here was talking about vinegar and water mixture. Does that work to make the cat stop going on the carpet or does it just make it so we can't smell it? Also what is the ratio between vinegar and water and what is the best way to use that solution? I have looked at the nok out website also. Has anyone here used that? Does it really work?
post #2 of 10
I have used (bought the biggest jug of vinegar I could find at WM) white vinegar. My previous dog was very ill and went on the carpets. I used it STRAIGHT. It gets the smell out. If you don't have a steam cleaner, you might want to rent one or use a wet vac.

As far as cats going onto the same spot, they may need some training, or use foil or keep a vinegar/water spray bottle near by and when you catch them, squirt!
post #3 of 10
I used Nature's Miracle for a whole CHUNK of my carpet that my cat was going on. I soaked the whole area in the stuff, and then placed a PLASTIC carpet runner on top of the whole area and put a few heavy objects on top of it for almost two weeks. It got all the smell out, and on top of that, because of the plastic and the heavy objects around the area, the cats couldn't comfortably go in the spot anymore, and completely forgot about it; I haven't had any accidents since.

If the cats start going ON the carpet runner, you can flip it over so the spiked-side is up. They don't like that at all.

It takes a long time for it to dry this way, but it makes sure the enzymes get EVERYTHING. Which is helped by the added pressure of the objects on top of the plastic. I think it was a little damp when we first took the runner off, but we just vacuumed the area and it dried relatively quickly after.
post #4 of 10
Check out www.stinkypets.com. You pay $10 for the "recipe" and pages of instructions but making the solution is VERY inexpensive. Most of all, it WORKS. Saved my sofa last week!

Cally
post #5 of 10
Anyone have suggestions for cleaning tile/linolium floors? I've used vinegar and vodka and they only sort of work and neither keep her from going back.
post #6 of 10
See my above post.
post #7 of 10
I've done that and I just treated my floors with that recipe last weekend and it didn't seem to help much.
post #8 of 10
It's probably not the smell that keeps them coming back, twsty. Chances are, your cat is in the habit of going there, so aside from cleaning, you either have to make that spot inaccessible or undesirable to your kitty.. and make sure her litter box is more desirable than the accident spot.

Tin foil on the spot where you don't want her to go helps, or double-ended tape because cats don't like the feeling of it. Also, citrus smells repel cats, so you could put some orange peels around the area as well. As for her litter box, make sure it's kept REALLY clean. She might just be picky.
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I've done that and I just treated my floors with that recipe last weekend and it didn't seem to help much.
Maybe they don't like the litter? What about putting up that plastic runner like the previous poster said. They need to be trained, send them here, I'll work on them!
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_Elle View Post
It's probably not the smell that keeps them coming back, twsty. Chances are, your cat is in the habit of going there, so aside from cleaning, you either have to make that spot inaccessible or undesirable to your kitty.. and make sure her litter box is more desirable than the accident spot.

Tin foil on the spot where you don't want her to go helps, or double-ended tape because cats don't like the feeling of it. Also, citrus smells repel cats, so you could put some orange peels around the area as well. As for her litter box, make sure it's kept REALLY clean. She might just be picky.
It's been a problem for years. She is unphased by tinfoil! Part of it is that she VERY picky about her box and part of it is if she's feeling ignored. I had some citrus air fresheners that seemed to help... I need to get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcats View Post
Maybe they don't like the litter? What about putting up that plastic runner like the previous poster said. They need to be trained, send them here, I'll work on them!
I may have to try those.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › I need a good urine odor eliminator