How to manage multiple cat feedings with one big fatty?

chrisstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have 3 cats, one's definitely overweight, will eat anything.

The second is medium sized, maybe 1 or 2 lbs overweight but not too bad, will only eat dry food.

The third is perfect size, you can feel his ribs and he has a waist and will also eat wet or dry.

The fatty will get upset if you dont give him food to where he displays bad behavior like crying and even biting if we dont pay attention. We eventually cave in because we know its not healthy to starve him, so we try to give him just a tiny bit of dry throughout the day since he'll snack (and then some if we let him)

We're using nutro Natrual Choice- its the only food the second cat will eat that wont make her throw up (She's a sensative princess hehe)

Is there any feasible way to manage feedings to help the fatty loose weight without upsetting the picky princess and not having the fatty eat everyone else's food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Which natural choice are you using....??? see in this case the adult has 30% more fat than the wt mgmt but the same protein leval...

How old are they???

Is soy a problem??

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my free fed bowl in a spot where my fat cat can't jump up to.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a fatty that gobbles his dinner and then steals the rest of his sister's.

I just feed them in seperate rooms for the time being, they're still very young.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrisstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using the adult indoor formula. We've tried the weight management but for some reason the picky kitty throws it up.

I've elevated the free feed bowl so they aren't leaning over to gobble it up- it has helped with the throwing up some, but some foods she just doesn't take to. Perhaps I can try it again.

I know if a cat eats enough weight management food it defeats the purpose.

One of our challenges here at home is that I'm often at school or work, while my husband works at home. This is wonderful to give everyone the time and attention they need because at least one of us is home to stimulate and play with the cats, but it is very difficult to have separate feeding times.

The fatty will always find a way to the other's food.

I was thinking of trying to feed him in a separate room, but we are also fostering a 4th cat for another month or two until my mom is ready to take him in so he's thrown off all of our schedules.

I really appreciate you all trying to help, its just hard to juggle 4 cats now especially when one will actually jump on you at 6am and bite you because he's hungry even though he only ate a few hours ago.

I'd like a way to get him to cut back and let the other cats still free feed because they don't actually eat themselves into oblivion.

Right now he's heavy but I fear for him developing health issues if he keeps up his weight gain. He's about 19 lbs
Not one of the HUGE beasts you see on freak show tv, but definitely not in a healthy range to stay.

Maybe I will talk to the vet again to see if any of his patients have similar issues and have come up with good ideas to let everyone eat just the right amount.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a friend with an two obese cats and average sized weight cat. Since she lives in a studio apartment without separate rooms, the vet told her to build this little house made up of cardboard. She had to cut out a whole that was small enough to only allow the skinny cat in. I guess it worked because the two chubby cats could never get in and no longer stole her normal food. They had to stick with their diet foods (but they have barely lost any weight).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrisstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that is a cool idea
Thanks!

ferocity302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a question that has been plaguing me for quite some time!

ok here goes the run down...

All my cats are fed free for all, the fatty is pretty good about just eatting here and there - he's more muscle than fat according to the vet so I'm not too worried.

My problem is different age groups.

3 that are 11 weeks old - were bottle babies
5 that are 15 weeks old - wow they need to be adopted!
2 that are about 1 year old
1 that is 9 years old (the fatty)

How do I get them all the nutritional needs they are requiring at each stage without making the others out of balance?

The babies are in need of the most, I actually thought of going to kitten food until I can get them all adopted out.

Any ideas?

kittytales

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ferocity302

How do I get them all the nutritional needs they are requiring at each stage without making the others out of balance?
Feed an all life stages food. (Like Felidae, Timberwolf, etc)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ferocity302

This is a question that has been plaguing me for quite some time!

ok here goes the run down...

All my cats are fed free for all, the fatty is pretty good about just eatting here and there - he's more muscle than fat according to the vet so I'm not too worried.

My problem is different age groups.

3 that are 11 weeks old - were bottle babies
5 that are 15 weeks old - wow they need to be adopted!
2 that are about 1 year old
1 that is 9 years old (the fatty)

The babies are in need of the most, I actually thought of going to kitten food until I can get them all adopted out.

Any ideas?
You could do all stage but READ ... MOST all stages are just adult labelled all stage ... You really have 3 in th kitten phase and one in the senior ... Has the older one had senior blood work to rule out any issues>>??