TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How much chocolate is dangerous??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How much chocolate is dangerous??

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
While I was rearranging my cabinets one of my cats was able to get ahold of one of those plastic trays that Oreo cookies are packaged in. He started licking up the crumbs in the tray and i'm sure must have ingested some before i was able to get the tray. What constitutes a dangerous amount of chocolate for a cat? is the chocolate in an Oreo cookie even pure enough to be a risk in such a small amount?
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanlak View Post
While I was rearranging my cabinets one of my cats was able to get ahold of one of those plastic trays that Oreo cookies are packaged in. He started licking up the crumbs in the tray and i'm sure must have ingested some before i was able to get the tray. What constitutes a dangerous amount of chocolate for a cat? is the chocolate in an Oreo cookie even pure enough to be a risk in such a small amount?
I seriously doubt that ingesting a few Oreo cookie crumbs could be dangerous but you could call your Vet and ask.
post #3 of 10
I had one who craved chocolate, including Hershey's syrup! I had to watch him constantly around it.

Keep an eye on your kitty -- probably not enough to do real harm, but keep him out of your food!
post #4 of 10
Cookies crumbs are probably nothing to worry about. But do NOT let him eat any chocolate candy - the darker the chocolate the worse it is.

We have to watch Charlie and Keno around chocolate, cause both are more then willing to eat it!
post #5 of 10
Call the vet but likely the answer will be what I got when Gigi my dog got a choc chip cookie... One wont hurt keep an eye and NO DARK choc...
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
i think he ate less then i had originally thought. He seems ok, he slept a lot today but that could have been from the unseasonable heat we had here during the day because he is up and running around now and seems his usual loud, always-in-my-face, biting me for no real reason self :p
as a general rule i keep both my cats away from chocolate and pretty much all "people food" besides dry cheerios, kix, and rice chex which they seem to enjoy playing with for some reason. he just was too quick for me this time.
post #7 of 10
One problem is that cats in general find chocolate very tasty and
so, it is important not to feed it to them, otherwise they will eat
what you give them up to the point where it poisons them.

Chocolate contains the compound theobromine which is a diuretic
as well as a cardiac stimulant. This can cause the pet's heart rate
to increase or it may cause the heart to beat irregularly, both of
which can be dangerous to the animal. The level of theobromine present
in chocolate varies depending on the type of chocolate. For example,
dark chocolate contains higher levels than milk chocolate and so could
pose a greater risk to your pet.

There are many problems that can result from feeding a cat
chocolate. Chocolate is relatively high in calories so it can contribute to
the development of obesity in your cat. A cat can lose its
appetite for it's normal food if it eats chocolate. The largest problem is
though the fact that chocolate contains the chemical theobromine
as mentioned above. If this chemical builds up in the cats system,
it can be potentially lethal, and one reason for this is that cats
cannot clear theobromine from their bodies as quickly as people can.

Many cat owners would simply expect their pet to develop an upset
stomach after eating a large amount of chocolate but few realize
its lethal potential.

Further problems which can arise from chocolate poisoning are
Diuresis (increased urine production), diarrhea, lethargy, vomiting,
depression, and muscle tremors. These are signs which must be
recognized by any cat owner so that the cat is not fed too much
chocolate.

Treatment for chocolate poisoning in its advanced stage can be
very unpleasant for both the cat and the owner of the cat, so it is
much better to be safe and to cut down chocolate consumption of your
cat to a minimum. If you do have worries that your cat has consumed
large quantities of human chocolate it would be wise to consult your
vet - pronto. Spotting the symptoms early on can be very beneficial and
can give the cat a much better chance of surviving any poisoning
which may have occurred.

If you wish to feed your cat chocolate, there are alternate
"chocolate" treats for cats which are produced by some pet food
manufacturers. They will either use a vegetable substitute made
to taste and look like chocolate, or they will take out the
theobromine, or use greatly reduced, safe levels in the chocolate treats they
produce. While a very small amount of chocolate may not be
harmful to some cats, it is always safest to avoid giving any to them at all.
post #8 of 10
A few years ago, my roommate's young son was visiting and he gave a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream to Buster when I was at work. He didn't know better and succumbed to Bussy's yells for ice cream. Buster was totally fine after that. In fact, he didn't eat the large chunk of cookies!! He would suck off the ice cream and then spit out the cookie. When I came home, I found a pile of oreo crumbs and pieces in the bowl
post #9 of 10
I wouldn't worry about regular oreos at all, look at the ingredients. Chocolate is listed as the very last ingredient, meaning there's not very much that's actually in them.

Obviously not an ideal snack though, kitties don't need sugary treats.
post #10 of 10
Charlie's extent of ice cream is a few licks of vanilla only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › How much chocolate is dangerous??