I think I should be up for a "Dummie" award

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Today I woke up and it was a bit cool in the apartment. The windows were still open, so that's normal. I figured I'd just go take a nice warm shower so that would make me feel better.

I turn on the water in the shower and it feels kind of cold. I turn it to warmer, and it becomes acceptable, but not really warm. I end up taking my shower with the hot water set at maximum (which normally would boil me alive) and it's barely even warm.

So I think to myself "darn.... I'm gonna have to call the landlord and have that fixed... I don't know how long that's gonna take... and I hate cold showers"
I was in a pretty bad mood about it.

Then I realized.... wait.... didn't I play with the fuse box a few days ago? And wasn't I confused about which fuses to turn on and off? MAYBE I might have accidentally turned off the water heater.

Yep. That was it. The water heater has been off for a few days.

Good thing I realized before calling the landlord.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few days?! I amazed there was any warm water at all... glad you got it figured out though. We just had a hot water pipe burst in our laundry room walls this week... now we have a gaping hole in the ceiling. Good thing my kitties don't climb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

LOL, ya, that would have been just a little embarrassing.
actually, I've done something similar before. In my previous apartment, I didn't have access to the fuse box so every time I had problems I had to call the landlord.

One night, at maybe 10pm, I realized that nothing was working in the bedroom (no light, no TV, no alarm clock...) so I called the landlord to reset the fuse. He wasn't happy about being called so late and asked if it could wait til morning, and I said no, I needed it fixed now. So he went and reset the fuse then call me to tell me that everything seemed ok, so he doesn't know why it hadn't been working.
In the mean time, I had realized that the things in my bedroom were just unplugged (there was only one plug for the whole room, so everything was plugged together). So I just told my landlord it was working now and thanked him for fixing the fuse.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

In the mean time, I had realized that the things in my bedroom were just unplugged (there was only one plug for the whole room, so everything was plugged together). So I just told my landlord it was working now and thanked him for fixing the fuse.

Oh my! You should put a bag over your head for that one!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
All of the electronics manuals have the instruction to check to see if it is plugged in first before calling. So you are not alone.

I'm glad you figured it out before all you had was a totally cold shower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

A few days and you still had hot water? That must be a HUGE water tank!
I don't think it's huge, but I have a water heater just for myself. I only use hot water for my shower and for hand washing the dishes.
I think I must have turned it off on Sunday or Monday.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honey if it makes you feel any better all of our outlets are attached to the light switches on our walls. Turn off the switch and you don't have any power in the room.

WELL, one weekend our TV, Radio, Wii, and PS2 wouldn't work. It was a crisis. We called down to the maintenance people in a panic. The guy walked in, turned on the light, and walked out.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I was at one of my clients house and my mini tiller stopped working.
Neil said to bring home and take off tines as the chain fell off (what????)
Anyhow it wasn't that they throttle cable needed to be pushed in like 1/4 inch. Took all of 5 seconds.....Glad one college educated person in the house could figure that out!!