Kitten constantly licking in the same spot...

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm the proud owner of a 5 month old purebred bengal kitten, and boy is he a handful...

Over the past few days, my fiance and I have noticed that the kitten is licking himself, only in one specific spot over and over (the area around his right hip)! He's actually managed to get down to his under coat; and there are patches where his hair is so fine his skin is nearly visable...

We are worried about him quite a bit. He has been to the vet twice since we got him (in June) and he was said to be in perfect health both times. Its getting chilly quite quickly here in BC and I just don't think its shedding...

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar, or has any advice; I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Have any big changes happened in your household that may affect the little guy? Our Jasmine died almost 5 months ago and Charlie started licking bald spots when he realised what happened, he's only just started calming down when we were ready to put him on anti-depressants again. Maybe at the start your kitty was all excited and happy to be in a new home, and now he's getting bored, or needs another playmate or isn't settling in as well as you'd hoped. It's either that or something medical, but i dont know, if the vet says he is physically healthy.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are feeding him? Sometimes diet causes skin irritation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He gets fed a raw diet of chicken with ground bone, and every other day he gets a small portion of raw liver in his dinner.

He seems to be content, he gets plenty of attention and isn't acting withdrawn or skiddish. He is eating well, and goes to the bathroom regularly as well...

I'm starting to consider taking him to a different vet, just to be sure.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could be allergic to chn...

He is showing a classic allegery sign... now to find out is it seasonal>>??? What do you clean with ... Does he get a supplement in his food??

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

He could be allergic to chn...

He is showing a classic allegery sign... now to find out is it seasonal>>??? What do you clean with ... Does he get a supplement in his food??
Allergic to chicken? That would be a first.

I have very sensitive allergies to chemicals in 90% of house hold cleaning products; so hubby and I use very mild soap for all cleaning.

He gets kelp powder, flax oil and cod liver oil in very small portions with his supper.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would talk with the vet about some supplements like this ... your raw is not really complete

wildtrax dont know the site

www.felineinstincts.com this is one my vet has in her office for raw...

www.catinfo.com great info

YES chicken is an allergy in about 10% of allergic cats.. BUT .. from experience my cat was allergic to raw chicken and not to cooked.... same cat was able to eat raw rabbit but not cooked rabbit

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the exact thing happen twice in my Bengal. I'm now convinced that it's allergies in her. I ended up having to get a steroid cortisone cream at the vets to stop her licking the spot. It was in her armpit so stayed moist all the time and got infected.

In both cases before it happened she had gotten some ham so I'm now keeping her away from pork.

Overgrooming like this can also be behavioural, i.e overgrooming out of stress and boredom. If you think there's a possibility that might be it, getting a feliway diffuser would probably be very helpful in addition to playing even more with your boy.

Bengals are very active cats (as I have no doubt you're aware of) and it can take quite a lot to keep them happy and occupied. How much are you playing with him every day? Just attention isn't enough with these cats usually, they need lots of concentrated play time and mental stimulation.

silverwinged

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

I really appreciate them all.

I took Louie to a different vet today, just for a second opinion. She basically said the exact same things everyone on here has been saying! (You guys are great!)

It could be seasonal, anxiety, or a chicken allergy.
So, I'm going to feed him raw lamb instead of the chicken he has been getting, and she strongly suggested a feliway diffuser.

Anyone know where I can order one from? The vet offered to have it ordered in for about 150$.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
petco petsmart many mom and pop pet stores have it ... Where in the world are you??

it is about 40$ where I am

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silverwinged

Anyone know where I can order one from? The vet offered to have it ordered in for about 150$.
I ordered through Amazon. It was 30$ with shipping for the diffuser.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been told that in the US there's also a feliway spray. Constant licking can also be habitual & a sore spot.