Kitten licking other kitten's stitches too much?

silverkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Midori is a 6 month old kitten that just got spayed yesterday. She came home from her surgery to see her "brother"--a 12 week old kitten named Seiji. Midori has left her stitches alone almost completely but Seiji refuses to leave them alone. He continues to lick them excessively at any time--while she's eating, laying down, walking around, standing, etc. She doesn't seem bothered by this but I am because he -refuses- to stop. I ended up putting her back into her carrier with food and water but surely I can't leave her like that for long. She seems fine in the carrier, still laying around resting and had a bit of food and water, but I'm sure she'll become restless soon and want to wander.
What can I do?
The only room I could possibly lock one of them in would be the bathroom but I'm afraid Seiji would find his way stuck behind the washer or something. Midori likes to jump around on the washer, drier, and water heater to get to the window and I know she isn't suppose to be jumping. They are rarely allowed in the bathroom anyway because of these reasons.
What should I do? Is this normal? Should I just let her out and allow Seiji to clean her?

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SilverKitty

Midori is a 6 month old kitten that just got spayed yesterday. She came home from her surgery to see her "brother"--a 12 week old kitten named Seiji. Midori has left her stitches alone almost completely but Seiji refuses to leave them alone. He continues to lick them excessively at any time--while she's eating, laying down, walking around, standing, etc. She doesn't seem bothered by this but I am because he -refuses- to stop. I ended up putting her back into her carrier with food and water but surely I can't leave her like that for long. She seems fine in the carrier, still laying around resting and had a bit of food and water, but I'm sure she'll become restless soon and want to wander.
What can I do?
The only room I could possibly lock one of them in would be the bathroom but I'm afraid Seiji would find his way stuck behind the washer or something. Midori likes to jump around on the washer, drier, and water heater to get to the window and I know she isn't suppose to be jumping. They are rarely allowed in the bathroom anyway because of these reasons.
What should I do? Is this normal? Should I just let her out and allow Seiji to clean her?
No, don't allow the kitten to clean the other one or herself! My kitten got an infection from licking herself. Their tongues are so abrasive it doesn't take long for the stiches to get very irritated and infected. Hope this helps and good luck!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seiji should be isolated from Midori and not allowed to lick her sutures. Maybe you can block access to the area behind the machines using lumber, or whatever you have on hand. Midori needs to be allowed to heal! Just as any of us would in post-op.