TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Nasty headache
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nasty headache

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
This morning I had the most terrible headache. It was one that's at the base of your skull and in your forehead behind your eyes. Everytime I would move my head would throb. I put a heating pad on my neck and it went away, then I went to sleep. It must have been a tension headace. Oh those hurt sooooo bad.
post #2 of 13
Oh I hate those ! Poor you . =(
post #3 of 13
Yeah, I've had my bout of tension headaches this week with all the stuff going on at work getting ready to turn grants in. Heating pads are great - Excedrin tension headaches works really well for me too.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtigress View Post
Yeah, I've had my bout of tension headaches this week with all the stuff going on at work getting ready to turn grants in. Heating pads are great - Excedrin tension headaches works really well for me too.
Oh I love those. I get terrible migranes at least once a week and Excedrin is the only thing that works for me. I can't wait to get insurance so I can take care of them properly
post #5 of 13
Headaches are something I have every day. I have found that Excederine does a good job at making them tolerable. BC powder does a good job too, but i have to get the arthritis strength. Sorry, and hope you feel better!
post #6 of 13
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117 View Post
Oh I love those. I get terrible migranes at least once a week and Excedrin is the only thing that works for me. I can't wait to get insurance so I can take care of them properly
In the meantime you could try keeping a journal of everything you do, eat, strong smells, etc - to find out what could be a trigger for you and do your best to avoid it.
I used to get 2-3 migraines a week when I was younger... my trigger was my father, and they try to say stress doesn't cause migraines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat1 View Post
This morning I had the most terrible headache. It was one that's at the base of your skull and in your forehead behind your eyes. Everytime I would move my head would throb. I put a heating pad on my neck and it went away, then I went to sleep. It must have been a tension headace. Oh those hurt sooooo bad.
For headaches at the back of head or ones that start there, it could possibly be your neck. Tense muscles can cause headaches and even cause your neck to start to curve the wrong way - which also will cause headaches. Also try a cool wash cloth over your eyes or wrap an ice pack and put that behind your neck.
post #8 of 13
[quote=strange_wings;1990252]In the meantime you could try keeping a journal of everything you do, eat, strong smells, etc - to find out what could be a trigger for you and do your best to avoid it.
I used to get 2-3 migraines a week when I was younger... my trigger was my father, and they try to say stress doesn't cause migraines.


I've tried many things. Ima have an MRI done to see if there's a muscular problem that could be causing them. Because they always start at the back of my neck then usually wrap around to one side mainly the right side and end in my eyeballs. Pretty intense and if I have them for over 24 hours I end up vomiting.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by megagene View Post
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.
HeadOn: Apply directly to the forehead.

I read in consumer magazine that the relief from that is phycosamatic. You know, if you think it will work then it will.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeCat0117 View Post
I've tried many things. Ima have an MRI done to see if there's a muscular problem that could be causing them. Because they always start at the back of my neck then usually wrap around to one side mainly the right side and end in my eyeballs. Pretty intense and if I have them for over 24 hours I end up vomiting.
Have you had any past accidents to your neck? Falls or car accidents that would have caused whiplash?
As for getting sick - I'm usually hugging the toilet two to three hours into one. Strangely, it seems to actually help.

Tip on the mri, you have to hold very very still for several minutes. If that hurts you, take medicine ahead of time to help control the pain. Oh, and they tell you not to swallow. Let the technician know ahead of time if you're claustrophobic.

Good luck to you and anyone else here at finding out what is causing your headaches and hopefully finding something to help with them.
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Have you had any past accidents to your neck? Falls or car accidents that would have caused whiplash?
As for getting sick - I'm usually hugging the toilet two to three hours into one. Strangely, it seems to actually help.

Tip on the mri, you have to hold very very still for several minutes. If that hurts you, take medicine ahead of time to help control the pain. Oh, and they tell you not to swallow. Let the technician know ahead of time if you're claustrophobic.

Good luck to you and anyone else here at finding out what is causing your headaches and hopefully finding something to help with them.
I've had an MRI before so I kinda know the drill. I'm hoping I don't have a permanent problem due to being on the DEPO Provera shot. The migranes seemed to have gotten worse when I got on it.
post #12 of 13
Oh, I feel for you -- I had those crippling tension headaches three or four times a month for about 25 years, and only two things ever helped:

1. Percogesic is an over-the-counter painkiller -- a combination of acetaminophen and an antihistamine that's included as a "calmative." It often helped ease the pain, and if I took it immediately when I felt that kind of headache coming on, it could sometimes avert it altogether. So you might try that. (If you don't see it on the shelf, ask the pharmacist -- it's sometimes kept behind the counter, because it's a little stronger than most nonprescription medicines.)

2. Celexa is an antidepressant, and it finally put an almost-complete stop to my tension headaches! If you're having these headaches a lot over a period of months, and if you think depression and/or anxiety might be the source... you could ask your doctor about that.

I sure hope you feel better soon! Good luck!
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat1 View Post
I read in consumer magazine that the relief from that is phycosamatic. You know, if you think it will work then it will.
It's true. In all likelihood it is nothing more than a placebo, but if the desired result is acheived, isn't that all that matters ultimately?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Nasty headache