How much vodka to use?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Joey was doing good with not peeing on things, and then we bought molly a new bed. Molly is our 15 year old shihtzu and its not fair making her sleep on the carpet and not in a nice soft bed. We thought he was doing fine, but he just had a relapse all the sudden. We are going to get molly a pillow and cover it with a vinyl table cloth so that way at least if this happens again the pee wont soak into the bed....
ANYWAYS, I have read on here that vodka will remove the stain, and I was just wondering how much do I need to use on a small dog bed. It can go in the washer, and I would like to wash it and put it back out for her. I know we are at least going to leave the bed in the kitchen on the linoleum floor until we can cover it.
Also can I mix a vodka solution to spray on the floors that will work?
We are going to be putting him on bruspar (I believe that is the right name) and hoping that will work. If not, we dont know what else to do, we dont want to give him away, but we are running out of options with him.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
This doesn't say how much to use, but it's very helpful

Step One
Vodka Bottle. Any cheap brand is fine.
Pour or spray vodka on the affected area. Vodka can be put in an inexpensive atomizer ($1). Use a plant atomizer. This works for pet urine and human as well. Shopping for the least expensive vodka can be done at your supermarket.

Step Two
Plant sprayer sells at most stores for a dollar.
Spray in ventilated area or pour directly over the area. Let dry. If you have access to outdoors and sunshine that is best.

Step Three
Vodka is what they use in theater productions to remove sweat odors from costumes. They hang them on hangers and spray every evening. There is no time or budget to clean costumes between performances and it gets hot under the lights.

Step Four
Just air out and let dry. This project is not fun but it works. Try to keep it off your skin or it will dry it out.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Instead of waisting a perfectly good bottle of Vodka, you might want to consider using an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle for cats to wash the kitty bed with
It will get the scent out (even if you don't smell it- the cats can smell the enzymes left behind by cleaners that don't remove it- and it might make your kitty want to keep using that spot.)

You mentioned your kitty has issues with peeing on things- have you had him neutered? If so, have you taken him to a vet to rule out a medical issue such as bladder problems before chalking it up to behavior. If if is a bladder issue- you might could ask your vet about trying "Baytril" with him- it can help. Also- what food does he eat? Diet can play a huge role in medical issues. One of the best formulas for kitties who have UTI issues/etc is Nutro Gourmet Selections Roasted Chicken (in an orange bag) you can get it at petsmart, most other pet stores and online for a VERY reasonable price. It has GOOD grains in it that help kitties who suffer from UTI issues. That could potentially help your little man if that's what's causing these issues.

Oh yea- don't waste your money on "No Mark / No Spray"- it doesn't work
(i tried a while back lol). I feel for you though- my siamese, Jasmine had a ton of issues a few months ago- it started out as a UTI problem that caused her to go potty outside the litter pan because she associated the litter pan with pain....but after the UTI issue was gone and healed up - it turned into a behavioral issue. We wound up buying all new litter pans, using "Cat Attract" litter (omg- girl go get some of that stuff- it's AMAZING!!!!!!! it REALLY helped get my girl going to use her litter again! use it with a new litter pan). We also changed her food to the Nutro (it really helped) and had to crate her for about 3 weeks so that she would have only enough room to eat/ use her litter and sleep -and no where to go outside of the litter pan- it was horrible having to keep her in her crate- but you know what - it REALLY worked
She hasn't had an accident since then and she's now back to roaming around the house again!
Maybe some of those ideas could help your kitty!

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Step Four
Just air out and let dry. This project is not fun but it works. Try to keep it off your skin or it will dry it out.
Step Five
Drink remainder of vodka and you won't care about the stain.

I hope the BuSpar works. As I mentioned in another thread the drug buspirone is on the list of $4 prescriptions at Walmart. I don't know what a Vet charges.

mrs.harris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, since you're stressed from the cat peeing every where and you have some vodka laying around here is a nice cocktail recipe!!

1 shot of vodka
2 shots pineapple juice
2 shots orange juice
1 shot cranberry juice

and I like to add one extra shot of Malibu coconut rum, if you have it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wash the bed in hot soapy water and dry. I've never heard of the vodka stuff - think that's just plain silly.

You can get some Nature's Miracle cleaner for any pet spots to take the smell/stain out.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Instead of waisting a perfectly good bottle of Vodka,
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

Step Five
Drink remainder of vodka and you won't care about the stain.
Originally Posted by Mrs.Harris

Well, since you're stressed from the cat peeing every where and you have some vodka laying around here is a nice cocktail recipe!!

1 shot of vodka
2 shots pineapple juice
2 shots orange juice
1 shot cranberry juice

I like the way you ladies think!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are folks on this site that swear by vodka to remove odors, and claims it works just as well as Nature's Miracle and other products. And the price of a cheap bottle of vodka is less than that of Nature's Miracle.

I can't vouch that it works as I've not tried it.

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

1 shot of vodka
2 shots pineapple juice
2 shots orange juice
1 shot cranberry juice

Thanks that sounds wonderful.

Ellen

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1 shot of vodka
2 shots pineapple juice
2 shots orange juice
1 shot cranberry juice

ohh that sounds heavenly!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Instead of waisting a perfectly good bottle of Vodka, you might want to consider using an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle for cats to wash the kitty bed with
It will get the scent out (even if you don't smell it- the cats can smell the enzymes left behind by cleaners that don't remove it- and it might make your kitty want to keep using that spot.)

You mentioned your kitty has issues with peeing on things- have you had him neutered? If so, have you taken him to a vet to rule out a medical issue such as bladder problems before chalking it up to behavior. If if is a bladder issue- you might could ask your vet about trying "Baytril" with him- it can help. Also- what food does he eat? Diet can play a huge role in medical issues. One of the best formulas for kitties who have UTI issues/etc is Nutro Gourmet Selections Roasted Chicken (in an orange bag) you can get it at petsmart, most other pet stores and online for a VERY reasonable price. It has GOOD grains in it that help kitties who suffer from UTI issues. That could potentially help your little man if that's what's causing these issues.

Oh yea- don't waste your money on "No Mark / No Spray"- it doesn't work
(i tried a while back lol). I feel for you though- my siamese, Jasmine had a ton of issues a few months ago- it started out as a UTI problem that caused her to go potty outside the litter pan because she associated the litter pan with pain....but after the UTI issue was gone and healed up - it turned into a behavioral issue. We wound up buying all new litter pans, using "Cat Attract" litter (omg- girl go get some of that stuff- it's AMAZING!!!!!!! it REALLY helped get my girl going to use her litter again! use it with a new litter pan). We also changed her food to the Nutro (it really helped) and had to crate her for about 3 weeks so that she would have only enough room to eat/ use her litter and sleep -and no where to go outside of the litter pan- it was horrible having to keep her in her crate- but you know what - it REALLY worked
She hasn't had an accident since then and she's now back to roaming around the house again!
Maybe some of those ideas could help your kitty!
Yea we've had him neutered. But he is also declawed (not my choice!) so I know that that is part of it. Before we moved, he didnt really have a problem with peeing on things, just he would get annoyed if the litter box was dirty (he got used to having an automatic one) and would sometimes go on the rug in front of the box. But since we moved he just got bad, and we tried to be understanding, but we have lived here for over a year, and are about to move again...
He was going on my moms bed, so I bought some no mark spray and it seemed to help. He has stopped going on the bed, but still likes the dog bed. We dont know why, but its frustrating, and right now mom is wanting to get rid of him, but she wont because she is getting ready to move out.
We have some spray enzyme cleaner that works great for the carpet, but I didnt know about dumping it in the washer, so I wanted to use vodka.
Now as for that drink, I might have to try it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Yea we've had him neutered. But he is also declawed (not my choice!) so I know that that is part of it. Before we moved, he didnt really have a problem with peeing on things, just he would get annoyed if the litter box was dirty (he got used to having an automatic one) and would sometimes go on the rug in front of the box. But since we moved he just got bad, and we tried to be understanding, but we have lived here for over a year, and are about to move again...
He was going on my moms bed, so I bought some no mark spray and it seemed to help. He has stopped going on the bed, but still likes the dog bed. We dont know why, but its frustrating, and right now mom is wanting to get rid of him, but she wont because she is getting ready to move out.
We have some spray enzyme cleaner that works great for the carpet, but I didnt know about dumping it in the washer, so I wanted to use vodka.
Now as for that drink, I might have to try it!
you should be able to use the enzyme cleaner in your washing machine
i use nature's miracle in the wash all the time!
Jasmine did the same thing with going potty on our guest bedroom bed- it got soo horrible (even after the medicine cured her UTI, after the food change, after new litter pans and "Cat Attract" litter- because at that point it became behavioral) The ONLY thing that worked when she was at her worst was crating her in a small cat chage for a few weeks there with just enough room for her food, litter, water, and a small bed- she had to relearn that the litter was just for potty and her bed was just for sleep....etc.) I know it sounds cruel- but it REALLY worked. We started to let her out of the cage while we were there to supervise her and if we saw her start to squat or go to her favorite "accident spots"- we immediately picked her up and crate her again. She eventually learned to use the litter pan in her crate, not the house. It worked...it took sooo much patience- but it really worked (Jasmine was declawed by a previous owner too so i understand where you're comming from
). Also the best cat litter i found to really help her go to using the litter pan again was "Cat Attract" - it REALLY works- you do need to start with a new litter pan though- and keep using the litter even if your kitty has an accident- be consistant. (it's a little pricy- but you shouldn't have to use it more than a few weeks- so it's worth it
)

Has your kitty been taken to the vet to have a UTI ruled out yet? What food is it eating?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can personally vouch for the vodka working on cat urine. Mojo decided she was mad when I changed her litter the first time (and didn't lock her out of the room...Meowmy learned quick!) and went and peed where the litterbox was.
(Yes, she had other options, she was just mad.) Since we didn't have any enzymatic cleaners, I used some cheap vodka I had. Got the stain out. Got the smell out. The cats never even sniffed the area again.

A good friend of mine got a direct hit from a skunk. (She was out feeding ferals at night and felt something furry brush against her leg. It wasn't a cat!
) Anyway, I had recently read about the vodka thing and she figured it couldn't hurt to try it on her clothes. She threw her clothes and jacket in the washer with 1/2 cup of vodka. It got the skunk smell out!

So, the moral of the story is that yes it is good to drink (I prefer Kamikazis myself
), but it does definitely for sure work on organic smells and stains too!