Green snakes

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
A lot of my hubby's colleagues are deployed right now with the airforce, so we are checking up on there family members and making sure if they need anything that they call us...
Well today he gets a call from one of the wives, apparently her back yard has a green snake problem, now pest control wont do anything about it because they are non venomous, Hubby is petrified of snakes and said he would go over and hack them with an ax, So this is where I need your help...
How do we get rid of them without hacking them up? she does need toget rid of them as she has young kids
Thanks

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

hmm not sure (thats what happens when your the third person to get the info
)
Ill double check should one deffinatly come out do you think?
I would try animal control, if not see if there is a rehabilitator close to you who deals with snakes and might remove them for you.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
If they are garter snakes they are harmless to peple and will kill and eat other pests. They like crevices and brush and rock piles to hide in, so get rid of those by placing moth balls in their hiding places. Winter is coming and they are going to go into hibernation unless you live where it's HOT.

You could also call a pest control but most snakes aren't going to react to chemicals or deterrents. Just try to make the yard less inviting: short grass no brush or rock piles. Sorry. Sime people are really creeped out by any snakes. I am only a maniac around poisonous ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
I had a look online and it seems these little snakes don't even have teeth, im sure if they bit they would still hurt, I knew the people on here would have good ideas about what to do!
Its a shame she wants to move them, as they eat nasty bugs like cocroaches

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

I had a look online and it seems these little snakes don't even have teeth, im sure if they bit they would still hurt, I knew the people on here would have good ideas about what to do!
Its a shame she wants to move them, as they eat nasty bugs like cocroaches
I only made those suggestions since you said she wanted them moved, but in all reality, they are COMPLETELY harmless and seems a shame that they have to be moved.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense, I understand that they're a part of nature, but if they were in my backyard, OMG I would seriously be freaking. I have a HUGE fear of snakes. I thought my fear of spiders was bad until I moved here and realized, "Hey, this is swamp territory" and one of the movers had a snake slither past him into some rocks. :para:

Anyway, call animal control, see what they can do. If nothing, then try the other suggestions.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always move one to your backyard and let it eat your bugs!
Yea I would try some moth balls. Good luck!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green snakes are non poisoneous - they will not hurt the kids. And hubby should NOT be killing them. They keep the mice/rat population down.

I'm not sure how to chase them out. Try calling your local DNR and asking them what they suggest.