New furnaces? Anyone know what they cost?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know what a new furnace costs now a days? With central air???

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A line pops into my head...

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

Sorry, Susie, but I have no idea. I imagine it must be really spendy.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, I know a couple things factor in, like it the furnace gas or electric, how big of a house it is going to have to cool/heat, that sort of thing, but I imagine it's a least a couple thousand.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the only way to know for sure is to get an estimate. When I had the furnace replaced when I bought this house 17 years ago, I went from oil to gas forced air, with central air. It was about $3800. I have no idea what it would be to replace it today.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the size of the area to be heated, the type of fuel being burned, how the heat gets to the house (hot air, steam, hot water to name a few), where the furnace is being placed in the house (an attic furnace is more expensive than a basement furnace due to the weight distribution), and any other work needed like new pipes or fuel lines. It will run from a few thousand to over $10thousand. At least, thats what I found when I was researching a new furnace in NJ.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we had a guy come to clean and get our furnace ready for winter, and he said that it is 26years old and we might think about getting a new one..of course my DH didn't think to ask him what that would cost.......we have a small house.......about 950 square feet.....I was just wondering if any of you had bought one recently........

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Well, we had a guy come to clean and get our furnace ready for winter, and he said that it is 26years old and we might think about getting a new one..of course my DH didn't think to ask him what that would cost.......we have a small house.......about 950 square feet.....I was just wondering if any of you had bought one recently........
My dad does heating and air.
You would have to find out if you need new ducts through the house also. That makes a HUGE price difference.
Usually on a house your size w/o duct work you're looking at around $2k

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ours was replaced 2 years ago. Our house is about 2000 sf. It was $5000 for both a heating unit and an a/c unit.

The really nice thing was that our electric and gas bills went down. The a/c bill went WAY down. I'm keeping the house cooler than I did with the old unit, and we're still paying less.

We also replaced all the windows in our house as well with high efficancy ones, so that helped as well. But that was NOT cheap.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

How old are your windows? You may want to replace them first and then think about replacing your heater.

Right now you can get a really nice deal on an equity line!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some places might be offering deals if you replace furnace and get central air.
The new furnances I hear are much more efficient that your old ones. Some power companies might have rebates too.

I don't know if this website will help: www.focusonenergy.com as its a Wisconsin website but it should have some good tips.