New Dog Park

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our county got it's first dog park and it opened up this past weekend. We took Fergus (our Springer) and it was great to see him running and playing and sniffing.

They were around 25 large dogs in our area, dogs 30 pounds and under had a separated area. All were really well behaved dogs. It was nice just seeing Fergus running and being with other dogs and he is wonderful with other dogs when he's off leash.
I was disappointed that it wasn't acres of area, but then the DH pointed out that some dogs would run off, never to be seen again if it was too big.

Do any of you have dog parks in your area too? I've been hearing about them for a long time, and it's nice to finally have one.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to travel 2 hrs to get to a dog park, but it's worth it! Ebony just loves to romp with other dogs. The only bad thing is that some dog owners are offended by the amount of drool she produces and she is very friendly and wants to say hi to all the people as well as the dogs. If I remember, I take a drool rag in with me and try to keep her less offensive. As an owner of a slobbery dog, I just don't understand how others can't embrace the drool!

I'm happy to hear that Fergus has a new dog park to enjoy!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we have a "Lab Fest" in our area. I'm on a Labrador message board and owners around the country set them up in their areas. Its a lot of fun meeting other lab owners and seeing the dogs interact and have fun.

We've been to 2 of them. This last one (in Sept) we couldn't make as it was the same weekend as the cat show. Keno is not a social dog dog, but more of a social people dog. She has fun with the other labs but refuses to go swimming with them.

We had about 10-12 labs (and a few other non-labs) in the groups. And the great thing is (we have 6 months to adult labs in the group) that EVERY lab is well behaved in commands and none of them just take off in the park - they all hang out together with other labs or the owners.

BTW will admit I HATE drool...seriously

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuleNag

As an owner of a slobbery dog, I just don't understand how others can't embrace the drool!
We started intermediate training last Saturday and with us was a Newfoundland, and her owner had a drool rag in his back pocket.

Another class member had his doberman there but he also has a mastiff and he said two words for drool on the walls: "Magic Eraser". It was too funny.

What kind of dog do you have? I don't mind drool, especially from that Newfie, gosh what a sweet dog.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dog parks rock!

We have one large one in our area, which is usually too far for me to drive and take my client's dogs to, but I do get there sometimes. It's fantastic to have a safe place to let the dogs off leash to run around and meet other dogs.
There's another small one at the Humane Society, but I never go there as it has quite a bad reputation.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

We started intermediate training last Saturday and with us was a Newfoundland, and her owner had a drool rag in his back pocket.

Another class member had his doberman there but he also has a mastiff and he said two words for drool on the walls: "Magic Eraser". It was too funny.

What kind of dog do you have? I don't mind drool, especially from that Newfie, gosh what a sweet dog.
My slobbery dog is a Newfie too!
I carry a rag in my back pocket during class too! You learn really fast that rags are your friend when you are owned by a drooler!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a dog park in our area that has I believe 4 different fenced in areas. I have never been, but we have a lot of our dogs at work that go there! Including my bosses 3 dogs.
I have to say drool doesnt bother me very much anymore after working at a doggy daycare for a year! I always crack up when I see a big newfie, or saint bernard or other big dog with a drool string hanging down to the floor!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a couple of local parks.
Be very careful and don't let your dogs drink from a community bowl or fountain. We always take out own water and bowl. There was some nasty stuff floating some of the dog parks last Spring.

And watch out for the crazies - people and dogs.