taming a once domestic cat?

meowmeowlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend had a kitten that he had purchased from a local petstore. At first it was an indoor cat, but it started to not use the litter box, etc so he kicked him out (this is before I dated him, so I dont know if the cat was litter-trained at all). Its been a couple years, and I would like to try to domesticate the now completely outdoor cat. He is really pretty nice, just very jumpy. Ive been feeding him daily and when I do he is just lovable and lets me pick him up and pet him and follows me around. But, as soon as the next morning rolls around, if I try to come near him he runs away...
I dont know what to do...anyone have any advice?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the kitty been neutered?
If not, it would be worth catching him and having that done.

I am sure that other members will have some ideas for you soon.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowmeowlove

My boyfriend had a kitten that he had purchased from a local petstore. At first it was an indoor cat, but it started to not use the litter box, etc so he kicked him out (this is before I dated him, so I dont know if the cat was litter-trained at all). Its been a couple years, and I would like to try to domesticate the now completely outdoor cat. He is really pretty nice, just very jumpy. Ive been feeding him daily and when I do he is just lovable and lets me pick him up and pet him and follows me around. But, as soon as the next morning rolls around, if I try to come near him he runs away...
I dont know what to do...anyone have any advice?
Please use a trap...it protects you and the cat. I'm hoping that he was neutered before he was made an outdoor cat. If not, that should be your first priority.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmeowlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, he's been neutered already, he's actually pretty nice...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad that you want to keep him inside.

He will have a much healthier, longer life.

Have you heard about the Feliway plug-in room diffuser?
It's a product that contains the synthetic version of the naturally occurring facial pheromones of cats?
I haven't tried it but some members find it helps calm a stressed cat.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I am so glad that you want to keep him inside.

He will have a much healthier, longer life.
Good luck with domesticating him...I know members have trouble with meowing cats that want to go out. I hope you can manage it

meowmeowlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the positive reinforcement!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by meowmeowlove

thanks for all the positive reinforcement!!!
I think that we can all use some positive reinforcement now and them.

Would you like a treat?

Good luck with this boy and keep us updated please.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the same techniques we use with ferals. Sit outdoors with him and just hang out, pet him on his terms, act overly comfortable (lie on your belly, yawn, stretch; act like a vulnerable, friendly cat), etc.

The only real mistake you can make in terms of cat etiquette would be to try too hard.

Get him defleaed and dewormed, etc (by a vet, please! The over the counter stuff is ineffective and possibly fatal for the cat) and try leaving a door open. Sit in the room inside the open door, but don't pay attention to the cat and whether he is coming in or not. If he does, act like it's the most natural thing in the world. If he doesn't, try again another time.

Also, when feeding him, do it as close to the house as possible, you could try slowly bringing the food inside a little more, like an inch at a time.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I've had a hard time trying to tame a 5 year old stray...she had an owner once but she's a stubborn girl and doesn't want to be 'owned' now!

I'm sure with time and patience he'll come around.
You can do it! Please keep us updated with your progress.

meowmeowlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good news! he now waits outside for me every morning and night at the same time when I tend to feed him, so hopefully that means he's going to be hanging around a little more...

mzoricak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All this advice is excellent. You really don't KNOW what your boyfriend did to the cat do you? You only know what he tells you. Maybe he didn't keep the box clean, maybe he used a clay litter and let it get too wet, maybe he didn't pay attention to the cat, maybe he just didn't want to be bothered.

How does he act with the cat? That will be very telling. If he acts like he doesn't care, then I would be very very cautious about having HIM around. Keep the cat, get rid of him.

I don't mean to worry you, but you have to open your eyes to any possibility. What kind of temper does he have? Does the animal act like it's been traumatized or abused?

Definitely get it to a vet for de-flea, treatment for tapeworm because they come from fleas( you have to do both), and checked out for any worms or parasites. All easily treated with meds, and you can put the liquid meds in the food if need be.

Keep us posted.