Help! My kitten is pooping on dh's bed!

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is about 12 weeks old now, perhaps 13. She is sweeeeet and lovely, we just adore her. BUT: 2 times now she has pooped on our bed, on the same spot both times, and on dh's side, even!!! That is soooo bad!! He's not much of an animal person. He doesn't dislike her, but doesn't have fuzzy feelings about her either. He's protective of our animals and would never dream of hurting them or being mean in any way. But she does seem a little unsure of him. He's a very calm person, by the way, with a soft voice.

The first time was a few days ago and it was diarreah, which I thought was due to eating too much of our adult cat's food. So I figured she had had an innocent accident. After that her poo has been normal, formed. And then today I saw formed poo on that same spot, so I don't know what to make of that. This can not have been a simple accident. She's been using her litterbox just fine otherwise. And the first time it happened it was on top of a heavy comforter, and that's been in the wash. So today there were just the sheets, so I don't think she could have smelled anything from last time it happened. I know they tend to go back to urine spots, but I've not heard about poo.

Any ideas of what this may indicate? Is it a mental disturbance, or her perhaps feeling uneasy around dh and this is a way to show it? Or illness? In which case I would have thought it would have happened in other areas as well.

I am feeling so bad about this, she seems to be the "perfect" cat in every way, but this I cannot deal with if it's going to continue on. The kids absolutely love her, too.
Help! What can I do???

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has she been spaded?

What are you feeding her? Is it quality food - quality food does not contain animal digest or meat by-products. These products give poor cat behavior IMO.

Has she had a bath since you brought her home? She might be telling you to wash her, she probably poops on the bed because she knows you will wash the blanket, it's probably her way of showing you she wants a bath.

Maybe someone else will give you more ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's on Nutro natural kitten kibble.

I have not bathed her; she self grooms very well and when I tried washing her feet off the other day, she went almost hysterical. I doubt she wants a bath, I think that would be almost like torturing her.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep her out of the bedroom. Shut the door and don't let her in AT ALL. Then see if it continues to happen. Hopefully, within time, she will forget about the behavior and you can let her back in.

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So they do forget? I was hoping that; she is quite young and we will be keeping it closed. How long much time do you think is needed for her to forget?

Have any of you used Nature's Miracle before? Does it work for poo? How about after I stick sheets and blankets in the washing machine on hot, with sanitary cycle, do I still need to apply Nature's M.? And how am I to use it, anyway; just spray it on, or wash with it?

Thank you a bunch; this was such a let-down after falling so in love with her, thinking she's just the perfect cat. I still think she is, but this has to be dealt with. I appreciate your help, everyone!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed it, but have you ruled out medical reason........first time being diarrhea is not a good sign, It could be a digestive or control problem, maybe digestive, food or other allergy......Should be vet checked.....

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Maybe I missed it, but have you ruled out medical reason........first time being diarrhea is not a good sign, It could be a digestive or control problem, maybe digestive, food or other allergy......Should be vet checked.....
OK, we will be going to the vet shortly anyway, so will check it out then. But isn't it common for them to get diarreah if they eat food they are not used to? She did get into the adult cat food several times the day or two prior, and I didn't think it would be a big deal, but now I have kept her away from it.

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind, this kitten is still very young. An accident or two after moving to a new home isn't entirely unexpected.

How did you clean the blanket/comforter/whatever after the first time she pooped on it? Residual odor could encourage her to keep pooping there. Is she pooping on it when you're in the bed? When you're not home? When you're in another room?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure you wash the comforter with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or something similar to remove ALL traces of her odor. Then, get a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th litterbox for her. She's so young, could be that she can't make it to the litterbox when she needs to go. They're kinda like children at that age...when they gotta go, they gotta go NOW! LOL

Stephanie

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may need worming if she has never been to the vet yet. But please don't use an over the counter wormer. Get something from the vet!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

Keep in mind, this kitten is still very young. An accident or two after moving to a new home isn't entirely unexpected.

How did you clean the blanket/comforter/whatever after the first time she pooped on it? Residual odor could encourage her to keep pooping there. Is she pooping on it when you're in the bed? When you're not home? When you're in another room?
This is what I was thinking. She probably had an accident the first time and the smell brought her back. NM will work on poo as well, but you have to soak the spot and let it sit for several minutes. Young kittens, like young children, can get engrossed in what they're doing and ignore the call of nature until it's too late.

I would also have the vet give you a wormer if she has not already had one. Very common for kittens to have worms. Good luck and don't forget to share some pictures in the Fur Picts forum...we love kittens.

else

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement!
She was checked by a vet by the shelter before I got her; wormed, vaccinations, tested for illess etc.

The lady from the shelter called today to check up on us, as well as setting up appointment for her 3rd (I think) distemper shot, so I told her what had happened. She immediately said our house is too big for her to roam around in, so either confine her, or get more litterboxes. So we're going to get a littlerbox on the first floor in additon to the basement, and all the bedroom doors upstairs will be closed for a few months. So then there is really nothing for her to do upstairs, and litterboxes more readily available for her.

I washed our comfortor in the bathtub after initially getting the stain and smell out. With laundry soap. I don't doubt that there could still be scent left on it, but it has been removed these last days after first time it happened. I'm thinking though, that the smell could have been in our sheets possibly, and a blanket that was under the comfortor. Those have all been put in the washing machine on a sanitary cycle (heats up almost to boiling). I'll spray the mattress with that NM stuff, cause there is still an area there that is smelly (noticable for humans).

The first time it happened was while my kids and I were sitting on the floor, reading, in my bedroom. So we were right there. The second time we were also home but not in the room. Dh thinks there is a possiblility that that the door to the basement (where her box was) may have been closed. He has seen it closed on occation, where the kids have forgotten. I have imprinted it into them now, that the door must NEVER be closed. We are going to get clild protectors on it to keep it from closing.

Whew! That's what I know for now. I think there is a lot of hope for this precious kitty. I think with getting more boxes and removing the smell + keeping her out of there until she's big, she will have forgotten all about that and will do her duty properly.

And, she really is SOOOOOOO sweet!!! We adore her!!!!!!!
Here's a recent pic:

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My oldest did this a few times when I first got her.

Is your comforter goose or duck down? Anyway, mine was white, and I heard they didn't like the citrus smells so I had it cleaned and sprayed it down with lemony anti-cat stuff and it didn't work.. the next time I washed it with a ton of oxy clean and bleach, she never did it again.
I kinda theorized that she could smell the feathers and wanted to cover it with her own scent? I don't really know but she was always sniffing before she went so that's kinda what I figured.