elderly cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got an older cat, he's 18 now with health issues.

One thing I've noticed lately is that he's definitely been getting hard of hearing. He doesn't respond to my voice or other sounds the way he used to. I'm assuming this is a normal part of growing older.

I've been trying to compensate when getting his attention by flashing lights or stomping on the floor to generate vibrations. Often this doesn't work, either. I'm guessing perhaps is eyesight is also not what it used to be. Although the vibration thing kind of confuses me. Is is possible for his sense of vibration to also be going in his old age?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What other issues??

When was the last senior panel done??

Last vet check

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's got kidney issues and anemia and inflammatory bowel disease and circulation problems especially in his hind legs and honestly I can't remember it all.

He's currently on subcutaneous fluids every other day, and half a pill of predisone every day or so, and flagyl, plus procrit. He used to be on special food for the kidneys, but he lost tons of weight and the vet suspects he's perhaps got some undiagnosed cancer in a part of his body that she can't feel (i.e. in the chest cavity or skull, etc) or perhaps heart problems (although he had a ultrasound a couple years ago after a murmur was found which was negative). So he's back on normal food now and is eating more and has gained some weight (although he's still grossly underweight).

He's due up for his 6-month physical pretty soon now, although he's been in to the vet several times since the last one to check on how the procrit is doing with his anemia and to deal with all the weight loss issues.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reasearch foods./... the typical kindey RX from the vet is no high enough in calories ... Read the sticky CRF kidney link on this forum will give lots of info

hearing can go with age but likely is connected to one of the issues already present but be sure to tell the dr next visit

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lucky you...
18 years together.

You are taking such good care of your precious senior kitty.
I don't have any sugestons for you except to say, savor every moment that you have together and if you develop serious concerns about a health change...
call your vet right away.
Healthy vibes are on the way for your boy.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the good thoughts.

Rascal is doing fairly well now. He had lost a bunch of weight over the course of a month or so maybe 4 or so months ago, and had gotten down to skin/bones/fur and I was worried that it was almost the end for him, but since then he's pretty much stabilized with the slight gaining back of some weight, etc. So hopefully he'll be around for a while longer.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is doing a little better....
That is good news.

Rascal.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

hearing can go with age but likely is connected to one of the issues already present but be sure to tell the dr next visit
I took Rascal to the vet today and mentioned the hearing issue. She said it was old age. Otherwise, he's doing pretty good, considering his age and health issues. She agreed he shouldn't go back on the prescription kidney diet since he basically won't eat it.

Now just waiting for the blood test results...

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's good that you have a vet who listens to what you are saying about Rascal and his food.
Here is a hug for you and your precious senior boy.

Rascal

I will be watching for your updates.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for your boy. I know what its like looking after an aging pet. My older cat is 16 next month & my dog is 14 1/2 yrs & failing fast with arthritis, demantia, deafness & failing sight. With the help of pain relief & Sasha's blend for her arthritis its under as much control as can be. I'm playing the waiting game & as said, cherishing every day.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had great luck with elderly cats adding this to their food:

Pet's Alive! supplement
http://www.gardensalive.com/product....cd2=1192302809

I've had several elderly cats with dry fur and lack of appetite perk right up and I feed this dusted onto their dry food for mine.

You might want to check the ingredients since he would have protein issues, but it's mostly vitamins and minerals.

Some love it, but some don't.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Werebear

I've had great luck with elderly cats adding this to their food:

Pet's Alive! supplement
http://www.gardensalive.com/product....cd2=1192302809

I've had several elderly cats with dry fur and lack of appetite perk right up and I feed this dusted onto their dry food for mine.

You might want to check the ingredients since he would have protein issues, but it's mostly vitamins and minerals.

Some love it, but some don't.
CAUTION contains GARLIC....

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your good thoughts.

Rascal has an elevated white blood cell count, indicating an infection (possibly a cold since his nose is running a little), so now he's on antibiotics for the next two weeks, and which point I take him back in to the vet. He's not going to be so happy about more pills...

CAUTION contains GARLIC....
Is garlic bad for cats?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not feed my kitties garlic, but some people do with no problems.
I would be conservative about introducing garlic to an ill kitty.

Sending vibes that the antibiotics clears this up quickly.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerlily0

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts.

Rascal has an elevated white blood cell count, indicating an infection (possibly a cold since his nose is running a little), so now he's on antibiotics for the next two weeks, and which point I take him back in to the vet. He's not going to be so happy about more pills...

Is garlic bad for cats?
Garlic is a catch 22 in my book... it can cause anemia ( which can be fatal ) at an unknown dose in each cat .... it could be 1 mg in one cat and 2000000 mg in another... IF USED it should be under a holistic vets guidence(IMHO)

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Garlic is a catch 22 in my book... it can cause anemia ( which can be fatal ) at an unknown dose in each cat .... it could be 1 mg in one cat and 2000000 mg in another... IF USED it should be under a holistic vets guidence(IMHO)
And since he already has anemia, I should give it a pass. Thanks for the info.

tigerlily0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, finally, with some help from you fine folks, I have a digital camera!

I just got it today (I ordered it from Amazon.com and of course Rascal had to jump in the box right away
). I've taken a few amateur pics, and here's him in the box:

There are some more (pretty awful) pics at my account on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigerli...571569/detail/

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rascal is adorable! I just love tuxedo kitties!

Give Rascal acidophilus (probiotics) while he's taking the antibiotics, as well as for a couple of weeks after they're done since antibiotics stay in the body for awhile. The acidophilus will help keep the beneficial bacteria in his digestive system, and may help prevent GI distress (upset tummy, diarrhea) that is common with antibiotic use. You can mix the contents of one capsule in his food once per day. There are also probiotics available specifically for cats, but they may be hard to find in local stores.

Is the elevated white cell count the only thing found on the blood work? You mentioned Rascal was on a kidney diet for awhile. How are his kidney values now?

Status
Not open for further replies.