Motiation...what motivates you to do things?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a questions for everyone....what motivates you to do the things you need to do and why? What REALLY motivates you to do the things you need to accomplish in your life/career, gym etc?

What do you do when you aren't feeling so motivated and need to get yourself out of a "don't care" rut?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dunno. Food?

Actually, probably going home being away from all people & snuggling with my kitties. I am a hermit.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just make myself believe I don't have any other choice. Not doing it, isn't an option.

Like going pee..You have to go. You can't put it off. It will be done.

So when I think that I am not "feeling" up to getting on that treadmill, I tell myself "You don't have a choice."

Then after I am done I am happy.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, we have been there! Sometimes you just fall into a "don't care" attitude...it depends on the situation how we get out of it.

If we are in a rut, we try to get out of it by doing things that make us happy like going for a walk, being with our cats, doing activites we enjoy...we need to get out of that mood in order to get back to being motivated again. Doing stuff like that kick starts our motivation. We can do it! We will do it!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I dunno. Food?

Actually, probably going home being away from all people & snuggling with my kitties. I am a hermit.
Natalie!! you are so funny

in my case I need to find something to motivate me because I am completely unmotivated
my kitties are the main motivation to go to work cause they need fed, but other than that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Natalie!! you are so funny

in my case I need to find something to motivate me because I am completely unmotivated
my kitties are the main motivation to go to work cause they need fed, but other than that
same here
aside from working my butt off to put food on the table/etc and help run the house, i'm just exhausted and completly unmotivated. (not good! i've never ever been that way before- but lately i'm just not motivated to do much of anything.) i've been just trying to make myself do stuff (go to the gym, clean house, etc but i still am not motivated) i'm also completly not motivated to plan my wedding much or do hardly anything else. i'm really excited about it and all - but i just feel too overwhelmed to do much of anything at the moment - Colin's beeing really supportive about it though (we talked about it today) so i'm greatful i have him to keep encouraging me a bit- that helps!. I'm hoping this is just a temporary rut and i get over it very quickly. It's just a compounding thing- i'm not happy at my job, planning the wedding is stressing me out because of the money factor, and everything else ya know- so i'm just trying to break it down one thing at a time and tackle it- that seems to help a little. This stinks though- it is soooooooo not like me to be unmotivated-i used to be super active, and had about 5 projects going on at once and then i had some heart issues a while back and at doctors orders was unable to do much of anything...i got used to not doing much- so now that i can it's weird trying to start back up again! I'll get there though. You will too hon!
I'm kind of in your boat right now though just about the only things that make me happy are my animals and Colin.I feel bad though- i have a lot to be greatful for, i just physically am exhausted. I'm still just going to "make" myself do stuff and hope that helps.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One thing i HATE doing is mowing my yard. I will wait till the very last minute to do it. Sometimes after work i work out and when i come home i feel energized so i normally try to do it on those days. Most of the time, once i start something i dont mind doing it.
Now when it comes to house cleaning, i'll start one thing and before i know it i've done ten things and sometimes i have 3 things going on at one time LOL I'd much rather sit on my couch with my babies and watch lifetime!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nikki, are you sure there isn't a health factor in you being stuck in this "rut"? I know you've said before that sometimes some of your health issues can get you down in the dumps.....

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yasmine

One thing i HATE doing is mowing my yard. I will wait till the very last minute to do it. Sometimes after work i work out and when i come home i feel energized so i normally try to do it on those days. Most of the time, once i start something i dont mind doing it.
Now when it comes to house cleaning, i'll start one thing and before i know it i've done ten things and sometimes i have 3 things going on at one time LOL I'd much rather sit on my couch with my babies and watch lifetime!!
Humm maybe i should start hitting the gym after work and instead of my days off (because they're spaced weird.) I need to get on a regular schedule. I agree though- once i start something- i will tend to keep it up, it's just the whole getting into the swing of things and starting something up that makes me feel overwhelmed.

The house cleaning i like though- i love to keep the house tidy so that's not an issue.
Fortuantely! Now if i could just motivate the kitties to scoop their own litter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Nikki, are you sure there isn't a health factor in you being stuck in this "rut"? I know you've said before that sometimes some of your health issues can get you down in the dumps.....
I'm not sure.
I have a slight suspecion it might be my bc pill. A few months ago my doctor switched me off one i had been on for years and put me on a new one that's supposed to help me more with my severe cramping/etc. (I have polycystic ovarian syndrome- so i was desperate - if there was a chance it'd help, i was game!) She switched me off Yasmine and onto a newer version of it called "Yaz" - the thing i'm wondering about is- Yaz is also made for women with PMDD- which i do not have...so i'm wondering if some of the ingredients in there are making me worse as i have NEVER had any issues like this before. I am going to ask her about putting me back onto my old pill or another one if possible and just see if that helps. If it improves- i'll know that had something to do with it, if not- i can see if its something else. I did notice that these changes in my mood started happening right around the same time she switched my pills so i'm just curious if that has anything to do with it. No other factors have really changed that i can think of.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Humm maybe i should start hitting the gym after work
LOL well i go mon, tues and thurs. I take wednesdays off to get a breather during the week. BUT trust me-- getting in the gym (i work out at curves so its 30 minutes) is hard for me. I have to push myself but once i get in there i'm fine and feel much better after the workout.

Now if i could just motivate the kitties to scoop their own litter
THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yasmine

LOL well i go mon, tues and thurs. I take wednesdays off to get a breather during the week. BUT trust me-- getting in the gym (i work out at curves so its 30 minutes) is hard for me. I have to push myself but once i get in there i'm fine and feel much better after the workout.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
Same here! Once i get to the gym- i'm fine -i'll do an hour of cardio and then do weights/etc with no issues what so ever. It's just dragging my butt into the gym that i have the issue with

Oh and i agree- it would be AWESOME if my kitties would scoop their own litter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just a questions for everyone....what motivates you to do the things you need to do and why? What REALLY motivates you to do the things you need to accomplish in your life/career, gym etc?

What do you do when you aren't feeling so motivated and need to get yourself out of a "don't care" rut?
lol greed? well not really, There are things i still i want,Not many and some i will never get(unless i win multi million lottery) such as a my own Jet, a boat that i can sail around the world with. hehe dont need just want.

When it comes to some other things, I hate to lose.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have a terrible problem with motivation. I only really "clean" clean the house when we are getting company. I straighten up, sweep, dust, but to actually REALLY clean, it's because someone else is coming to visit. The only thing that motivates me to go to work is the mortgage payment and the little thing called "food". I hate my job, but apparently I'm not motivated enough to look for another one. I have lacked motivation my entire life. Going to the gym?? LOL!! yeah, right.

Ok, I guess I have nothing positive to add to this thread.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol greed? well not really, There are things i still i want,Not many and some i will never get(unless i win multi million lottery) such as a my own Jet, a boat that i can sail around the world with. hehe dont need just want.

When it comes to some other things, I hate to lose.
Ohhhh I want a sail boat too!!!!!!

Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, I have a terrible problem with motivation. I only really "clean" clean the house when we are getting company. I straighten up, sweep, dust, but to actually REALLY clean, it's because someone else is coming to visit. The only thing that motivates me to go to work is the mortgage payment and the little thing called "food". I hate my job, but apparently I'm not motivated enough to look for another one. I have lacked motivation my entire life. Going to the gym?? LOL!! yeah, right.

Ok, I guess I have nothing positive to add to this thread.
don't feel bad love- i feel a bit like you do at the moment. the reason for me starting this thread though was to get some feedback from others to try and encourage everyone to get motivated/etc! i definitely think a few of the answers have helped too!!!

oh yea and i'll clean your house
I LOVE to clean

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're hired!!!!
When can you start?
next time i go to Va, i'm your girl!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

WooHoo!!
Of course, you realize that I would need to clean the house before you came to clean so you wouldn't think I was a slob.

It's an evil cycle. Ok, I'm now motivated.
My mom says her customers do that!!!
My mom owns her own business, cleaning homes for a living and she says that her customers do that ALL the time! It cracks her up
They're always cleaning before she gets there to clean so that she doesn't think they're messy
(they're sooo sweet! Some of them she's cleaned their homes since i was a baby!
I LOVE her customers!)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How well are you eating????
I find that if I have been eating more junk food (like soda and chips) than I usually do I do not feel as motivated!!
What works for me is to break down tasks into smaller parts and say do something that can fit in a commercial break if you are watching TV (about 2.5 mintues!!)
Or I'll set the timer on the stove/microwave and tell myself I am going to spend say 30 minutes doing this one task.
Its seems to work out pretty well!!